NAB cup 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Also is Gov a sure thing down back, he plays well as a 3rd tall and intercepts very well but can he actually defend 1v1? I've yet to see him do this.

Gov actually isn't that great of a defender IMO. Sure he can float in 3rd man and take a fantastic grab like nobody's business, but using him as an out and out defender.... he leaks goals from what we saw last year. He's certainly no Mitch Brown by any means.

No point in developing a key forward for 4 years and not giving him a go !

Mackenzie's injury presents an opportunity for other combinations, the least sustainable and certainly the least probable is the one where McInnes comes out looking like an AFL grade forward.

At the moment we've got a depth of defenders, how we choose to play them is the question. In all probability we start the season with McGovern in defense and Lycett, Lamb/ Tunbridge spending more minutes more minutes up forward. Do we persist with McGovern down back when Darling returns and

The X-Factor here has to be Barrass, we need another KPF who can take a contested mark and the player who looks most likely to do it is McGovern. Ideally as Darling gains match fitness you'd want him getting further up the ground and playing a less discrete forward role. If Barrass can show form while Darling gains fitness then that might present an opportunity to move him forward.

For me McInness doesn't come into it, perhaps for a round or two should he prove more viable than Lamb/ Tunbridge or even Powell.

Gov can kick ;)

As can Barrass.

McGovern sets up more goals and saves more goals with his decision making than he leaks with poor defensive body position. If we're using him as a floating defender then Barrass has similar style in terms of floating into contests and long raking kicks from defense. Where Barrass will fall short is pressure at the ball drop and if he's exposed one on one with Walker/ Franklin/ Hawkins. He'll get eaten alive.

Schofield was going to be fringe this year, this gives him an opportunity to step up. Fortunately other than Sydney there arent too many teams with 2 monster forwards. I think Brown can do a reasonable job as our no.1 KPD but he was just becoming adept at locking out small forwards who have long been a problem for us.

For me McInness doesn't come into it, perhaps for a round or two should he prove more viable than Lamb/ Tunbridge or even Powell.
Do you not think McInnes should be given a run in the rest of the nab cup games ?
Tunners has been less than impressive in both games , Kennedy is much more effective leading out of the goal square and lycett is also more effective close to goals .
I like the idea of McInnes because opposition teams will have to put a tall defender on him not a medium/ 3rd tall . McInnes can also clunk a good mark and play as a good foil leading outside 50 creating space behind him ala lynch .

Defensive structure is a weird one now. Confident that brown can do well one vs one gorillas but schoefield gov and barrass are probably more suited to third tall roles. Would go
Brown KPB
Schoey CHB
Barrass third tall
Gov CHF
JJK Deep KPF

Nobody should be at all surprised by this... but Yeo did allright matched up on bigger opponents in defense at times last year, so he could perhaps take the 3rd tall?

190cm so he'd probably be giving away a couple cm's, but better than most overhead. Not that i'd advocate robbing our midfield of it's messiah, just a thought.

Do you not think McInnes should be given a run in the rest of the nab cup games ?
Tunners has been less than impressive in both games , Kennedy is much more effective leading out of the goal square and lycett is also more effective close to goals .
I like the idea of McInnes because opposition teams will have to put a tall defender on him not a medium/ 3rd tall . McInnes can also clunk a good mark and play as a good foil leading outside 50 creating space behind him ala lynch .

Of course he'll get a run in the NAB Cup. I just don't think he'll do enough with them.

The lynch comparison 2010-2012 is a fair one. The question however is how many marks can he take, specifically contested marks. Marks that would help us straighten up. Ideally that's the role i'd want for Darling/ Lamb who have the speed/ endurance combo to get free more often. You then have two stronger contested marks playing closer to goal in Kennedy and McGovern.

Of course he'll get a run in the NAB Cup. I just don't think he'll do enough with them.

