2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently North are keen on Cockatoo (he trained there at the start of the year with the AIS thing) so if we want him 14 it will have to be. I don't want to risk it with his injuries but we may do.

It's early but I think Weller will get to 14. Top 9 or so to me at this stage looking like (in no particular order) Petracca Brayshaw McCartin Wright Durdin Lever Goddard Moore Laverde. Not sure what type of player Richmond will take so Weller could get there.

Ideally I'd like a mature Isaac Smith wingman type who can play straight up but there doesn't appear an obvius candidate. I like Pickett, by gee he is risky but could be anything. Ahern is underrated. I have time for Duggan. De Goey also screams 'Geelong' to me.

I don't think Geelong will take Smith, Wells is big on kicking skills.

I just hope we get one genuine midfield instead of all utilities. I really rate Gore and Knightmare is big on Bampton.

I can see Weller going to either GC at 7 or Richmond at 12. We are a chance I suppose. Pickett is risky but would be worth it I think. We need an injection of x-factor.

I like Ahern. I reckon he could be anything. Reminds me of a young Gazza.

No doubt we should get a good one at 14. Not sure what will be left at 35..

I can see Weller going to either GC at 7 or Richmond at 12. We are a chance I suppose. Pickett is risky but would be worth it I think. We need an injection of x-factor.

As much as I like Blakely, with Varcoe, Christensen and (likely) Hunt on the move I think Ahern might be the go.

And the kid has some talent.

That said, I still can't help thinking Shannon Taylor will likely be around late and he also can play on the outside and, as he is older and played VFL last year, he might be more "ready to go".

And he did get a gig at the State screenings so there is a club interested.

Also, could Josh Glenn get to 35?

Apparently North are keen on Cockatoo (he trained there at the start of the year with the AIS thing) so if we want him 14 it will have to be. I don't want to risk it with his injuries but we may do.

It's early but I think Weller will get to 14. Top 9 or so to me at this stage looking like (in no particular order) Petracca Brayshaw McCartin Wright Durdin Lever Goddard Moore Laverde. Not sure what type of player Richmond will take so Weller could get there.

Ideally I'd like a mature Isaac Smith wingman type who can play straight up but there doesn't appear an obvius candidate. I like Pickett, by gee he is risky but could be anything. Ahern is underrated. I have time for Duggan. De Goey also screams 'Geelong' to me.

I don't think Geelong will take Smith, Wells is big on kicking skills.

I just hope we get one genuine midfield instead of all utilities. I really rate Gore and Knightmare is big on Bampton.

Really like Ahern and I think he might even be around for our p35, wouldn't use p14 on him. Also like Harrison Wigg (SA MVP) and think there's a chance he could be there in the 50s. As for our p14, I'm hoping someone (Laverde, Pickett, Weller, Goddard, Blakely, even Lever?) will slide outside the top 10 and it will be an easy choice for Wells.

Really like Ahern and I think he might even be around for our p35, wouldn't use p14 on him. Also like Harrison Wigg (SA MVP) and think there's a chance he could be there in the 50s. As for our p14, I'm hoping someone (Laverde, Pickett, Weller, Goddard, Blakely, even Lever?) will slide outside the top 10 and it will be an easy choice for Wells.
If Wigg gets into the 50s a lot of clubs haven't done their due diligence.

On kicking ability alone he should be snapped up before then.

I'm a massive fan, if we got him that late we're laughing.

I agree. But I would've said the same thing about another SA MVP in Mitch Grigg a few years ago! SA coach Brenton Phillips is a huge Harrison Wigg fan.

Would also love us to add Aidan Anderson with either 47 or 55 if still available. Incredibly smart and skilful player.
I liked his work for WA in the games I saw.

However, depending on who we get with 10 might change things.

Laverde, who I do now think is in frame, played really well as a forward in the game against SA and will gradually get moved into the midfield over time. Pickett is also an outside mid/half forward

If we get one of them then we might look at the back half.

I have a soft spot for Teia Miles as a small defender and think Ryan Lim is a kid that might be a little under-valued as a half back.

I also don't mind Lukas Webb (another half forward/mid type).

And we might still look at a tall defender - Daniel Neilson was pretty solid as a negating tall defender.

Pickett looking likely now with the pick swap.

Also Weller.

At least with the pick upgrade we know Wells won't go left field and take a smoky rated in the 2nd round this year, so we might be able to predict our pick this year!

Colqhoun got to the PSD a couple of years ago as a player I rated similar, so it wouldnt surprise me if we get him in the 3rd round.

Pickett looking likely now with the pick swap.

Also Weller.

At least with the pick upgrade we know Wells won't go left field and take a smoky rated in the 2nd round this year, so we might be able to predict our pick this year!

Ahern, Weller, Pickett or Laverde I reckon it will be. I've no idea which though I'm sure Emma will tip us off ;-)

Colqhoun got to the PSD a couple of years ago as a player I rated similar, so it wouldnt surprise me if we get him in the 3rd round.
If Wigg gets to 47 then I hope we have a good hard think about him.

You want skill by foot? He's your boy.

47 would be a total bargain (imo).

If Wigg gets to 47 then I hope we have a good hard think about him.

You want skill by foot? He's your boy.

