Is Gary Ablett Junior Returning to The Cattery?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the Cats would tell him to GAGF.
No way, Geelong and their fans still love him anyway.

Can't think of an Essendon example but I'd welcome Suarez straight back to Liverpool if he wanted to come back. Or I'd definitely welcome Monfries back, but he's not really comparable to Ablett.

With Gary Ablett junior still unsigned & yet to commit his future to a new contract, is there any chance he will return back to his state & town of Origin?

He stated publicly himself that he wanted Guy McKenna to remain as coach, & yet, as we all know, McKenna was dumped & departed in acrimonious circumstances.

There is also the fact of his manager, one Mr Liam Pickering, & his usual modus operandi in having his clients move clubs more often for bigger contracts in order to feather his own nest!

It would not surprise this punter for one, to see Ablett Junior remain unsigned until the end of the season, which - when it comes to Pickering's clients - means that he is almost certainly gone....If he hasn't signed by the beginning of the Football year, then Gold Coast fans would have real cause for concern.

The Cats will likely lose Enright at the end of 2015. Also, Kelly (Pace), Johnson (Foot) & Bartel (Knee) can't have much longer to go. So salary cap issues won't be a major concern if 2 or more of these blokes retire....Indeed, we may even see the scenario where both of Ablett & Dangerfield end up at the Cattery together in 2016!

The silence over this one has the alarm bells ringing in my ears!....Am I the only one hearing them?
What's this knee complaint of Bartel? News to me.

That would be ruddy awesome if he did. Imagine Danger, Selwood and Gazza all in the same midfield
Imagine Selwood, Ablett, Corey, Ling and Bartel in the same midfield ... s**t it's already happened.

Why would he leave a promising team like the Suns when Geelong are set to slide down the ladder?
So you'll be made to look like a fool, with others ... again.

Lol, pretty sure he missed out on a premiership in the name of the $.

29948-zombieland-wipe-my-tears-with-cash.gif

With Gary Ablett junior still unsigned & yet to commit his future to a new contract, is there any chance he will return back to his state & town of Origin?

He stated publicly himself that he wanted Guy McKenna to remain as coach, & yet, as we all know, McKenna was dumped & departed in acrimonious circumstances.

There is also the fact of his manager, one Mr Liam Pickering, & his usual modus operandi in having his clients move clubs more often for bigger contracts in order to feather his own nest!

It would not surprise this punter for one, to see Ablett Junior remain unsigned until the end of the season, which - when it comes to Pickering's clients - means that he is almost certainly gone....If he hasn't signed by the beginning of the Football year, then Gold Coast fans would have real cause for concern.

The Cats will likely lose Enright at the end of 2015. Also, Kelly (Pace), Johnson (Foot) & Bartel (Knee) can't have much longer to go. So salary cap issues won't be a major concern if 2 or more of these blokes retire....Indeed, we may even see the scenario where both of Ablett & Dangerfield end up at the Cattery together in 2016!

The silence over this one has the alarm bells ringing in my ears!....Am I the only one hearing them?

Ablett and the GC are haggling about the size of the contract, that's all that's delaying his signature. The bald nut got accustomed to the 2 million per season he earnt over the last 5 years (10 million in total) and it's not surprising he wants something in that vicinity again (1.5 million per annum or thereabouts) regardless of the fact that's he's older and could at any moment sustain a career ending injury leaving the franchise with a huge gap to cover in their cap if that scenario were to eventuate.

GC understandbly is a little reluctant to acquiesce his demands this time around for several reasons. The main reason being that they could afford to throw 10 million (of AFL money belonging to all clubs) at Ablett in the first couple of years of its existence due to the fact the franchise was mostly made up of a motley crew of cheap rookies (between 40 and 50 k) and a handful of overpaid B grade mercenaries. They had all this cap space and AFL money they didn't know what to do with so that 'pocket change' was funneled into poaching Ablett.

Unfortunately for Ablett the GC powers that be can't do that anymore, the rookies are now fully fledged AFL elite players and want their contracts nice and fat as well. Which leaves the GC with less room to accommodate a ridiculous unjustiable contract, something that Ablett had had in the past difficulty grasping namely during his time at Geelong. Back in 2008 he didn't care that Geelong's salary cap was bursting at the seams, he (erroneously) believed Geelong were holding out on him and more or less used that as a justification to leave Geelong.

