Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

You have a Joy Division avatar. Is their music 'tainted'?

Great artists are iconoclastic - right back to Mozart.
Do you actually know what iconoclastic means? Because it really has no bearing on this current discussion.

As for Ezra Koenig, the son of two successful parents who probably had access to the best New York education possible? It would be an embarrasment if he wasn't well read. I think someone like NAS is far more impressive than him
The son of a jazz musician with a penchant for marijuana use?

You have a Joy Division avatar. Is their music 'tainted'?

Great artists are iconoclastic - right back to Mozart.
Tainted? Very much so. By much more than drugs though. For the record I'm not a huge JD fan but love the art. Honestly, I don't care if people consume drugs all day and wouldn't be judgemental towards them, I just find it refreshing when the art comes naturally.

That great artists are usually counter to the orthodoxy... Makes perfect sense.
It's genuinely considered that artists should partake in drugs, alcohol, women, and all of those sort of things. So if you're saying that sort of behaviour is iconoclastic, you're way off the mark.

This obsession with boring arse, vanilla do-gooders is so lame. People like Bozza and George Best might've pissed it away or died too young, but they got to the top and experienced some amazing things will there. They're the interesting people – the flawed ones with stories to tell. I've always loved that. Because it's real. We're all flawed and tempted and good things are enticing to us all... I have no issue with teetotalling and respect, especially, young men who have the ability to not need to drink. But disrespecting musicians into coke? What, do they have to be up early the next morning?!

You can love the gear and the perks of the job and still churn out good work.

When you have yes men all around you, Candice Swanapoel's number in your phone, and gall and ego you'd be like this too. You can still be a nice and decent and interesting musician while being this way, but it's by no means shameful. It's the dream.

After racking my brain, I can say the only musician I look up to who has manged an illegal substance habit is Dave Mustaine, and it nearly ended his career. I find nothing boring about Gene Simmons, the Young brothers, Dee Snider. That list would at least double if you include people who drink and smoke but don't do hard drugs, including Bruce Springsteen, Paul Stanley, Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck, Henry Rollins...

If banging supermodels, getting high, and ending up in the tabloid pages is "interesting"... well I dunno, it seems juvenile to me. The stories of people who don't do those things are just as "real". If anything, I would argue they are more genuine as those people aren't ****ed out of their mind 24/7.

Sounds like you're arguing people can only be interesting if they take hard drugs and indulge themselves. I think people are interesting if they're interesting, don't particularly care for their superficial habits.

After racking my brain, I can say the only musician I look up to who has manged an illegal substance habit is Dave Mustaine, and it nearly ended his career. I find nothing boring about Gene Simmons, the Young brothers, Dee Snider. That list would at least double if you include people who drink and smoke but don't do hard drugs, including Bruce Springsteen, Paul Stanley, Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck, Henry Rollins...

If banging supermodels, getting high, and ending up in the tabloid pages is "interesting"... well I dunno, it seems juvenile to me. The stories of people who don't do those things are just as "real". If anything, I would argue they are more genuine as those people aren't stuffed out of their mind 24/7.

Sounds like you're arguing people can only be interesting if they take hard drugs and indulge themselves. I think people are interesting if they're interesting, don't particularly care for their superficial habits.
Henry Rollins doesn't drink or smoke does he?

The idea of coke being an ok substance is down right nonsense. It will lead to harder drugs that will ruin anyone, even still by itself is lethal. However if the substance was to be pure thats another story, but as it stands it has terrible effects to the body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed sheeran sucks balls. I can't stand his songs, they either make no sense or they're too depressing. In fact I feel this way about a lot of mainstream music nowadays. Its either depressing or absolute garbage.

That's not what orthodoxy means.
I assume orthodoxy was taken from the word orthodox, which means, essentially, things that are normal and expected.

It was a tounge in cheek comment, I don't care for the bloke either

I wouldn't have a problem is he enjoyed his vices to himself, but putting himself all over instagram and facebook is nothing but pretentious douchebaggery that is not justified, no matter how well you are doing.

The idea of coke being an ok substance is down right nonsense. It will lead to harder drugs that will ruin anyone, even still by itself is lethal. However if the substance was to be pure thats another story, but as it stands it has terrible effects to the body.
You're an idiot.

Hope that fueled your ego, champ
Not really. But the notion that cocaine is like meth is ludicrous. The idea of 'gateway drugs' is completely ludicrous – it is your social circles and environment that engage that kind of advancement into actual addiction. I don't know, like I just think, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Armadale bogans aren't racking massively expensive lines...

Your hero Frank Ocean loves the s**t too, no doubt.

Not really. But the notion that cocaine is like meth is ludicrous. The idea of 'gateway drugs' is completely ludicrous – it is your social circles and environment that engage that kind of advancement into actual addiction. I don't know, like I just think, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Armadale bogans aren't racking massively expensive lines...

Your hero Frank Ocean loves the s**t too, no doubt.
I think you're missing the point that a friends circle with drug use is part of the gateway. If your friends start to try new things there is an expectation on someone they will follow suit. Deny that all you want, but it happens. In addition, people are always after the next best thing. And I never said it was as bad as meth, but to think there is no side effects cocaine use is in fact ludicrous.

And whether frank takes drugs or not is entirely irrelevant to what I think of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back