"We will get better"- Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, but he's closer to clueless then he is to gifted. He's below average compared to the other 17 AFL coaches.

And is the reason we have played in 2 finals in a row ??

Hardwick could win back to back flags and people would still be unhappy and find something to complain about.

The most tactically gifted in the AFL? No
More than capable tactically? Yes.
Spot on.
He's no Clarkson, Lyon or Roos
But he's also nowhere near the bottom of the heap.

If we don't go anywhere in the next year or two then IMO we throw stupid money at one of the above (not Roos) and bring them to the club.

We're buggered. We are mentally scarred from playing elimination finals.
I know journalists only take snippets of information and run with it But mentally scarred from an elimination final. We finished 8th and kicked into gale and gave them a free man.
Go through the year undefeated and go out in straight sets. Then talk about mental scarring in hushed tones and only to your wife.

The easy way to get better in 2015 is to have the group play the game plan with true conviction. that'll win a lot of matches we lost in 2014. Add in some natural improvement and development and we go well. The big thing in 2014 was the coaching group, and the leadership group losing the plot re the game plan in the start of the season. That then lost confidence and it went down from there. A few key injuries didn't help. But in the end it was the coaching group that screwed up, with a lot of help from not the smartest and strongest leadership group in the players. Hopefully they learnt from that and we will come out all guns blazing.

So, to me, Hardwick was at fault for screwing the start of 2014. And he is also at fault for the amazing recovery in the last 9 games. If he truly has learnt, along with the rest of the club we will be much stronger in 2015 and play like a genuine contender.

Hardwick could win back to back flags and people would still be unhappy and find something to complain about.
How bout he doesn't blow half a season and wins a final first and then we could test this theory .

I would of thought he'd deserve the love you have for him if he won a premiership . 2 would be a bonus.

We're buggered. We are mentally scarred from playing elimination finals.
I know journalists only take snippets of information and run with it But mentally scarred from an elimination final. We finished 8th and kicked into gale and gave them a free man.
Go through the year undefeated and go out in straight sets. Then talk about mental scarring in hushed tones and only to your wife.
Yer they did the same last year . Talked about how much it hurt , how hard they were working ( apparently we didn't train at all and the coaching staff didn't notice till round 14) .

All Hardwick does in press conferences is give other teams ammo.

Fair enough, but he's closer to clueless then he is to gifted. He's below average compared to the other 17 AFL coaches.
This staggers me kozi, I would have thought that a bloke who takes a basket case to two finals series in an era of compromised drafts and salary cap rorts shows some ability, at least a long way from clueless.
Adelaide, Philip Walsh - Can't see how you rate him higher!
Brisbane, Justin Leppitsch - Shows promise, maybe he learned a bit from Dimma;)
Carlton, Mick Malthouse - Runs on board but appears best days are behind him, struggling at Carlton.
Collingwood, Nathan Buckley - Taking them backwards according to many Magpies, jury well and truly out.
Essendon, James Hird - Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!:D
Fremantle, Ross Lyon - Appears to build strong cultures, but is it at the expense of long term stability, will be interesting to see the state he leaves Freo in.
Geelong, Chris Scott - Inherited one of the best sides in AFL history, will now see what he is made off as stars fall off his list.
Gold Coast, Rodney Eade - I rate Rodney and he has walked into a side on the cusp.
GWS, Leon Cameron - Shown bugger all so far, has time on his side.
Hawthorn, Al Clarkson - No1 on most peoples list and for a good reason.
Melbourne, Paul Roos - Lets see how he goes about it from the bottom, if he continues to improve Melb in his second year then yah, the hype may be justified.
North Melbourne, Brad Scott - Lol, would hate this bloke as coach.
Port Adelaide, Ken Hinkley - Ticking all the boxes to this stage, Primus must have been awful.
St Kilda, Alan Richardson - In a similar position to Dimma when he took charge, let's see if he can do as well.
Sydney, John Longmire - Took over a premiership outfit and has substantial AFL assistance.
WCE, Adam Simpson - Shown to be nothing special so far, apparently they have a good list.
Western Bulldogs - Luke Beveridge - See P Walsh.

Only four current coaches would I consider ahead of Dimma and only Clarkson I would take at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This staggers me kozi, I would have thought that a bloke who takes a basket case to two finals series in an era of compromised drafts and salary cap rorts shows some ability, at least a long way from clueless.
Carlton, Mick Malthouse - Runs on board but appears best days are behind him, struggling at Carlton.
Collingwood, Nathan Buckley - Taking them backwards according to many Magpies, jury well and truly out.
Fremantle, Ross Lyon - Appears to build strong cultures, but is it at the expense of long term stability, will be interesting to see the state he leaves Freo in.
Geelong, Chris Scott - Inherited one of the best sides in AFL history, will now see what he is made off as stars fall off his list.
Gold Coast, Rodney Eade - I rate Rodney and he has walked into a side on the cusp.
Melbourne, Paul Roos - Lets see how he goes about it from the bottom, if he continues to improve Melb in his second year then yah, the hype may be justified.
Port Adelaide, Ken Hinkley - Ticking all the boxes to this stage, Primus must have been awful.
St Kilda, Alan Richardson - In a similar position to Dimma when he took charge, let's see if he can do as well.
Sydney, John Longmire - Took over a premiership outfit and has substantial AFL assistance.
WCE, Adam Simpson - Shown to be nothing special so far, apparently they have a good list.

Only four current coaches would I consider ahead of Dimma and only Clarkson I would take at this stage.

Dont bother with the Koz, hes never wrong.

