Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh and I have to give props to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis... one of my favorite adventure games of all time and three different playstyles are all worth giving a crack.
It does really add to playability. It's a little bit of the shame that the final sections are the same no matter what pathway you take but that's being picky.

I loved X-Wing and Tie Fighter even though I never had a joystick and just played with mouse. Descent Freespace and Freespace II took the crown for me though in regards to actual space combat.
I had a trust old Sidewinder Pro back in the day. THAT was a fine joystick. Pretty sure that was the one that saw me through X-Wing and Tie Fighter before FPSes pretty much took over back in the mid-90s.

Has anyone backed either Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous (I backed that one but not playing beta)?

I had a trust old Sidewinder Pro back in the day. THAT was a fine joystick. Pretty sure that was the one that saw me through X-Wing and Tie Fighter before FPSes pretty much took over back in the mid-90s.

Has anyone backed either Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous (I backed that one but not playing beta)?

Yeah I used to go play Mechwarrior II at a mates house with one... I still only had the 386sx at home with DOS and it took me until 1997 before I got a pentium and windows system to join the direct x era of gaming.

Logitech Wingman Extreme for the win. God I miss that thing.

You can get them hella cheap nowadays, I've got one sitting on my desk that I have for Battlefield (which I never really got into) so it just collects dust.

X-Wing Alliance was the bomb.

Except I never understood the logic of flying the Millennium Falcon in the Battle of Endor. That would have made me that funny mumbling guy sitting next to Lando!
I watched Nien Nunb in a movie. I read of Nien Nunb in many a expanded universe thingie.
You sir, should be honoured to play Nien Nunb in a video game. ;)
nien-nunb-loal-o.gif

You can get them hella cheap nowadays, I've got one sitting on my desk that I have for Battlefield (which I never really got into) so it just collects dust.

After this joystick discussion I went out and bought a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. Great stick for the price. Nice throw and has all four axis covered (pitch, yaw, roll, throttle).

Loving Tie Fighter all over again, you really need a stick to play it properly. Also mucking around with Kerbal Space Program alpha, very cool, although a hell of a learning curve with no real documentation.

After Tie Fighter and X-Wing I will keep the space sim binge going... Wing Commander 3 + 4 and the Freespace games.

After this joystick discussion I went out and bought a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. Great stick for the price. Nice throw and has all four axis covered (pitch, yaw, roll, throttle).

Loving Tie Fighter all over again, you really need a stick to play it properly. Also mucking around with Kerbal Space Program alpha, very cool, although a hell of a learning curve with no real documentation.

After Tie Fighter and X-Wing I will keep the space sim binge going... Wing Commander 3 + 4 and the Freespace games.

Ah Wing Commander (he says with a whistful smile). Did you still have the CDs for these games or is there somewhere I can buy them still?

Ah Wing Commander (he says with a whistful smile). Did you still have the CDs for these games or is there somewhere I can buy them still?

Wing Commander III was free on Origin a couple of weeks ago...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wing Commander III was free on Origin a couple of weeks ago...
Ahh that good Mid90s FMV action! That was the future! Graphics were never going to be that good. :)

Currently playing mini reviews:
  • Sunset Overdrive (XBone) - fun open world traversal shoot em up, doesn't take itself seriously. Enjoying but I probably won't finish.
  • Forza Horizons 2 (XBone)- fun open world street racing game. Takes itself pretty seriously. You are a rich douchebag tearing up North Western Italy and South Eastern France. Driving is immensely fun and collection and missions give plenty of variety, but I generally suck at driving games so definitely won't finish it but will enjoy the journey.
  • Shadow of Mordor (PC) - fun open world fantasy orc murder simulator. Takes itself very seriously. Very good. Best mechanics of the Batman and Assassin's Creed games in Tolkien's world. Has a wonderful system where your actions impact on Orc society and power structures. In game death is a real threat because you can empower various orcs to the point they become extremely dangerous. Trying to finish it before Dragon Age Inquisition drops.
  • Crusader Kings 2 Charlemagne Expansion - fun open wo ... OK that's stretching it. It is more Paradox goodness in an expanded timeline. I've currently taken the Duke of Flanders to an independent Kingdom with a chunk of Southern England and just led a crusade to make my current ruler King of Andalusia. That's all before 1000. Hoping to take this game over to EUIV.
  • Civilization Beyond Earth - Played a few games, on the backburner, but enjoyed what I have played.
  • Hearthstone - bus and iPad game of choice. Still loving it. Aim to get to rank 10 this month if I can (how did you go last month TheBrownDog?)
What have you been playing Lions fans?

I don't hearthstone really, but I have a feeling once it comes to android tablets it will be my time waster of choice when I am supposed to be working. I'm back playing Star Wars-the old republic because the exp boost from doing class missions that comes with pre ordering the next expansion means I can see all the stories without having to repeat the same side quests over and over.

I don't hearthstone really, but I have a feeling once it comes to android tablets it will be my time waster of choice when I am supposed to be working. I'm back playing Star Wars-the old republic because the exp boost from doing class missions that comes with pre ordering the next expansion means I can see all the stories without having to repeat the same side quests over and over.
Don't tell me that. I already have buyer's remorse over pre-ordering Warlords of Draenor. I have to get value out of that!

I'm probably going to pre-order Warlords and buy game time so I can take advantage of the free transfers to Oceanic servers from the US servers just in case I feel like playing down the track... not that I will have time at the moment.

A
I'd like to say it's cos of the stories, but I'm playing SWTOR again for the hutball. And I'm an alt-aholic so rapid leveling is too good to pass up.
I too am an altaholic. I have given up the dream of ever getting a character from 1 to level cap without some kind of boost. (Have a free 90 level boost for Wow that I haven't used

I'm probably going to pre-order Warlords and buy game time so I can take advantage of the free transfers to Oceanic servers from the US servers just in case I feel like playing down the track... not that I will have time at the moment.

I got a free 7 days from Blizzard to try to lure me back in.

Let's just say the difference between 200 ms pings and 20 ms pings is so so so noticeable (and amazing).

I got a free 7 days from Blizzard to try to lure me back in.

Let's just say the difference between 200 ms pings and 20 ms pings is so so so noticeable (and amazing).

Dude it is amazing. When we had it in star wars I was blown away at how PVP must feel for Americans, I honestly can't believe how many of them are so bad when playing with such a huge advantage.

The ability to interrupt properly, or backstab without having to try and run in front of the target is mind blowing in it's awesomeness.

Nothing would ever make me go back to wow... except a 20ms ping.

Dude it is amazing. When we had it in star wars I was blown away at how PVP must feel for Americans, I honestly can't believe how many of them are so bad when playing with such a huge advantage.

The ability to interrupt properly, or backstab without having to try and run in front of the target is mind blowing in it's awesomeness.

Nothing would ever make me go back to wow... except a 20ms ping.
It is one of those thinks that took me out of ESO. Too many times block was simply wasted because of server delay.

Oh man, Kerbal Space Program!

*swoon*

Just did my first successful rocket build, launch and established a (almost) circular orbit. So satisfying!
Is it something you can introduce into your classes TBD? Physics and Science classes would eat that up.

I've always been a little too maths/science challenged to give it a go, but I love what it does.

Still playing Hearthstone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back