List Mgmt. Ben Newton signs with Melbourne as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Really strange he has chosen this route rather than being traded.

More likely that any interested club(s) knew they could get him for their final pick, or even in the rookie draft, when we would've been asking for late 2nd/early 3rd round.

You think pick 111 is going to be better than Ben Newton?

I would say this is besides the point as he was leaving regardless. However in the context of my earlier comment saying he should have been delisted - neither here nor there if it was going to be last year, this year, or next.

:(

I don't get it though, why wait until now? Get your preferred club to trade for you (even for a nothing pick, I doubt that Port would've stood in his way) rather than putting yourself at the mercy of the national draft.

And why are we delisting Logan AND Stevenson if Newton is also leaving? Even if we take a DFA, that's still using pick 93. If we don't take a DFA, that's using pick 111.

Yeah, Newton nominating for the ND instead of being traded doesn't feel right for me.

Heck, I'd even prefer the 70s-80s pick that Sydney/West Coast did with Stevenson and Heath.

Great for us, sure. However other clubs are a bit smarter than that and will take the gamble with late picks on him in the ND.

Hmm bit of odd timing with Newts...

Good luck to him

Enter Panos, Krakouer?
It would have to be almost certain that we will pick up a couple mature players now. We were probably always looking at a mature ruck and now we are probably in need of some backup midfield quality.

Very disappointed that some team has obviously done us over on the trading of Newton.

I'm 100% certain Ben has deleted his Twitter only for the knowledge I was going to pretty much shed tears on his account.

Hmm bit of odd timing with Newts...

Good luck to him

Disagree, the guy is behind Young and Hoon, one of which was missing all year. He had no chance of making the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a player wanted to leave Port because they weren't getting game time when our 'star' players weren't performing in 2011-2012, I would have understood. But it seems to me that he's seen his place in the pecking order, and that he's behind Young and Moore in the next crop of midfielders to replace Cornes when he retires...then looked at Amon, Byrne-Jones, Flynn, Colquhoun...and he's thrown the toys out of the pram...because what he brings to the table, Boak, Hartlett and Ebert do so much better...and by the time they retire, Newton will be 28/29.

Krakouer will definitely be being picked up now you would think. Perhaps Summerton?

I don't know much about Newton, but we were interested in him during the trade period so I'd assume we're still keen.

Can you give me a rundown on what type of mid he is? We badly need a contested ball winner given the loss of Christensen (and all round averageness of our midfield).

I don't know much about Newton, but we were interested in him during the trade period so I'd assume we're still keen.

Can you give me a rundown on what type of mid he is? We badly need a contested ball winner given the loss of Christensen (and all round averageness of our midfield).

Then Newton's your guy. Absolute clearance machine. Also has better disposal than your average inside midfielder and has good goal sense, but he is quite slow and has looked a bit nervous at AFL level in the small amount of game time he's had so far (something which he'll hopefully overcome with experience).

Disappointed to see him go. Would be a good pick-up for your club or any other.

I think he can, from Nov 1?

Nah, we offered him a contract and he chose to delist himself. Only players who weren't offered a contract are DFA eligible. If players in Newton's situation could be a DFA then nobody would ever trade for an uncontracted player again.

At the end of the day even pick 60 oodd would've been better than Pick 110ish so really spewin we didn't get anything for Newton.
I'm spewing too. I rate Scooter and really like him. I'm pissed off that we kept him on our list when he was injured and when he couldn't get a game in Westies' League team. Then after one season of finding it hard to break into our AFL team he's off for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back