Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Any tips for leg and hip mass? Can't seem to put any mass on my legs at all especially my calves. Tried high reps low weight, low reps high weight and all I get is Achilles problems. Is it the genetics that is stopping me from gaining much mass? I got a high calf insertion and my fathers side of the family is indigenous with skinny legs and ankles/knees which I have as well. Thanks!

legs/hip mass - very deep single leg exercises like step ups, split squats, reverse lunges, bulgarian split squats, walking lunges and dynamic lunges and then the deficits versions of each...work your way up to an appreciable amount of load with these too

for calves they are highly genetic but if you want size increases then you MUST train them at least 5/week using a variety of set/rep schemes and load

yeah, my gym has one of those benches you can crank up high. Kinda like this

hqdefault.jpg

I am bored with those hammer lever rows - will defs do this looks like you can really squeeze the bastards that way

I am bored with those hammer lever rows - will defs do this looks like you can really squeeze the bastards that way
yeah, it really isolates them.

You have to drop the weight a bit. I used to standing bent barbell row 90kgs for 8 reps. Doing those I can only do 65kg for 6 at the moment.

It just goes to show I was obviously cheating previously by engaging the traps.

My calves make Kate Moss look bulky, but I have noticed a distinct improvement since I started following the advice I read about avoiding the 'kangaroo bounce'.

For those unfamiliar with the concept - they've found that kangaroos can leap with barely any muscle effort thanks to their extra long achilles which acts like a rubber band - storing elastic energy as it expands, then releasing it as it springs back into place. (This also explains why North can never stay consistent winners without rebounding back to where they belong :p)

Guys who do their calf raises quickly are apparently activating the same reflex in their achilles - they're bouncing up and down with the elasticity in their achilles driving the movement instead of their muscles.

So the recommended form is:

- Explode up to the top of the movement until you're on the tips of your toes
- Hold at the top for 2 seconds
- Slowly come down over 2 seconds
- Pause at the bottom for 2 seconds to allow the elastic energy in your achilles to dissipate
- Explode up again

Your sets take a lot longer to do properly but they hurt so bad. My neighbours are probably wondering if I'm torturing someone in the backyard from the noises I make when I do them.

Last edited:
RE calves,

Genetics comes in on the insertion point, if you have a high insertion point it will be hard to have a full, bulky looking calf. But others can lean on the genetics to much and use it as a reason not to work them.

Personally 2-3 times a week is enough for me, the important thing is range of motion and getting a full stretch. People who simply bounce up and down on them are wasting there time. A full range of motion is required, hold at the top and bottom of the lift. I only do 3-4 sets of standing and 3-4 seated, you hit either of the two calf muscles when either seated or standing so important to do both. Usually 15-20 reps per set.

For those who don't have a seated calf raise machine, you can improvise with a smith machine;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My calves make Kate Moss look bulky, but I have noticed a distinct improvement since I started following the advice I read about avoiding the 'kangaroo bounce'.

For those unfamiliar with the concept - they've found that kangaroos can leap with barely any muscle effort thanks to their extra long achilles which acts like a rubber band - storing elastic energy as it expands, then releasing it as it springs back into place. (This also explains why North can never stay consistent winners without rebounding back to where they belong :p)

Guys who do their calf raises quickly are apparently activating the same reflex in their achilles - they're bouncing up and down with the elasticity in their achilles driving the movement instead of their muscles.

So the recommended form is:

- Explode up to the top of the movement until you're on the tips of your toes
- Hold at the top for 2 seconds
- Slowly come down over 2 seconds
- Pause at the bottom for 2 seconds to allow the elastic energy in your achilles to dissipate
- Explode up again

Your sets take a lot longer to do properly but they hurt so bad. My neighbours are probably wondering if I'm torturing someone in the backyard from the noises I make when I do them.

you need at minimum 3secs of complete isometric in the bottom position to take away the stretch shortening effect (achilles)

Hurt my wrist, about 2 weeks ago, pushing a cable drum up a few steps at work. Left wrist got a sudden short sharp pain and then swelled up a little bit as the day progressed. Just thought it was a standard sprain and iced it etc. Next day it was the same, tried to go gym and couldn't even grip a 7.5kg dumbell without it hurting so did cardio. There has still been no improvement in two weeks, struggle to do push-ups even. I went and got xrays yesterday and there is no break. I got a ultrasound this morning and get the results back this afternoon but the lady who did the ultrasound reckons everything looks normal. If it comes back okay then I am stumped as to what the F is going on.

Hurt my wrist, about 2 weeks ago, pushing a cable drum up a few steps at work. Left wrist got a sudden short sharp pain and then swelled up a little bit as the day progressed. Just thought it was a standard sprain and iced it etc. Next day it was the same, tried to go gym and couldn't even grip a 7.5kg dumbell without it hurting so did cardio. There has still been no improvement in two weeks, struggle to do push-ups even. I went and got xrays yesterday and there is no break. I got a ultrasound this morning and get the results back this afternoon but the lady who did the ultrasound reckons everything looks normal. If it comes back okay then I am stumped as to what the F is going on.
tendons are just slow to heal - not much bloodflow. Try to stay of it as much as you can. Thats all you can do.

a lot of sportsman aren't as strong as we think they might be - except in strength sports like rugby and gridiron and obviously olympic throwers and wt lifters

heard an interview with ryan shoemakers from hawthorn when he was coming back from his knee or whatever he did a few yrs ago and he was putting up 105kgs he says which for him is just over bw

buddy couldn't do a push up when he first got to hawthorn

buddy couldn't do a push up when he first got to hawthorn
Gia couldn't manage a single chin up when he got to the Bulldogs either

Interesting that North seem to shy away from traditional weights sessions and the Bulldogs this preseason are spending more time on the oval and less time in the gym.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back