News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

When we were up at the Fan Open Day, the COO took us through the history of the place. Clubs were sniffing around some of our boys before they'd even played one AFL game. If they'd wanted to leave they wouldn't have already signed a contract extension.

We have built these boys into men. I have faith in both the guys and the club to do whatever it takes to stay together.

Adam Treloar stood in a wheelie bin ice bath at Gipps Road and is practicing at Tom Wills Oval while still on holidays. He's a future Captain of this Club, not some Collingwood flog.
As I posted in another thread, Ralph completely fails to recognise that firstly, Treloar, Cameron, Shiel and others have been here for 4 years not 3, and secondly, they had opportunities to leave after 0 and 2 AFL years if they didn't like it here.

ADAM TRELOAR SET TO LEAVE GIANTS - clickbait and nothing more. Hope the ad revenue was worth making Ralph look like an idiot (more than usual) to the people who have half a clue about our playing list.

As I posted in another thread, Ralph completely fails to recognise that firstly, Treloar, Cameron, Shiel and others have been here for 4 years not 3, and secondly, they had opportunities to leave after 0 and 2 AFL years if they didn't like it here.

ADAM TRELOAR SET TO LEAVE GIANTS - clickbait and nothing more. Hope the ad revenue was worth making Ralph look like an idiot (more than usual) to the people who have half a clue about our playing list.

Treloar (definitely) and Shiel (not quite so sure) only popped up sometimes in the first year as they were finishing their schooling. Cameron was definitely up here for that first year.

I watched the ABC's Offsider's programme this morning and it really got my back up.

Roy Masters was on the panel and he really laid into the topic of Sydney sports grounds and couldn't resist a jibe at GWS making jokes about our current crowds and how "we didn't need to make the stadium any bigger".

Then I think of all the other leagues of other sports like the NRL and a-league and how they regularly get crowds <10k and yet no one says boo about that.

I created this thread for your general observations about how the Giants are portrayed in the sporting media, both positively and negatively, and to observe if this changes over time.

Other club boards often have media threads and I think a Giants thread on the same topic is of particular interest since I cannot think of a more questioned and analyzed club in the Australian media than the Giants.

Why are we even being mentioned when they talk about Sydney grounds? We're not utilizing a huge stadium, we're not using multiple stadiums.

There are grounds, to my knowledge, looking at being upgraded by the NSW Government... or they are lobbying to be upgraded or something. ANZ Stadium, seen as NSW #1 sporting stadium due to its size which has Rugby League and union playing there. Allianz Stadium, another rugby league/union dual use stadium for a seating upgrade. Finally, Parramatta Stadium, seeking redevelopment to cater for the growing support for the Western Sydney Wanderers (that everyone expected).

Only ANZ could have AFL games of the three. If anything, only the Swans would play there and not us. Leave us to Spotless and leave us alone. Spotless is exactly the size we need. Sure, it hasn't been regularly sold out or anything but we're a three year club. That's always going to be the case. We will build, grow and start to leave our mark on the Sydney sporting landscape in a positive manner.

Typically in the media, negativity creates stories. When there is a small crowd, they don't talk about the quality of the game, it's all about how people aren't showing up. Look at the cricket at the MCG on Friday. You'd be forgiven for not knowing the result but knowing there was only 14k people there. That's how the media works at the present time.

I watched the ABC's Offsider's programme this morning and it really got my back up.

Roy Masters was on the panel and he really laid into the topic of Sydney sports grounds and couldn't resist a jibe at GWS making jokes about our current crowds and how "we didn't need to make the stadium any bigger".

Then I think of all the other leagues of other sports like the NRL and a-league and how they regularly get crowds <10k and yet no one says boo about that.

I created this thread for your general observations about how the Giants are portrayed in the sporting media, both positively and negatively, and to observe if this changes over time.

Other club boards often have media threads and I think a Giants thread on the same topic is of particular interest since I cannot think of a more questioned and analyzed club in the Australian media than the Giants.
Roy masters is due for a nursing home. the NRL has been spoilt for decades from tax payer funded stadiums & club grounds. then when the AFL gets some money for a stadium, the NRL folk are all jealous

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...er-allianz-arena/story-fnniow7v-1227131329383
their crowds are a joke at best, yet they think they deserve bigger stadiums:confused:

Roy Masters is an old booze hound who has never recovered from the bitterness of being losing coach of the 1985 ARL Grand Final (to my beloved Canterbury Bulldogs).

