Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Struggle to keep him out of best 22's. Just reeks of lass, hits targets, kicks goals.

With Brown and Petrie underdone, wouldn't surprise me if we go with Mason at FF, Black in a pocket and Waite up the ground at CHF. At least until those 2 get fit/show some form.

Struggle to keep him out of best 22's. Just reeks of lass, hits targets, kicks goals.

With Brown and Petrie underdone, wouldn't surprise me if we go with Mason at FF, Black in a pocket and Waite up the ground at CHF. At least until those 2 get fit/show some form.

Well that is good for him I guess. ;)

Black a lovely kick?

He is also not quick compared to a mid. I think he can be better than his terrible 2014 but not as a mid but let's see.

Think Wood far more likely to be that tall mid option rotating off HFF.

We must watch a different game. Black does some of his best work up the ground and has shown he is very good in close, his evasive skills are exceptional and barley misses a target with kicking or hand balling. The only question IMO would be his attack on the contest.
As for not being fast enough to play mid, he'd be quicker then Ziebell, Cunnington, Dal Santo, Swallow, Mckenzie, Gibson, Patch. I'm tipping he'd be one of our quickest over 50 meters.

I'm not saying that Wood won't be playing midfield by the way. I've said since I first watched him in the VFL that I see him as a wing/ forward type. This is why I think we can play both Wood and Black in the same side. We look to be developing a very versatile forward line with quite a few players that can play forward/ mid. Even play 4 talls forward. Its all about creating mismatches and being able to change structures during games.

Love it

We must watch a different game. Black does some of his best work up the ground and has shown he is very good in close, his evasive skills are exceptional and barley misses a target with kicking or hand balling. The only question IMO would be his attack on the contest.
As for not being fast enough to play mid, he'd be quicker then Ziebell, Cunnington, Dal Santo, Swallow, Mckenzie, Gibson, Patch. I'm tipping he'd be one of our quickest over 50 meters.

I'm not saying that Wood won't be playing midfield by the way. I've said since I first watched him in the VFL that I see him as a wing/ forward type. This is why I think we can play both Wood and Black in the same side. We look to be developing a very versatile forward line with quite a few players that can play forward/ mid. Even play 4 talls forward. Its all about creating mismatches and being able to change structures during games.

Love it
Agree with all you are saying bar one thing Donkey Chop ...... Black had at least 2 complete fresh air swings at hand balls last year, this ain't a strength.

Agree with all you are saying bar one thing Donkey Chop ...... Black had at least 2 complete fresh air swings at hand balls last year, this ain't a strength.

No confidence in a banged up shoulder'll do that to you mate, don't recall any blunders like that in his 2013 campaign, he's a pretty crisp ball user when he's fit and firing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still not convinced brad will give him an extended crack this year. He performed consistently at VFL level this year but Brad continued to back in Black. Wood should have been given an opportunity earlier considering blacks poor form.

Internally He isn't seen as a key position player and he isn't really seen as a wingman either. From what I have heard they have really pigeon holed him as a half forward. With Waite coming to the club he is now behind Petrie, Waite, brown and black.

I for one hope he tears the NAB cup a new ass and gets in the round 1 side. I think he'll be hard to get out if he earns a genuine crack at it (especially if he is granted the sort of poor performances that Black put out last year)

I'm still not convinced brad will give him an extended crack this year. He performed consistently at VFL level this year but Brad continued to back in Black. Wood should have been given an opportunity earlier considering blacks poor form.

Internally He isn't seen as a key position player and he isn't really seen as a wingman either. From what I have heard they have really pigeon holed him as a half forward. With Waite coming to the club he is now behind Petrie, Waite, brown and black.

I for one hope he tears the NAB cup a new ass and gets in the round 1 side. I think he'll be hard to get out if he earns a genuine crack at it (especially if he is granted the sort of poor performances that Black put out last year)

Y7N8NtK.jpg

A fit Black would make a better midfielder than Wood I reckon. I think Black's agility would be superior.

Also think Black will comfortably have a better career than Wood but I'm just stating that to stir up Saintly.

A fit Black would make a better midfielder than Wood I reckon. I think Black's agility would be superior.

Also think Black will comfortably have a better career than Wood but I'm just stating that to stir up Saintly.

Ha....i'll bite.

I just don't know if Black has 'it'. He is very soft despite all the talent in the world. Plus he is a tweener with an injury riddled past.

I'm confident Wood will become a quality player as he is a much better kick and has more intensity/aggression - plus HFF suits him perfectly. Neither are midfielders though and i'm not suggesting that.

Clearly our most exciting prospect outside the 22.

Has a bit of Corey Jones about him, who was an extremely dangerous footballer at his best.

I'll start by saying that I haven't watched a massive amount of VFL so I know I'm not the perfect judge but I just don't see the "he's a victim of the selection committee / should have got more games" thing with Wood.

The club publicly stated a couple of times that it was his defensive qualitities that he needed to work on and from what I saw in his debut game (a game where f all defence was played) he's still got a ways to go.

Added to that, he picked up a couple of little injuries that just seemed to come at the worst time possible and I think these two things have more to do with why he's only played 1 game than any selection committee conspiracy

I like Wood (the player, not in the Twinkletoes sense).

But I want to see him in a game other than a nothing game vs Melbourne before crowning him the next big thing.

I mean it was Melbourne. And they were shitful. How much do you take from that game apart from a lot of confidence on Wood's part and confidence for the fans that there's some talent there?

I'll start by saying that I haven't watched a massive amount of VFL so I know I'm not the perfect judge but I just don't see the "he's a victim of the selection committee / should have got more games" thing with Wood.
Reminiscent of the Ayden Kennedy outcry although, unlike him, I'm thinking he'll make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back