Ablett and the GC are haggling about the size of the contract, that's all that's delaying his signature. The bald nut got accustomed to the 2 million per season he earnt over the last 5 years (10 million in total) and it's not surprising he wants something in that vicinity again (1.5 million per annum or thereabouts) regardless of the fact that's he's older and could at any moment sustain a career ending injury leaving the franchise with a huge gap to cover in their cap if that scenario were to eventuate.

GC understandbly is a little reluctant to acquiesce his demands this time around for several reasons. The main reason being that they could afford to throw 10 million (of AFL money belonging to all clubs) at Ablett in the first couple of years of its existence due to the fact the franchise was mostly made up of a motley crew of cheap rookies (between 40 and 50 k) and a handful of overpaid B grade mercenaries. They had all this cap space and AFL money they didn't know what to do with so that 'pocket change' was funneled into poaching Ablett.

Unfortunately for Ablett the GC powers that be can't do that anymore, the rookies are now fully fledged AFL elite players and want their contracts nice and fat as well. Which leaves the GC with less room to accommodate a ridiculous unjustiable contract, something that Ablett had had in the past difficulty grasping namely during his time at Geelong. Back in 2008 he didn't care that Geelong's salary cap was bursting at the seams, he (erroneously) believed Geelong were holding out on him and more or less used that as a justification to leave Geelong.
You should forward this to him.
Well put.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality synopsis!

He's still the best player in the comp for mine & will rightly demand the highest fee....His manager is a bloke who looks for the best $$$$ for his client, no matter which club he gets it from, & has shown that friendships & loyalty in the industry mean nothing to him, so long as he gets the big $$$....No doubt the principal reason over the seeming delay.

To imagine that other clubs are not fielding enquiries & debating the merits of a cash-splash on him would be naive.

Like many others in this forum, I thought this one was a simple case of when rather than if.... However, the longer it drags on, then the more it starts to take on the same characteristics & odour of the Buddy saga in 2013 & the Scully & Ablett sagas prior to that!....It's starting to acquire a definite stink about it this one!

The only reason nothing has been raised about it thus far, has been the all consuming focus upon the Essendon saga, combined with the fact that his Mate Dangerfield is also 'hot property' & out of contract; And is likely the current subject of an industry wide bidding war!

I don't think Gadge would be keen to give up the Suns captaincy to play under Selwood's leadership. Wasn't being captain one of the main reasons he gave for going north? He'll stay put on the Gold Coast for that alone, if not for the money.

That's my concern!.....While Ablett remains unsigned, it will continue to be so!

It's nice to know that you speak on behalf of everyone else!

However....2 Facts....He still remains unsigned..... The Cats have the salary cap space to pull such a coup off.

As of today, such a move still remains within the realms of possibility!
Think you'll find that the salary cap space has been ear marked for another younger local boy

The Cats can;t afford to pay him enough to keep his bum father and lazy brother in the life styles that little Gazza has afforded them over the past 5 years.

He's going nowhere.
And NEVER was

If we set aside $$$$$ and strength of sides for the moment ...one of the revisions that needs to happen is perpetual FA..once you have earned it , you are still a FA at the end of you next contract. Thats not the case atm , for Geelong to make a deal with Gold Coast would be very difficult..almost impossible. Just what would they accept for him? What do they need? Ablett will want to lead them to finals and further and unless this year is a backward step , I cant see him moving.

I think Geelong have moved on, I'm not entirely sure they'd want him back especially at an asking price anywhere close to a mill let alone 1.5mill.

The cats is list is taking shape, they have a solid midfield that is deep and a bunch of good key forwards and key backs, they won't sacrifice that for Gaz.

I actually think Gaz is being a selfish little slob if he's haggling over 1.5 or 2mill... C'mon mate, give a little back, take a pay cut and help your club recruit others that can help build the success you went there for. Weird family the Abletts.

1.5m for GAJ is not a " ridiculous unjustiable contract". If Buddy is worth 1m a season then GAJ is worth 1.5m considering he is universally considered the best player in the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back