47 would be a total bargain (imo).
I reckon it'll be a slightly strange draft in that so many of the South Australians are considered marginal prospects despite winning the carnival. Maybe it'll play out differently on draft day but certainly at the moment it seems that by the time we take our later picks there'll be a few guys who you look at and think 'he can play, it's just a question of whether or not certain hard limitations like size prevent him from making it in the seniors' rather than the more normal 'he's a good size and a decent athlete but I'm not sure he's got the football skills to go to the next level'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it'll be a slightly strange draft in that so many of the South Australians are considered marginal prospects despite winning the carnival. Maybe it'll play out differently on draft day but certainly at the moment it seems that by the time we take our later picks there'll be a few guys who you look at and think 'he can play, it's just a question of whether or not certain hard limitations like size prevent him from making it in the seniors' rather than the more normal 'he's a good size and a decent athlete but I'm not sure he's got the football skills to go to the next level'.
This draft is one of the more intriguing ones I've taken an interest in.

There are plenty of people who are suggesting that the draft is "shallow" and that the talent drops away after the first 15 or 20 but I then look at people saying Wigg might slip down into the late 40s and early 50s and I think "the draft can't be that shallow if Harrison Wigg, one of the best kicks in the draft, gets taken there."

It'll make for fun watching as I'm firmly of the opinion there is some value late in the draft that we might have access too, especially a few mature aged types.

It may also be the first time in recent memory that I haven't been aligned 100% with Pure_Ownage.

I also think, in a shallow draft, Caleb Daniel DOESN'T get talked about as a rookie.

Talent wise the kid is too good I reckon. That talent outweighs his height.

Last edited:
This draft is one of the more intriguing ones I've taken an interest in.

There are plenty of people who are suggesting that the draft is "shallow" and that the talent drops away after the first 15 or 20 but I then look at people saying Wigg might slip down into the late 40s and early 50s and I think "the draft can't be that shallow if Harrison Wigg, one of the best kicks in the draft, gets taken there."

It'll make for fun watching as I'm firmly of the opinion there is some value late in the draft that we might have access too, especially a few mature aged types.

It may also be the first time in recent memory that I haven't been aligned 100% with Pure_Ownage.

I also think, in a shallow draft, Caleb Daniel DOESN'T get talked about as a rookie.

Talent wise the kid is too good I reckon. That talent outweighs his height.

Not sure who I align with ..if anyone piv... but I agree there will be talent around late, just depends on whether the club wishes to draft for immediate readiness or is willing to bring in some green talent.

The mids I have seen Pure mention have been the same I like I think

On R1 , the R10 does sort of spin me around a little bit. Ive been solid on mids starting with DeGoey,and adding Weller , certainly Cockatoo looks interesting but ten is too early id think.

I just want them to pick the best , forget tall or small , just pick the best long term prospect. If that mean Durdin then fine. Top end talls are traditionally harder to get and he looks good.

I just keep thinking ....would we have recruited Stanley if we got Frawley? Stanley is no backman , he is more a forward/ruck. Perhaps it allows Blitz to go back but overall if they like Stanley I cant see why Frawley would prevent them., Tall but different position etc, so if thats the case they could draft a player for that position and just back our kids and a couple of late ones

Lucas Webb and Nick Mellington both look likely HF/Mid and Inside/Mid, strong bodied type kids look excellent.
Big possession winners both.
Mellington a 10 clearance, 30 possession game against Brayshaw in a LOOSING elimination final in TAC Cup.
Big potential inside mid.
To do that in a loosing team is a dominate display especially against Brayshaw a top 5 pick, under lining his pure talent.

Last edited:
Lucas Webb and Nick Mellington both look likely HF/Mid and Inside/Mid, strong bodied type kids look excellent.
Big possession winners both.
Mellington a 10 clearance, 30 possession game against Brayshaw in a LOOSING elimination final in TAC Cup.
Big potential inside mid.
To do that in a loosing team is a dominate display especially against Brayshaw a top 5 pick, under lining his pure talent.

Seem to remember Nathan Jones having a big game in a losing GF , I agree it shows grit and Selwood type mindset to do it against the tide.

Seem to remember Nathan Jones having a big game in a losing GF , I agree it shows grit and Selwood type mindset to do it against the tide.

That's the reason I like the sound of this kid, also the fact that he missed much of the year but still had the talent to become a dominating factor for his team. I hope Wells has cast his eye over him and considered what he's done against the odds.
Has got genuine size and body strength as well.

Very nice left foot. If he gets to 60 this draft has some depth
The kid can play. I think he could be a real bargain.

I like him a lot.

And, in a nod to meto, I have read Darcy Hourigan has fronted for South Adelaide trimmer and fitter (Strangled Cat should be able to confirm this as the year goes on).

So meto, keep the faith, you might yet get your wish.
HOURIGAN WATCH.

I know it is very late in the piece but I discovered this recently, and true to my word, here is some late information regarding Darcy Hourigan.

Darcy Hourigan informed the club recently that he will not be continuing on in 2015, but he would like to keep the door open to make a return in 2016. In 2010 Darcy joined The South Adelaide Football Club, as a Junior and played 15 league games for the club.
“We are disappointed to lose him but understand what he is doing.He had problems with osteitis pubis this season and he couldn’t see himself doing a block in rehab in the pre-season it was just too daunting for him.He needs to get his body right and bounce back hopefully in 2016”, senior coach Brad Gotch said.
Hourigan will play local football in 2015 for Hahndorf Football Club.

Done in by injury.

Almost seems like as good a place as any to end entering in this thread for the year.

I like reading back through this thread and other draft talk threads after the draft. It's amazing how many players we "need to look at getting" don't even get drafted. And also the lack of talk on ANY of the blokes we actually draft.

Be interesting to see a review of all the Armchair draft experts out there 2 years after the draft to see if any of them are even remotely worth listening to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back