What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Journo, that nuffie would say every year Everitt was going to Carlton until he went to Sydney
Interestingly, he did end up at Carlton. So I guess if you wait long enough you come out right in the end.

Who is Greg Denham? never heard of the guy
He has a history of trying to come across as a 'hard hitting' journo by taking aim at the softest targets. Melbourne and Dogs are two of his favourite topics. The Melbourne board has several threads going on him I think.

Industry doesn't hold him in particularly high regard and he writes for a paper that nobody reads. If not for his role on SEN his opinions wouldn't get enough oxygen to circulate very far.

There are a number of sports Journos who's sole purpose in life is to make a headline, get noticed. They don't really care about having any reasoning or logic behind what they say, they simply say it to get attention and hope they become relevant because of it.

I won't name them.....because that's what they crave!

What I dont get with journalism in footy, is that journalists (with the exception of people like Gerard Whateley) tend to be as reactive and thoughtless as the random punter on the street. Strong opinions. Little evidence. Emotional....

It is a pissweak culture and needs to be challenged by some professional values. The aim isn't to be controversial, it is to be a bloody professional source of information and evidence based opinion. If I acted like that in my job in public commentary I'd get the sack.
Their aim is to make money, nothing more. It's just the way of the majority of the world, sadly

"WESTERN BULLDOGS
Will Minson is coming off an indifferent season that saw him dropped after being All Australian the year before. If the 29-year-old can't return to top form under new coach Luke Beveridge, Tom Campbell is ready to assume the mantle as the Dogs' No.1 ruckman. The 23-year-old has dominated in the VFL, shown he's capable at AFL level and can take a strong mark up forward. After only 20 games in six seasons, injury-prone Ayce Cordy really needs a big year. The 24-year-old has been tried forward and back, but the ruck looks his best position. At 204cm, Cordy has great agility and mobility, but he needs to work on his physicality at the stoppages and take more marks around the ground. Hulking forward Jack Redpath is capable of giving the No.1 man a chop out as he showed in his three career games last year, with the 24-year-old's physicality impressive. And with the jury still out on whether recently appointed vice-captain Jordan Roughead is a long-term key defender, a return to his old role as a ruck/forward may not be out of the question. – Ryan Davidson"

That's the most accurate assessment of our list I've ever seen an AFL writer make.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ace-as-excitement-builds-20150124-12wizf.html

Murphy, a touch light-heartedly, offered up one way to improve defensively.
"We would probably like to not have to defend as much," he said. "We would like the forwards to put it through the big white ones a little bit more often to make it a little bit easier for Roughie [fullback and new vice-captain Jordan Roughead], so he can point and direct people and act like the boss.
"We will wait and see. Once games start, we know an AFL season is a bit of a roller-coaster, so we will have challenges, of course, through the year. But we think we are putting enough work in now to hold us in good stead."
That work involves producing a quicker tempo of play, with as much focus on kicking goals as there on defending.

Would love a poll.....
Do you think Ayce Cordy will be a bulldog listed player in season 2016.
But understand its not great to speculate in that manner on a players future.
He is one that has always divided opinion though.
It's not great to speculate solely on one player's future, but perhaps there's an alternative means by which it could be done.

How do we see the list shaping in 2016 and beyond? Which players take it to the next level, and which players don't? Does Player X move from the backline to the forward line, does Player Y step up and move into the midfield? Which areas will we need to target once these players either step up or move on?

We speculate a lot across the various threads, so it might be an idea to concentrate some of these thoughts in a thread - without it becoming just another Trade & List Management/Draft discussion/Carlisle-watch thread.

If Ayce finds some c*nt in his game, he's a no brainer to be on the list. He has good skills, can run and is 6'9" however he plays the game not to get hurt (whether he is programmed that way or gun shy due to injuries I don't know) but he has all the attributes to be a player. Put it this way, if we could mix his football ability with Clay Smith's aggression, you'd have a star.

It is something that he can address, and I hope he does because he could be a valuable player.

If Ayce finds some c*nt in his game, he's a no brainer to be on the list. He has good skills, can run and is 6'9" however he plays the game not to get hurt (whether he is programmed that way or gun shy due to injuries I don't know) but he has all the attributes to be a player. Put it this way, if we could mix his football ability with Clay Smith's aggression, you'd have a star.

It is something that he can address, and I hope he does because he could be a valuable player.

I'm thinking of the waterboy. Need to hire that coach for ayce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the way, are we happy with the amount of media our club is putting out? I, for one, would like to see Beveridge do a few more interviews; not to get him to say something controversial, but just to give more exposure. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Agree, I really enjoyed the Gather the Pack videos last preseason. Would love to have that kind of thing going on again. Bev giving the members a little more insight into game plan / play style would be great too. Dude can't talk in front of a camera at all though.

No, I don't want him giving anything away just yet. Let's wait until the season proper and let the guy find his feet with the dynamics of the team. We've already heard from Bob that they are "taking the game on" and fast movement is being encouraged. Anyone who goes to training or reads the reports of those that do can work it out for themselves. It's way too early for the coach to be in the spotlight. No other coaches are, either.

I never heard a coach say we're going to slow down and not take the game on.

We're still firmly in bullshit pre-season mode. (Which is a good sign, you want a coach who knows how to play the game just as long as they get results)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone heard Higgins on SEN this morning? I turned over at the end and I was just wondering what he had to say on leaving the Dogs. Don't care about bullshit pre-season crap he might have mentioned about training the house down ect.

I never heard a coach say we're going to slow down and not take the game on.
Macca said it in as many words though.

But in Bev's case, all we've heard from reports of training is that we're looking at playing a faster and more entertaining game style.

But in Bev's case, all we've heard from reports of training is that we're looking at playing a faster and more entertaining game style.
more swag less boring

Forget the updates from the senior coach, I want some off-season exposes:

"Robert Murphy: What I really think of Ryan Griffen"
...Great footballer, but he relates to pigs better due to the intellectual similarity...

"Brett Montgomery: Iago references spot on"
...After my AFL coaching career finishes , I actually want to BE a Shakepsearean thespian...
...A certain player's mother and I were involved in an amateur theatre group together, and regularly rehearsed scenes in the Pound Cafe area...
...yebiga and I sat down and had a good laugh about it all...

"Will Minson and Koby Stevens: What really happened in the change rooms at training"
...Will (laughing): I still can't believe people thought it was a real fight!...
...Koby (slapping knee): I know, we were just rehearsing the fight scene that Iago, I mean Monty, asked us to for Macbeth, cos we were joining his theatre group...

"Mark Austin: Why I got games in 2014"
...There were NO photos of the coach. Honestly. He just thought I was Tom Lonergan...

"Michael Talia: Why I couldn't get a game in 2014"
...And as a joke, the guys kept calling me Mark Austin, and Macca seemed to believe it...

"BF posters VitalDread and timtamWB: Yes, we are dating"
...The 2015 East meets West Day was our announcement to the world...

He may have said it, but it was far from evident on the field.
We not only lost more than we won but we played a horrible brand of football to watch.
I don't care how fast or slow our ball movement is or whether or not we play an attractive style, we need to win more than we lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back