Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Boring and bland, particularly after the first 2 albums, Smells Like Teen Spirit seems like it is by far their most high energy song, everything else is a dirgy number with uninspiring vocals and music. Also on a personally level I can't stand Kurt Cobain.

Alice in Chains is definitely the best of the early 90s alt rockers
Fair enough. Each to their own.

I personally just like the emotion Kurt brings in the songs. Not a massive fan of their albums, love the Unplugged special though. That is in my opinion brilliant.

Evil Empire is as good as S/T and The Battle of Los Angeles and Down Rodeo is their best ever song.
Evil empire my favourite ratm album. Love the solo in wind below.
Tom morello can do amazing things with his guitar. His solo on audioslave's "bring em back alive" is his best with either band. The harmonics!

Lol - seems your opinion is not that unpopular after all.

Some more of mine:

Ben Folds is IMO one of the best pianists in rock music history. Ben Folds Five's albums contain some of the most beautiful piano music ever written. I'll nominate a few tracks In particular. "Philosophy" from BFF, "missing the war" from WAEA, "narcolepsy" from TUBORM to name a few.
While on BFF, the first six tracks of The Unauthorised Biography of Reinhold Messner are absolutely amazing and probably up there with the best in their (admittedly short) catalogue. The remainder are hit and miss.

Eminem is a brilliant lyricist and his honesty is refreshing. When he talks about having a s**t life and everything (and if you know his story, it HAS been a s**t life, what he has done for the rap genre is revolutionise it.) I admire him for not wallowing but simply saying to his doubters, detractors and enemies "* you. You s**t on me and now I'm rich, famous and popular. Suck my mother******* dick!" I love that even if I don't always like his music.

Matthew Bellamy is one of the most talented musicians EVER. I hate when people say shot like "Muse are overrated, they sold out, blah blah blah", couldn't care less. They put on amazing shows and Matt is incredible on both guitar and piano and has an incredible voice (if a little whiny). I don't really get the Radiohead comparison either.

I don't know how unpopular this one will be as I think a few people will probably agree but "The Dark Side of the Moon", "The Wall" AND "Animals" are all inferior to "Wish You Were Here" - the flow of that album is sublime and "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" is their best song. Having said that the solo in "Money" deserves to be rated one of the best of all time. Possibly the most pleasing two minutes of rock history.

Supertramp are not discussed enough. They were amazing. I cannot think of one track by them I didn't like. "Crime of the Century" is an outstanding album. I think when discussing some of the greatest bands of all time, these guys have to be right up there. I grew up on them, The Eagles and several other big seventies bands but don't hear much about their legacy. Shame.

Sergei Rachmaninoff is hands down the best pianist ever. EVER. His second Concerto is possibly the greatest piece of music ever written.

Matthew Bellamy is one of the most talented musicians EVER. I hate when people say shot like "Muse are overrated, they sold out, blah blah blah", couldn't care less. They put on amazing shows and Matt is incredible on both guitar and piano and has an incredible voice (if a little whiny). I don't really get the Radiohead comparison either.
I never understand the Radiohead/Muse comparisons either. They're very different bands. It seems it's just obligatory for the press/music fans to compare any British, alternative sounding band to Radiohead because they are the most prominent example of an alternative British band.

I never understand the Radiohead/Muse comparisons either. They're very different bands. It seems it's just obligatory for the press/music fans to compare any British, alternative sounding band to Radiohead because they are the most prominent example of an alternative British band.
It lingers a little from when Muse hit the scene. I don't think any critic worth their cred has really made any significant comparisons between Muse and Radiohead ever since Showbiz really, but at the time they were seen in some respects as one of the first post-radiohead acts. When Muse overtook the mainstream popularity of Radiohead there for a period, the Radiohead/Muse fan clashes in some quarters became pretty heated and stupid.

Boring and bland, particularly after the first 2 albums, Smells Like Teen Spirit seems like it is by far their most high energy song, everything else is a dirgy number with uninspiring vocals and music. Also on a personally level I can't stand Kurt Cobain.

If someone can watch/listen to 'Live at Reading' and say that Nirvana were "boring" and "bland", then they really just must not like their style of music at all. I'd recommend that recording/concert film first to anyone who was unsure or skeptical on Nirvana's quality and merit as a band.

Supertramp are not discussed enough. They were amazing. I cannot think of one track by them I didn't like. "Crime of the Century" is an outstanding album. I think when discussing some of the greatest bands of all time, these guys have to be right up there. I grew up on them, The Eagles and several other big seventies bands but don't hear much about their legacy. Shame.
This is so true. It made me sad when that band released the song sampling Breakfast in America, and whenever I talked to anybody about it they had no idea what I was talking about or who Supertramp were.

I see no similarity between Muse and Radiohead, I do think Matt's voice at times sounds like Thom Yorke's though

both are plain over rated and s**t boring bands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Black Flag's music sounds like a 12 year old kid trying to play guitar solos without actually knowing how to play guitar solos. It just sounds terrible to me. Yet I listen to a number of bands that cite them as an influence and they seem to be pretty well-respected. I just don't get it

If you study the evolution and history of early hardcore, Black Flag are probably the most influential band in that genre. They were about as good as it gets (despite their legacy being pissed on by both bands carrying their name at the moment).

If someone doesn't have Nervous Breakdown in their Top 10 hardcore 7"s, their opinion is highly impaired.

I like some of their stuff, I remember speaking to a guy I know who would be in his 50's and he thought they were underrated and he thought the reason might of been was that they sounded a bit camp and were taken as more of a novelty band then a serious one.

I like some of their stuff, I remember speaking to a guy I know who would be in his 50's and he thought they were underrated and he thought the reason might of been was that they sounded a bit camp and were taken as more of a novelty band then a serious one.
I can understand that. Roger Hodgson was probably one of the pioneers of the tenor head voice. (And occasionally Rick Davies in certain other songs such as "Bloody well Right" and "Goodbye Stranger" to name a couple) they weren't the most masculine band but they were amazing.

Paul Stanley, Brian Johnson, Bob Dylan, Hall and Oates and Jimi Hendrix can't sing or, in the case of Hendrix, couldn't sing.

"Nowadays people don't want you to sing good. They want you to sing sloppy and have a good beat to your songs. That's what angle I'm going to shoot for. That's where the money is. So just in case about three or four months from now you might hear a record by me which sounds terrible, don't feel ashamed, just wait until the money rolls in because every day people are singing worse and worse on purpose and the public buys more and more records."

- letter home from an unknown Jimi Hendrix, 1965

Jimi hated his own voice and would always seek to bury it lower in the mix. At one stage he went through a phase of hiding behind baffles in the studio so nobody could watch him singing. On hearing a take of Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland) played back, he exclaimed excitedly, "I can sing! I can sing!"

Last edited:
I wouldn't know if it's unpopular or not. I know nothing about dance music, but Hot Chip are just so good to cover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back