He cant even turn left because hes so right

Imo I disagree. You cant say he is closer to clueless, then say he is last on the ladder to other coaches, in the same breadth as saying fair enough to the over use of that term he is clueless. Your contradicting yourself. There is no way we would have made finals twice in a row, for the first time since the 70's if he is clueless. I know you disagree but that is my view.

Spot on.
He's no Clarkson, Lyon or Roos
But he's also nowhere near the bottom of the heap.

If we don't go anywhere in the next year or two then IMO we throw stupid money at one of the above (not Roos) and bring them to the club.
The thing is, pretty much all posters have said this. He is on notice and we will see how we go. The big point for me, is we would have to replace him with a known premiership/GF coach to make it worthwhile. Replacing him with a rookie wouldn't make any sense to me, and you may as well keep DH. This is all predicating on us not making finals or similar and us sacking him.

That's a great way to look at it. Even if you're not a Dimma fan, you'd take him ahead of most of that lot. Clubs get coaches wrong a LOT.

The other thing to remember is how quickly coaches fall out of favor. Last year everyone thought Mark Thompson was the bees' knees... until all of a sudden they didn't... and now he's a commentator.

And the OTHER other thing is how we tend to overrate the importance of the coach. I would crawl over broken glass for Clarkson, but one thing Hawthorn did when they appointed him was put strict limits on his role. He does a lot, but he doesn't do everything. At Richmond, I'm reasonably satisfied with Dimma, but I give a lot of the credit for our successive finals' appearances to Benny Gale. Cover your ears, but I wonder how Wallace would have done under Gale, with money and some decent cattle...

I used the " would or wouldn't kick into a gale in an away final criteria" and they all came in ahead of Dimma.
I know I go on about it but really? Our club managed to do it.
These are the things you are judged on. Especially when it's the last thing you did. Still has the job so has a chance to redeem himself and good luck to him.

It's also not down to just "The Coach", the successful teams are also the teams that are stable off field, have the best football departments, administrations and facilities.
Richmond pre Gale and Hardwick were severely lacking in a lot of areas, the gap is closing rapidly, our facilities are now first class and the training surface is up to scratch, membership has risen from 35,960 in 2010 to 66,122 last season and our sponsorships are extremely strong.
We have, IMO, recruited smartly since 2010, we have only ONE player 30 or over and have nailed our first rounders, Conca included.
Since 2010 we have recruited the following from other clubs:
Chaplin, Gordon, Grigg, Hampson, Houli, Hunt, Knights, Maric, Miles, Thompson to varying degrees of success, but more importantly none have cost us much in draft or salary cap terms, the four highlighted have been absolute bargains and Hunt may well be.
Since 2010 we have lost the following to other clubs:
Collins, Morton, McGuane, White, Nahas, Tambling, Graham, Polo and I'd say we are way in front on that score.
Successful football clubs are a team effort in modern times, the inspirational firebrand coaching methods of the past are long gone, the vast majority of the coaching is done before the match, it's midfield units v midfield units not Wood v Grieg v Flower etc and it's having your best players on the park and playing well as they raise the standard for the rest and average players become good, good become very good and so on, then the TEAM as a whole is transformed.
I believe that under DH we are well on the way to becoming a very, very good side.

That's a great way to look at it. Even if you're not a Dimma fan, you'd take him ahead of most of that lot. Clubs get coaches wrong a LOT.

The other thing to remember is how quickly coaches fall out of favor. Last year everyone thought Mark Thompson was the bees' knees... until all of a sudden they didn't... and now he's a commentator.

And the OTHER other thing is how we tend to overrate the importance of the coach. I would crawl over broken glass for Clarkson, but one thing Hawthorn did when they appointed him was put strict limits on his role. He does a lot, but he doesn't do everything. At Richmond, I'm reasonably satisfied with Dimma, but I give a lot of the credit for our successive finals' appearances to Benny Gale. Cover your ears, but I wonder how Wallace would have done under Gale, with money and some decent cattle...
As Geelong did with Thompson after 2006, look how that turned out.
It's not just AFL, how would Alex Ferguson/Bob Paisley have gone with the money and facilities available to a Stoke City or Burnley?

I used the " would or wouldn't kick into a gale in an away final criteria" and they all came in ahead of Dimma.
I know I go on about it but really? Our club managed to do it.
These are the things you are judged on. Especially when it's the last thing you did. Still has the job so has a chance to redeem himself and good luck to him.
That's true. I was at that game. I felt the wind on my face. I want to hear that the club conducted a scathing review into how that decision was made. I don't care if it's private. But it's like we decided to roll out for a final in dress shoes. "It was line ball, we didn't think there was much in it." HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT DECISION.

Hardwick could take us to consecutive wooden spoons and people would still be happy and find something to pump his tyres about .
But he hasn't done that has he?
Two consecutive finals series after coaching a list that couldn't win a game.

We are hopeless at wanting a coach sacked if things don't go perfectly.

Thank God for Benny Gale who is strong.

That's true. I was at that game. I felt the wind on my face. I want to hear that the club conducted a scathing review into how that decision was made. I don't care if it's private. But it's like we decided to roll out for a final in dress shoes. "It was line ball, we didn't think there was much in it." HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT DECISION.
We don't need to hear that publicly, I would hazard a guess that it's been discussed internally, at length.

Cmon trying to make negatives out of positives.

The club is on the right track.

In finals, clubs will hunt us as we are RICHMOND!

FFS, H and A games are grand finals for opposition clubs when Richmond comes up on the fixture.

We just have to go that extra for EVERY CLUB and HUNT THEM!

They know just ONE Richmond flag will kill their clubs!

It's been Collingwood's ,Norf's,Geelong's and the Doggies Granny for decades lol.

Now Brisbane will hunt us this year.

We are not a little club that can hide away and escape being a target.
WE ARE RICHMOND!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back