The lynch comparison 2010-2012 is a fair one. The question however is how many marks can he take, specifically contested marks. Marks that would help us straighten up. Ideally that's the role i'd want for Darling/ Lamb who have the speed/ endurance combo to get free more often. You then have two stronger contested marks playing closer to goal in Kennedy and McGovern.
My whole premiss for McInnes playing CHF is darling out and McGovern playing defence . If we don't need McGovern back as in bulldogs round 1 then McInness not needed .
I feel structurally until darling is back or we find a suitable 3 rd tall defender our CHF will need to be able to take a good grab leading out of our forward 50 and demand a good tall key defender to drag out with them .

I don't think lamb is physically mature enough to hold down CHF and tunners good enough .

Even darling who was a man child played 4th fiddle behind JK lynch resting ruck in his first year !

I went down to Mandurah to watch the game and was thoroughly impressed with Nelson. He's not afraid to get involved physically and looks composed and highly skilled. We could have a real ripper here. I wouldn't mind seeing him thrown in early.
I agree, out of all the new recruits I think he'll be the first to come in to the side on a permanent basis. They will give the older guys like Butler, Shepp, Xellis, Yeo, Bennell the first crack at defense though in early games i think.

EDIT: I think Lamb will come in first temporarily as part of the Darling cover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went down to Mandurah to watch the game and was thoroughly impressed with Nelson. He's not afraid to get involved physically and looks composed and highly skilled. We could have a real ripper here. I wouldn't mind seeing him thrown in early.
I was also impressed with him in the allstars game so its pleasing to read he had another solid hitout against carlton. Someone posted earlier that he was the most anonymous of our 2014 recruits but on the admittedly small sample size so far he looks the closest to a debut.

Its been a while since our recruiters picked a late gem but they may have one here. I like him. A lot.

My whole premiss for McInnes playing CHF is darling out and McGovern playing defence . If we don't need McGovern back as in bulldogs round 1 then McInness not needed .
I feel structurally until darling is back or we find a suitable 3 rd tall defender our CHF will need to be able to take a good grab leading out of our forward 50 and demand a good tall key defender to drag out with them .

I don't think lamb is physically mature enough to hold down CHF and tunners good enough .

Even darling who was a man child played 4th fiddle behind JK lynch resting ruck in his first year !

Watching the Bulldogs today they're building twin towers up fwd with Boyd and Redpath who are man mountains and Magovern will be a better option than Schofield who would be a option for Crameri or Stringer .

I was also impressed with him in the allstars game so its pleasing to read he had another solid hitout against carlton. Someone posted earlier that he was the most anonymous of our 2014 recruits but on the admittedly small sample size so far he looks the closest to a debut.

Its been a while since our recruiters picked a late gem but they may have one here. I like him. A lot.

Only until everyone watched his highlights package the club dug up.

Several people said after watching that he actually looked the most impressive out of all the draftees. Myself included.

Watching the Bulldogs today they're building twin towers up fwd with Boyd and Redpath who are man mountains and Magovern will be a better option than Schofield who would be a option for Crameri or Stringer .
Why does everyone think that gov is a better suited KPD than schofield ?

Why does everyone think that gov is a better suited KPD than schofield ?

Jezza is just a better player and plays tall and has a bit of mongrel about him to body up against the bigger Fwds .Schofield will always be suited picking up the 3rd tall so he can use his pace and rebound out of defence .

It has all been said regarding big Ezy, an absolute tragedy for him coming off club champion. If i am not wrong, didn't McInnes put in some very good games last year at the Royals, at CHB? He could be just the thing at CHB in Ezy's absence. Certainly, it is worth a try.

For Port:

B: Butler - Brown - Schofield
HB: Yeo - McGovern - Main
C: Lucas - Priddis - Gaff
HF: Tunbridge - Kennedy - Cripps
F: Sinclair - McInnes - Hill

R: Naitanui - Sheed - Shuey
I/C: Adamson - Colledge - Lycett - Duggan - McGinnity - Barrass
S: Cavka - Newman

E: Brophy - Waterman - Sheppard

I suppose that if you look at it comparing other clubs defensive lineups, they are really not the great aswell, we just had the best full back in the AFL, now we come back to the pack and have just a plain line up.

Not many teams have a fullback/CHB duo like EMac and Brown.

We just need Brown to step up and do what EMac has done, if he can do that we are fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back