Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

The only reason this guy isn't touted as high as we went by Bigfooty and other wannabe draft experts is due to his age. All 18 year olds sound like guns in their write ups... but at the end of the day... how many make it? Rogers believes Blaine has more chance of success at AFL then any player drafted after him.

Position: Midfielder
Club: Swan Districts
Height: 184 cm, Weight: 69 kg, DOB:
Plays like: Brent Stanton
Speed, speed, and more speed. It’s the hallmark of Boekhorst’s game. The mature-age midfielder had a break-out season at league level for Swan Districts this year, averaging 21 disposals and running amok in the midfield. Boekhorst’s ability to breakaway from opponents is the feature in his cap. He tucks the ball under his arm, and rates elite for meters gained, and was one of the highest rating WAFL players this year for bounces per game. He loves to give and get, and is sublime by foot going inside 50 to hit up a target, or go the journey himself. He navigates congestion well with a terrific side step, owing to his solid agility. After he’s broken away, when he’s in space he’s a really handy user of the ball. He’s got good composure and makes the right decision with his disposal. He likes to move the ball long and direct, but his vision to execute a switch through the middle of the ground, squaring the ball up from a wing is something he does with ease. He’s shown enough to suggest that he has an inside game, and has often been utilised at the stoppages and centre square. Silk on the outside, Boekhorst averaged an elite 73 per cent disposal efficiency from his 19 senior outings, but needs to work on his defensive game.

No different to posters on here when we are losing :D

#sakcMick
I even told him that on twitter... that he shouldnt be ashamed of that tweet... just shows passion. I told his granddad and he agreed with me about leaving it up there. I've seen a lot more frothing at the mouth from Carlton supporters when we lose than he showed.

Seems like a really nice kid. I might have to start talking to his dad again and get an invite around to meet him :)

I even told him that on twitter... that he shouldnt be ashamed of that tweet... just shows passion. I told his granddad and he agreed with me about leaving it up there. I've seen a lot more frothing at the mouth from Carlton supporters when we lose than he showed.

Seems like a really nice kid. I might have to start talking to his dad again and get an invite around to meet him :)
When did you move back to Australia?

Position: Midfielder
Club: Swan Districts
Height: 184 cm, Weight: 69 kg, DOB:
Plays like: Brent Stanton
Speed, speed, and more speed. It’s the hallmark of Boekhorst’s game. The mature-age midfielder had a break-out season at league level for Swan Districts this year, averaging 21 disposals and running amok in the midfield. Boekhorst’s ability to breakaway from opponents is the feature in his cap. He tucks the ball under his arm, and rates elite for meters gained, and was one of the highest rating WAFL players this year for bounces per game. He loves to give and get, and is sublime by foot going inside 50 to hit up a target, or go the journey himself. He navigates congestion well with a terrific side step, owing to his solid agility. After he’s broken away, when he’s in space he’s a really handy user of the ball. He’s got good composure and makes the right decision with his disposal. He likes to move the ball long and direct, but his vision to execute a switch through the middle of the ground, squaring the ball up from a wing is something he does with ease. He’s shown enough to suggest that he has an inside game, and has often been utilised at the stoppages and centre square. Silk on the outside, Boekhorst averaged an elite 73 per cent disposal efficiency from his 19 senior outings, but needs to work on his defensive game.
Put him on the power shakes and the heavy tackle bag for the pre season.

Sounds like in boeky and whiley we have a complete player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I don’t think it was a gamble at all,” Rogers said.

“We pick the best players where they are picked. Is he a pick 19? Yes he is, because it doesn’t matter how old they are or what race or colour they are. If they can play they play and that’s where we pick them.”

- Shane Rogers

Put him on the power shakes and the heavy tackle bag for the pre season.

Sounds like in boeky and whiley we have a complete player.
Up to 75kg now but yes needs to gain a bit of size still which I'm sure will come naturally moving to a full time afl environment.

What ??? We failed by taking Cripps ???

Who said that and where ??

Cripps was highly rated so I don't know where you got that opinion from.
Wasn't Cripps highly rated but performed poorly at the combine - putting a lot of clubs off and netting us a bargain as he was top 10 material?

I do enjoy the draft threads for first and second rounders.

Always get people saying, "Should be a walk up start"..."should fit in the 22".

Let's give the kid a break, wish him well and hopefully he enjoys his pre-season and can be exposed toward the end of 2015.

Already so much expectation!!

Wasn't Cripps highly rated but performed poorly at the combine - putting a lot of clubs off and netting us a bargain as he was top 10 material?
Crippa didn't do combine at all from memory.

He's deleted it now but yep, front page of afl.com.au

blainetweet.jpg
So you deleted my post and then put it back up yourself
#stealmylikes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back