The Western Bulldogs Next Coach

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree entirely. They were mentally (and to some extent, physically ) weak but knew how to win a lot of footy matches when it didn't matter.

They needed a lot of practice to win when it did matter - and also benefited from facing a shot to pieces Brisbane chasing four on the trot when they finally made a GF.

Williams got them to play as a team better than the individuals in that side suggested they could. How many of that side have been spoken of a "greats"?

Wanganeen definitely.

Tredrea? Underrated for mine.

No-one else I can recall.
Wanganeen, Treadrea, Cornes brothers, Burgoyne brothers, Primus(although injured in 2004), Byron Pickett, Stuart Dew, Monty, Michael Wilson, Josh Carr, Damien Hardwick, Josh Mahoney.

That is a very talented group of players. Even though due to injury etc. a few didn't quite live up to their talent.

Wanganeen, Treadrea, Cornes brothers, Burgoyne brothers, Primus(although injured in 2004), Byron Pickett, Stuart Dew, Monty, Michael Wilson, Josh Carr, Damien Hardwick, Josh Mahoney.

That is a very talented group of players. Even though due to injury etc. a few didn't quite live up to their talent.

Hardly "greats" though, are they, bar the first two.

I have childhood flashbacks to him destroying us in at least 2 Friday night games at the WACA
I remember one of those. My Dad & I spent the game swearing at the television! The words 'bull-f------g c--t' came out of his mouth towards the end of the game, and Mum nearly had a fit. Oh, the indignity!

That's garbage. Port didn't win more flags because they choked in qualifying finals and threw away their home state advantage, despite being the best side all year. I don't put that on the coach. Some of their players were mentally weak for mine. Unlike Brisbane.

The three flags preceding Port's were all won by Brisbane. Who didn't choke in finals. What was their game plan? They didn't have one, bar having a sensational midfield, defence and plenty of options up forward.

They then suffered a serious premiership hangover in 2005/2006 - again, I don't see how this is "game plan" related. I'd be interested to see examples of players saying they'd have won more flags.

I'd also be interested to know how Port had the support of the AFL behind their back?

Lots of revisionist stuff that's well wide of the mark, here.

jump on youtube and type in open mike interview with brent guara.
made a few points on the port team during his time.

also on the afl helping Port to their flag. The afl possibly conspired against brisbane because it looks bad for the game for the same team to win 4 premierships in a raw, the AFL would rather it be shared around to begin with.
explain to me how brisbane finished second on the ladder and forced to play Geelong in the prelim in Melbourne and than forced to fly back up to Queensland with 3 days to recover whereas Port played at home and had 7 days to recover

also on the afl helping Port to their flag. The afl possibly conspired against brisbane because it looks bad for the game for the same team to win 4 premierships in a raw, the AFL would rather it be shared around to begin with.
explain to me how brisbane finished second on the ladder and forced to play Geelong in the prelim in Melbourne and than forced to fly back up to Queensland with 3 days to recover whereas Port played at home and had 7 days to recover
That is absolutely right
It caused a stink and as a result the rules have changed where the higher rated side always has the home preliminary
But if your looking for questionable premierships you can't go past Adelaide 1997 / 1998
Under any other system they would not have participated in the preliminary let alone winning premierships

But that brisbane team was head and shoulders above everyone and they geared up for finals
I don't think you can hang an opposing coach for that they were simply too strong

Voss, lappin, black, acker, Keating - 3 brownlow medalists in the guts with the. September ruckman
Bradshaw, Brown, lynch - three huge forwards
Leppitch, mal Michael - 2 great key man defenders

The supporting cast was good but with the above players in their prime in one team - tough to beat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't stand sumich for some reason.
As I said before fronk, perhaps it's time to put the personal perceptions to one side and start stacking up the facts. Sumich or Tudor stand out like beacons. Let me tell you, I thought exactly the same as you about Suma when he was at the eagirls. But Lyon knew what he wanted and headhunted the guy. He's been a revelation at Freo and is well due to run his own show now. Granted, he's not the easiest person to listen to in the media - but you can rarely fault what he is actually saying!
Otherwise, it would be hard to ignore Tudor's background either. Sincerely reckon you guys need a coach that is hoofing the barrier gate and brim full of confidence - not some stale been there/been sacked bloke that has just been filling in time at another club because there happens to be an opening eg..... Williams/Ratteno_O/Thompson/Eade. And Monty seems just a bit too close to the last few months events to not be somehow tainted.

