Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

"Chill out" or "chilled" are the two terms that make me cringe so much with music.

It's a lazy synonym for pretty broad genres and emotions. People would probably call Knives Out by Radiohead "chill" while saying a Real Estate or Ducktails album is "such chill stuff." King Krule could get it too, and Rejjie Snow... Pete Rock but then Terror Twilight... all of those songs or bands or albums are completely different, different genres and about completely different topics and conveying emotions so different...

Chet Faker bitches about girls like every other white boy in music (rappers don't bitch; they're so much cooler when talking about (...so many) females). Not really chill. Music's kind of down-tempo. Music and television are probably the two best ways to express specific or varied or niched emotions... you don't have to be Patrick Bateman or that dude from MTV who dresses like he's 18 still (John Norris, isn't that his name?) but "chill" is so lazy and kinda corny.

Just sounds like white boys who occasionally slip up and call drug users "druggies" and still believe a coke is "pretty bad stuff."

"Chill out" or "chilled" are the two terms that make me cringe so much with music.

It's a lazy synonym for pretty broad genres and emotions. People would probably call Knives Out by Radiohead "chill" while saying a Real Estate or Ducktails album is "such chill stuff." King Krule could get it too, and Rejjie Snow... Pete Rock but then Terror Twilight... all of those songs or bands or albums are completely different, different genres and about completely different topics and conveying emotions so different...

Chet Faker bitches about girls like every other white boy in music (rappers don't bitch; they're so much cooler when talking about (...so many) females). Not really chill. Music's kind of down-tempo. Music and television are probably the two best ways to express specific or varied or niched emotions... you don't have to be Patrick Bateman or that dude from MTV who dresses like he's 18 still (John Norris, isn't that his name?) but "chill" is so lazy and kinda corny.

Just sounds like white boys who occasionally slip up and call drug users "druggies" and still believe a coke is "pretty bad stuff."
Mate come on, we all know what we mean by chill out music, its more the act of whats happening and the music that usually accompanies it. Don't think I've seen a more over thought post like this in a while... Chill out man ;)

Charles Bronson is quite chill.

CharlesBronson_zpsff91f240.jpg

Mate come on, we all know what we mean by chill out music, its more the act of whats happening and the music that usually accompanies it. Don't think I've seen a more over thought post like this in a while... Chill out man ;)
Do you have white boy dreadies by any chance?

Off topic: Are you suggesting coke isn't bad stuff?
You seem to have a very black and white image of the world. Cocaine is not that bad of a drug. There are drugs far, far more addictive than coke – which is a hugely prevalent drug in the US/UK/Europe and even here, plenty of people are able to use it without getting hooked or it ruining their lives.

Do you have white boy dreadies by any chance?

You seem to have a very black and white image of the world. Cocaine is not that bad of a drug. There are drugs far, far more addictive than coke – which is a hugely prevalent drug in the US/UK/Europe and even here, plenty of people are able to use it without getting hooked or it ruining their lives.
I agree it isn't the worst drug in the world, but it is addictive and it can be deadly. As far as anti social behaviour goes, it isn't destructive, so that's not a bad thing, but * it, maybe people shouldn't need hard drugs? Or is that just too old fashioned for these parts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it isn't the worst drug in the world, but it is addictive and it can be deadly. As far as anti social behaviour goes, it isn't destructive, so that's not a bad thing, but **** it, maybe people shouldn't need hard drugs? Or is that just too old fashioned for these parts?
It's not old fashioned it's just pretty sheltered

It's not old fashioned it's just pretty sheltered
Or he's just not a fan of cocaine?

I don't think that people should need drugs or alcohol to go out and have a good time.

But then again I'd support the destruction of all drugs and alcohol, except the ones used for medicinal purposes, so what do I know? :p

This is my thread so I can say the drug conversation is fine. I'm not grabbing the footy and huffing home!

Cocaine is not a terrible drug. Every drug is addictive and can be abused but there's plenty of drugs and vices that you can control and enjoy. Coke is massive in the world, still pretty big in Australia, but massive in the UK et al where it's in the water stream and on every bank note because even scungey students can afford it – even if it's rarely.

There are successful people who like the s**t and have a great time but can, one day, put in the past. It's not that bizarre. Most schmucks on even shitty Aussie TV are on the s**t and manage to lead a career and probably have the self-restraint to hit 35 and think, "ah, well, probably not for me anymore."

All your favourite bands are having a few lines backstage or at a party with Cara Delevingne.

If you were 24, touring the world, getting lays from girls who were shooting for i-D magazine just four hours ago, and with arrogance and excitement and youth on your side, you'd be loving the s**t too. You could even get addicted to it but Stephen Fry's got off the gear after having a few bumps before getting his OBE or whatever it was from the Queen. The guy was heavy into it and got off it. It's not bizarre. Good on him. There's a reason people do it – the s**t's great fun. Damon Albarn was addicted to heroin and the bloke got off it while still producing the best music he ever did.

I mean Alex James, one birthday, picked out four groupies and racked up lines and drank the most expensive wine on earth. He went and played to 15,000 people in South America the next night. If that isn't something you'd sell your left teste for at age 20, what's your idea of fun?

I mean Alex James, one birthday, picked out four groupies and racked up lines and drank the most expensive wine on earth. He went and played to 15,000 people in South America the next night. If that isn't something you'd sell your left teste for at age 20, what's your idea of fun?
I'd rather spend my birthday just hanging out with my mates and doing s**t around the city, and then calling my girlfriend or if she's with me spend the night with her, and that doesn't even necessarily involve sex. Then play for 15,000 people the next night. And I'm 21.

Might sound boring to you but it sounds infinitely better to me than the scenario you pointed out.