He hates the AFL with a passion and has an agenda against it.

In my opinion GWS is tracking along just fine. In 4 or 5 years time with anticipated success we will have crowds of around 15,000 and will even fill our stadiums for popular rivalry games against the Swans.

The key in Sydney is winning, just look at the Rabbitohs...on deaths door in the 90's and now the biggest club in the competition.

I really look forward to re-hashing comments made by doubters and dinasours in the years to come...but no doubt when success does come most will have jumped on the bandwagon!

Last edited:
Not exactly the media, but I get bagged out an incredible amount for following the Giants by many of my friends who are League supporters. Most of what they say is crap they're spewing up from listening to the media. It's irritating and as someone who doesn't get a chance to read the paper (other than the MX on the train-and that's got nothing in it), I struggle to find any information to give back other than, "at least we know how to run in any direction, not just in a straight line and give manly, neck-breaking hugs"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not exactly the media, but I get bagged out an incredible amount for following the Giants by many of my friends who are League supporters. Most of what they say is crap they're spewing up from listening to the media. It's irritating and as someone who doesn't get a chance to read the paper (other than the MX on the train-and that's got nothing in it), I struggle to find any information to give back other than, "at least we know how to run in any direction, not just in a straight line and give manly, neck-breaking hugs"

Interesting sidenote - saw someone in a Giants guernsey on a bus in the CBD on the weekend, followed up by spotting a second person in a Giants cap. We are slowly getting out there.

Interesting sidenote - saw someone in a Giants guernsey on a bus in the CBD on the weekend, followed up by spotting a second person in a Giants cap. We are slowly getting out there.
Geez at this rate pretty shortly people will be saying they spotted someone wearing a GWS Guernsey in far Northern Australia ;):thumbsu:

Geez at this rate pretty shortly people will be saying they spotted someone wearing a GWS Guernsey in far Northern Australia ;):thumbsu:

Wait for me to go home for Christmas. :p

(Note: not actually going home for Christmas.)

... and I saw someone with a Giants cap on in Manly on Saturday ... didn't see any Swans caps!

But on topic, we received Blueprint installment in the Hun today from Jay Clark and David King. It is not particularly informative.

Jay Clark
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ncern-for-giants/story-fnp04d70-1227133261658

"Melbourne clubs are already preparing big cheques to continue the attack on the Giants’ list." - he wasn't specific about the direction of the cheques, I suppose we won't complain too much if the cheques are to pay the salary of ex Captain/All Australian players they give to us for unproven youngsters.

"The midfield depth has improved to a point that you wonder whether Tom Scully’s on-ball spot is safe?" - not without merit although given David King also says that the onballers need to two way run more, something Scully does better than others. I also think turnovers are an issue here. Stop turning the ball over and you need to run back less.

David King
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rites-david-king/story-fnp04d70-1227133228951

"
Giants will lose more fans to soccer if they keep losing"
"It’s the Western Sydney Wanderers in the A-League that have captured the supporter base of the area targeted for AFL growth in Blacktown."

Tabloid journalism at its worst. Gee this type of tripe is annoying. Losing (but more importantly being uncompetitive) isn't just an issue for the Giants it is for all teams. Where have Melbourne's fans gone? Soccer is a global game with a massive potential supporter base in the very global Western Sydney. People who have followed soccer all of their life will go and watch soccer games. If there were no Wanderers would the Giants crowds have been any different? I don't think so. If the Giants start to win games will people move from going to the Wanderers to the Giants. Some I guess, but that is true for any sport/city.

"The Giants need to put their opposition under more pressure in the mid-zone of the ground, between the 50m arcs." - my goodness, something to agree with.

"The Giants must get tougher at the coalface. Averaging 11 contested possessions less than their direct opponents on a weekly basis, they are ranked 17th in the competition." Whilst I don't disagree with this, the point is overstated. We lost the clearances to the Bulldogs in Round 23 by 48 to 31 but won the game (and some bloke called R Griffin had 13 for the Dogs!), Beat the Pies and just lost, were just edged out by the Dees and won (Ward was injured in that match), beaten by the Roos on both counts, broke even with the Tigers but lost the game, flogged Geelong but lost, were slaughtered by Freo on both counts (no crime), beat Adelaide but were flogged on the scoreboard. So in the last 8 games we played, the team that won the clearances won the game twice.