Agree entirely. They were mentally (and to some extent, physically ) weak but knew how to win a lot of footy matches when it didn't matter.

They needed a lot of practice to win when it did matter - and also benefited from facing a shot to pieces Brisbane chasing four on the trot when they finally made a GF.

Williams got them to play as a team better than the individuals in that side suggested they could. How many of that side have been spoken of a "greats"?

Wanganeen definitely.

Tredrea? Underrated for mine.

No-one else I can recall.

you dont rate the port team ay.

FB Michael wilson, darrel wakelin, methew bishop
HB Damian Hardwick, Chad Cornes , Brett Montgomery

C Nick Stevens, Josh Carr, Kane Cornes

HF Byron Picket, warren tredrae, Peter Burgouyne
FF stuart Due, brendan Lade, Gavin Wanganeen

Foll Dean Brogen, rojer james, Shaun Burgoyne

Interchange, josh mahoney, Dominic Casisi, Jarrod Schofeild, Adam Kingsly

If you ask me, that is a star studded team, that defence alone is arguably the greatest.

P.S players not mentioned above are Josh Francoe, Mathew Primus, Steven Paxman, Steven Salopek just to show you what a s**t team Port had during the 2oo1-2oo4 era[/QUOTE]

you dont rate the port team ay.

FB Michael wilson, darrel wakelin, methew bishop
HB Damian Hardwick, Chad Cornes , Brett Montgomery

C Nick Stevens, Josh Carr, Kane Cornes

HF Byron Picket, warren tredrae, Peter Burgouyne
FF stuart Due, brendan Lade, Gavin Wanganeen

Foll Dean Brogen, rojer james, Shaun Burgoyne

Interchange, josh mahoney, Dominic Casisi, Jarrod Schofeild, Adam Kingsly

If you ask me, that is a star studded team, that defence alone is arguably the greatest.

P.S players not mentioned above are Josh Francoe, Mathew Primus, Steven Paxman, Steven Salopek just to show you what a s**t team Port had during the 2oo1-2oo4 era
[/QUOTE]

They were a gun team, and probably underperformed if anything. Loved watching them play, as they put on some entertaining contests. Their match ups with Brisbane over a few years were classics. Was always the game I looked forward to the most each season, outside of the Bulldogs

3 days to recover? It was a Saturday night prelim dude. Did Port Adelaide finish above BL on the ladder that year?

What I can remember back then, there was some agreement made that there had to be one AFL Final played at the MCG every week up until 2005 or something.

Adelaide played a "home" semi final against Melbourne in 2002 I think also.

Many on here seem to be calling for Mark Williams to be head coach which would make a great fit because he has a proven track record. He took Port to 1 premeirship from a team that had the most amount of home and away wins over a period of 4 or 5 years. they finished minor premiers 3 or 4 times for 1 premiership and only played in 2 grandfinals with the superb list he had and the support of the AFL behind his back.

What im worried about is a few port Players have mentioned they had a great list but probably should have won atleast 2 more premierships during his time but failed to do so because they lacked a great gameplan.

We had a great team also during the Eade era but lets face it 3 preliminary finals for no flag isnt good enough.

What im trying to say is, Many coaches have the ability to devolop young kids and win a Final or two, but Great coaches can guide a team to win premierships with a structured gameplan.