You rip on artists like Chet Faker, when the real problem is people like this, they have no artistic integrity and simply want to become famous to * hot groupies and score cheap drugs. I thought this s**t died with those crappy glamrock bands.

It's no wonder Britpop bands like Blur are laughed at now

I was never "edge" but used to seek artists/musicians that were clean because I knew the product wasn't tainted. These days I consume music like most people eat their food and dont seem to mind about the process, just the taste. But it's still refreshing to find drug free musicians (sadly).

Most of my favourite bands are teetotaler/feature teetotaler members, or indulge in the drink and the tobacco. Maybe the weed too. I have to disagree with the following.

All your favourite bands are having a few lines backstage or at a party with Cara Delevingne.

Fact is, apart from the playing to thousands of people and super model quality girls, I could get a hold of drugs and easy women and "enjoy" one of those situations, but I'm not interested in that. I don't look up to people that do it, I understand the reasons and the attraction, but I don't look up to it. I look up to artists who take their career seriously, take their health and body seriously, take their lives seriously, to do what they do for as long as possible and to give every possible fan the chance to see them play. Not partyboys with an ounce or 2 of talent who squander it while riding the 15 minutes of fame in to the tequila sunset. It's no different to a footy player squandering their career.

I do agree that cocaine isn't the worst drug. I don't agree it isn't "bad", and I certainly don't admire people because they've been able to manage a habit.

You rip on artists like Chet Faker, when the real problem is people like this, they have no artistic integrity and simply want to become famous to **** hot groupies and score cheap drugs. I thought this s**t died with those crappy glamrock bands.

It's no wonder Britpop bands like Blur are laughed at now
Blur made great music though. What's wrong with taking advantage of a plate of coke and some girls who are consenting to sex? Who cares. Everyone would love that s**t but you need some luck and a bit of talent and determination to actually do it. What kind of gay band sit down with crossed legs? You can still be an interesting person, well read and versed in culture, and still indulge in s**t like that. Vampire Weekend are a good example – you really think Ezra's not a big coke man? It's been alluded to plenty of times in his interviews.

You can still produce amazing songs while being into girls and coke and sleeping with models. Alex Turner still does alright despite his entire life seemingly revolving around sleeping with pretty models, wearing Cosmo Kramer's old clothes, and clearly loving a bit of Charlie before a gig.

Fact is, apart from the playing to thousands of people and super model quality girls, I could get a hold of drugs and easy women and "enjoy" one of those situations, but I'm not interested in that. I don't look up to people that do it, I understand the reasons and the attraction, but I don't look up to it. I look up to artists who take their career seriously, take their health and body seriously, take their lives seriously, to do what they do for as long as possible and to give every possible fan the chance to see them play. Not partyboys with an ounce or 2 of talent who squander it while riding the 15 minutes of fame in to the tequila sunset. It's no different to a footy player squandering their career.

I do agree that cocaine isn't the worst drug. I don't agree it isn't "bad", and I certainly don't admire people because they've been able to manage a habit.
Kids keep up playing footy for plenty of reasons: money, attention, fame, girls. What's wrong with that? People are free to use their fame and life as they want.

This obsession with boring arse, vanilla do-gooders is so lame. People like Bozza and George Best might've pissed it away or died too young, but they got to the top and experienced some amazing things will there. They're the interesting people – the flawed ones with stories to tell. I've always loved that. Because it's real. We're all flawed and tempted and good things are enticing to us all... I have no issue with teetotalling and respect, especially, young men who have the ability to not need to drink. But disrespecting musicians into coke? What, do they have to be up early the next morning?!

You can love the gear and the perks of the job and still churn out good work.

When you have yes men all around you, Candice Swanapoel's number in your phone, and gall and ego you'd be like this too. You can still be a nice and decent and interesting musician while being this way, but it's by no means shameful. It's the dream.

I don't usually care about what other people think of music and what they like or dislike, but in the case of people disliking The Smith Street Band all I say is booooooo (although I can understand it, his voice isn't for everyone).

Also, I love Chet Faker, there's no problem with a stage name, so many artists have done it before, and how is that or The Smith Street Band ironic?

Blur made great music though. What's wrong with taking advantage of a plate of coke and some girls who are consenting to sex? Who cares. Everyone would love that s**t but you need some luck and a bit of talent and determination to actually do it. What kind of gay band sit down with crossed legs? You can still be an interesting person, well read and versed in culture, and still indulge in s**t like that. Vampire Weekend are a good example – you really think Ezra's not a big coke man? It's been alluded to plenty of times in his interviews.

You can still produce amazing songs while being into girls and coke and sleeping with models. Alex Turner still does alright despite his entire life seemingly revolving around sleeping with pretty models, wearing Cosmo Kramer's old clothes, and clearly loving a bit of Charlie before a gig.
Blur made average music that doesn't hold up that well in my opinion. Personally I would take any Gorillaz album over the best of Blur.

Secondly I find people like George Harrison (Who I acknowledge was a massive drug user too), artists who spend time travelling the world and educating themselves on different culture far more interesting than Alex Turner who just comes across as smug ******** (And I'm a massive AM fan)

As for Ezra Koenig, the son of two successful parents who probably had access to the best New York education possible? It would be an embarrasment if he wasn't well read. I think someone like NAS is far more impressive than him

I was never "edge" but used to seek artists/musicians that were clean because I knew the product wasn't tainted. These days I consume music like most people eat their food and dont seem to mind about the process, just the taste. But it's still refreshing to find drug free musicians (sadly).
You have a Joy Division avatar. Is their music 'tainted'?

Great artists are iconoclastic - right back to Mozart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back