... and I saw someone with a Giants cap on in Manly on Saturday ... didn't see any Swans caps!

But on topic, we received Blueprint installment in the Hun today from Jay Clark and David King. It is not particularly informative.

Jay Clark
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ncern-for-giants/story-fnp04d70-1227133261658

"Melbourne clubs are already preparing big cheques to continue the attack on the Giants’ list." - he wasn't specific about the direction of the cheques, I suppose we won't complain too much if the cheques are to pay the salary of ex Captain/All Australian players they give to us for unproven youngsters.

"The midfield depth has improved to a point that you wonder whether Tom Scully’s on-ball spot is safe?" - not without merit although given David King also says that the onballers need to two way run more, something Scully does better than others. I also think turnovers are an issue here. Stop turning the ball over and you need to run back less.

David King
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rites-david-king/story-fnp04d70-1227133228951

"
Giants will lose more fans to soccer if they keep losing"
"It’s the Western Sydney Wanderers in the A-League that have captured the supporter base of the area targeted for AFL growth in Blacktown."

Tabloid journalism at its worst. Gee this type of tripe is annoying. Losing (but more importantly being uncompetitive) isn't just an issue for the Giants it is for all teams. Where have Melbourne's fans gone? Soccer is a global game with a massive potential supporter base in the very global Western Sydney. People who have followed soccer all of their life will go and watch soccer games. If there were no Wanderers would the Giants crowds have been any different? I don't think so. If the Giants start to win games will people move from going to the Wanderers to the Giants. Some I guess, but that is true for any sport/city.

"The Giants need to put their opposition under more pressure in the mid-zone of the ground, between the 50m arcs." - my goodness, something to agree with.

"The Giants must get tougher at the coalface. Averaging 11 contested possessions less than their direct opponents on a weekly basis, they are ranked 17th in the competition." Whilst I don't disagree with this, the point is overstated. We lost the clearances to the Bulldogs in Round 23 by 48 to 31 but won the game (and some bloke called R Griffin had 13 for the Dogs!), Beat the Pies and just lost, were just edged out by the Dees and won (Ward was injured in that match), beaten by the Roos on both counts, broke even with the Tigers but lost the game, flogged Geelong but lost, were slaughtered by Freo on both counts (no crime), beat Adelaide but were flogged on the scoreboard. So in the last 8 games we played, the team that won the clearances won the game twice.
Funny they mention the Wanderers - as predicted their home crowds decline when they are not winning, surprise surprise, the team everyone is supposedly in love with barely managed 14k last weekend.

Itll get worse if they keep down at the bottom
They've also introduced stupid rules regarding seating and memberships. Something along te lines of, you can't have any friends join you (no extra tickets available to members, they can't sit in the RBB and you can't save a seat for anyone). I'd love to go watch them, I just never have the time, especially when a game is mid week

They've also introduced stupid rules regarding seating and memberships. Something along te lines of, you can't have any friends join you (no extra tickets available to members, they can't sit in the RBB and you can't save a seat for anyone). I'd love to go watch them, I just never have the time, especially when a game is mid week
Yeah that was brought in comp wide due to the rbb and victory fans "issues". Believe me the cove and the others have been blowing up about it

Geez, really? The draft run only a few days ago and we are already scratching for stories and recycling this garbage? I don't know what the exact number of draftees is, or those that missed out, but there are least that many stories out there to tell. MEDIA MUPPETS!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-29/go-home-concern-for-gws

Geez, really? The draft run only a few days ago and we are already scratching for stories and recycling this garbage? I don't know what the exact number of draftees is, or those that missed out, but there are least that many stories out there to tell. MEDIA MUPPETS!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-29/go-home-concern-for-gws

I think we need to learn to ignore it, there isn't a stockpile of young talent anywhere else that even vaguely resembles ours, stories about it and people wanting access to it or speculation about players out of it are inevitable.

I think we need to learn to ignore it, there isn't a stockpile of young talent anywhere else that even vaguely resembles ours, stories about it and people wanting access to it or speculation about players out of it are inevitable.
Yep, got that. However, it would be nice to see some genuine effort to publish some interesting stories. This article is just lazy and should be replaced with a personal story about one of the draftees, say Nakia Cockatoo for arguements sake (edit: there is one on afl.com about this guy, but you get what I am trying to say).

Last edited:
On our board apparently will hoskin elliot wants to come to the Bulldogs next year hahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back