I am really disturbed by all this Mark Williams positiveness. From everything I have heard about the bloke, it seems he has lost the players where ever he has gone, both as a captain and a coach. I have watched and listened to a lot of Ayre's work at Port Melb., and think he is astute, experienced, and really has his sh1t together. Him aside, I would like, despite what appears to be the common consensus on here, a home grown coach. We seem to be forgetting that the coach of our ONLY premiership was not just one of our own, but our captain to boot.

As I said before fronk, perhaps it's time to put the personal perceptions to one side and start stacking up the facts. Sumich or Tudor stand out like beacons. Let me tell you, I thought exactly the same as you about Suma when he was at the eagirls. But Lyon knew what he wanted and headhunted the guy. He's been a revelation at Freo and is well due to run his own show now. Granted, he's not the easiest person to listen to in the media - but you can rarely fault what he is actually saying!
Otherwise, it would be hard to ignore Tudor's background either. Sincerely reckon you guys need a coach that is hoofing the barrier gate and brim full of confidence - not some stale been there/been sacked bloke that has just been filling in time at another club because there happens to be an opening eg..... Williams/Ratteno_O/Thompson/Eade. And Monty seems just a bit too close to the last few months events to not be somehow tainted.
Oh don't get me wrong bulldocker, suma may be the best coach available and id be right behind him if we appoint him. I have no idea whether he can coach. How can any of us really know how good these guys are?

Was just a throw away line man. Hated him as a player and he just rubs me the wrong way when interviewed as a coach. But all that's irrelevant of course.

Err...the AFL had signed a contract to guarantee one preliminary final would be played at the MCG, regardless of who was playing.

3 days to recover?? They played their prelim on Saturday night. Brisbane is a two hour plane trip away. This incident gets vastly overstated for mine. Brisbane were cooked, old and injured. As evidenced in the way they fell away from 2005 onward.

Really drawing a long bow here...

P.S players not mentioned above are Josh Francoe, Mathew Primus, Steven Paxman, Steven Salopek just to show you what a s**t team Port had during the 2oo1-2oo4 era
[/QUOTE]

Wow. Some stars there.

Seriously - at no point did I say they were a s**t team suggest you go back and re-read my posts on the matter.

They were a team of good players who knew how to win H&A games and took a bloody long time to learn how to win finals.

They were not a team of stars - despite what you think that is not a star-studded team - it's a team of good players where the sum was greater than the parts, in no small way due to the way they were coached.

Cheers for your input mate, how would you describe Sumas strengths/weaknesses as a coach?

I like that the team he coached himself in the WAFL was (apparently) very attacking (were they any good though?) but he has also worked under some fantastic defensive coaches, and has also worked across all lines.

I really don't know who I want tbh, I'd be okay with any of Suma, Bolton, Tudor, Ratten, Monty etc but none really stick out tbh.

All I want is somebody who can bring in some fresh ideas and what not but largely stick to the plan we've already been working towards and just build on it. I'll be pretty pissed if somebody comes in and wants to overhaul the list once again. Which is why I'm okay with Monty taking over, as long as we get in some quality support alongside him.

I want someone that plays attacking footy. I want someone that gives players confidence and encourages them to take the game on. I want someone that can lift our core skill level (hands and kicking are still below afl standard). And I want someone who will have some more fun with the media and sell the club more. Some don't find that important but I do. We need some more personality in the joint. Guys like leppa and bucks are hugely engaging for their fanbase.

Just remember our playing list collectively rejected the geelong way
They found it too tough, too brutal, they want to be told how good they are not have their flaws highlighted

The list had one collective dummy spit and the board endorsed it
I think the geelong Sydney and hawthorn methods are confronting and require a supportive senior leadership group to keep the list focused. We patently don't have that

Thus it would be foolhardy to hire an inexperienced head coach and the recycled coaches aside from ratten are all hard arses

This committee to select a coach is in a difficult position. The players need to be confronted and a delegation of players must become involved to own the appointment - whoever that maybe

They sacked our last coach
They have to own the next one

The boyd trade only papers over the weakness and fragility on this list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back