The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sterling gone? That 50 mill we get for him is going to be spent on some top notch quality maybe's though. Can't wait.

Sterling gone? That 50 mill we get for him is going to be spent on some top notch quality maybe's though. Can't wait.

Not sure if serious but it almost certainly won't - it'll be spent on more speculative types or good ordinary (by the top standards) players.

The thing that people need to remember with Sterling is that he only just turned 20 - we have the brightest young prospect in the country playing for us and we need to do everything we can to hold onto him - if that means paying him a bit more than we would ideally like (within reason), then just do it. Look at him at 20 - imagine how good he could be at 24-25? We aren't exactly strapped for cash, and with Gerrard, Suarez (from last season) and most likely Johnson's wages coming off the books, the money is there.

Not sure if serious but it almost certainly won't - it'll be spent on more speculative types or good ordinary (by the top standards) players.

The thing that people need to remember with Sterling is that he only just turned 20 - we have the brightest young prospect in the country playing for us and we need to do everything we can to hold onto him - if that means paying him a bit more than we would ideally like (within reason), then just do it. Look at him at 20 - imagine how good he could be at 24-25? We aren't exactly strapped for cash, and with Gerrard, Suarez (from last season) and most likely Johnson's wages coming off the books, the money is there.
So if we pay a bit extra now (200'000?) what will his wage be when he is in his prime in 4-5 years time?
It's ******* ridiculous to think he wants what the best in the world are getting before he has even hit his prime.

So if we pay a bit extra now (200'000?) what will his wage be when he is in his prime in 4-5 years time?
It's ******* ridiculous to think he wants what the best in the world are getting before he has even hit his prime.

If his wage is above £200k when he is in his prime then the chances are that we would happily pay it as it will mean that he is one of the best players in Europe.

I'm not sure exactly what he wants now and I doubt it is really £180k - I just hate to think that we could and would lose a player because we weren't happy to pay an extra £20/30k a week than we would like in an ideal world to one of the brightest talents in the game.

You're right. An extra $30K is only 1.5M a year. From the sounds of it he has at least rejected an offer $60K above what we wanted to offer initially. $3M. If he gets it and other players in the first team want similar wages... now you're talking the sort of money that effects our ability to buy new players. We're a business rather than the plaything of fossil fuel industry types so I'm happy for FSG to enforce a structured wage system that highly rewards performance while maintaining a solid base pay.

You're right. An extra $30K is only 1.5M a year. From the sounds of it he has at least rejected an offer $60K above what we wanted to offer initially. $3M. If he gets it and other players in the first team want similar wages... now you're talking the sort of money that effects our ability to buy new players. We're a business rather than the plaything of fossil fuel industry types so I'm happy for FSG to enforce a structured wage system that highly rewards performance while maintaining a solid base pay.

Nobody would advocate giving every player exactly what they want - obviously you can't run the club that way.

But you treat each case on an individual basis, weigh everything up and make a call. In Sterling's case, we're talking about one of the brightest prospects in football, who could, if he continues to develop towards his full potential, become one of the best players in Europe, if not the world - the sort of player for which you do (IMO) make an exception.

Here's why the stories over the last few days are all bollocks.

@RorySmithTimes:
Sunday: Mirror say #afc want Sterling.
Monday: Metro say Mirror says #afc want Sterling.
Tuesday: Mirror say Metro says #afc want Sterling.

Do yourselves a favour and ignore the nonsense from the tabloids, you'll drive yourselves mad. John Cross is not a reliable source, this is the guy who was adamant that Suarez was signing for Arsenal for £40m and there was nothing we could do about it. He's a massive Arsenal fan and spends the majority of his time cheerleading for the club.

The only journos worth listening to are:
Tony Barrett
James Pearce
Rory Smith
Chris Bascombe
Dominic King
..and a handful of others with actual contacts at the club.

Speaking of which, Barrett has finally chimed in. We've offered a 5 year contract with a £100k/week basic wage, Sterling's camp want parity with Sturridge at £140k/week basic wage. As a compromise could not be reached, both parties have agreed that a cooling-off period was necessary. Hardly a disaster, it doesn't mean that he wants to leave or that we want to sell, it's a difference of valuations but not an insurmountable one.

Last edited:

Every club operates as a business. Playthings of fossil fuel types have budgets just like every other club. And we have passed on players (both transfers and contract extensions) on many occasions because they are asking more than what we value the player.

If you were truly sorry you would stop doing it and go away :rolleyes:

Nah, you're alright. Always happy to join in a football discussion. Maybe you guys could talk about the football again, and not me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's why the stories over the last few days are all bollocks.

@RorySmithTimes:
Sunday: Mirror say #afc want Sterling.
Monday: Metro say Mirror says #afc want Sterling.
Tuesday: Mirror say Metro says #afc want Sterling.

Do yourselves a favour and ignore the nonsense from the tabloids, you'll drive yourselves mad. John Cross is not a reliable source, this is the guy who was adamant that Suarez was signing for Arsenal for £40m and there was nothing we could do about it. He's a massive Arsenal fan and spends the majority of his time cheerleading for the club.

The only journos worth listening to are:
Tony Barrett
James Pearce
Rory Smith
Chris Bascombe
Dominic King
..and a handful of others with actual contacts at the club.

Speaking of which, Barrett has finally chimed in. We've offered a 5 year contract with a £100k/week basic wage, Sterling's camp want parity with Sturridge at £140k/week basic wage. As a compromise could not be reached, both parties have agreed that a cooling-off period was necessary. Hardly a disaster, it doesn't mean that he wants to leave or that we want to sell, it's a difference of valuations but not an insurmountable one.
Yeah im really not too worried. He is under contract until 2017 so it's not something we need to get sorted right now. A new contract will be thrashed out in the summer and I dare say it will be somewhere around 120k a week.

Contracts are funny things though. Sturridge is reportedly on 140. Would you say based on this season that Sterling should be on 20k less a week. Coutinho is on 70. If Sterling signs a new contract on 120k do you think he is a 50k a week better player than Coutinho?

It's a crazy world.

But I know Rodgers and FSG rate Sterling obviously very highly. There are some players at the club IMO that we will bend a little to make sure they stay. That select group I think are Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson, Sturridge and Can.

You can lose a Skrtel, an Enrique, a Joe Allen, even blokes like Lallana, Moreno, Mignolet, Lucas and to a lesser extent even Sakho. Guys like that you can lose and find players to then replace what they do on the pitch to a reasonable level.

It's guys like Sterling you cant just go and replace. Coutinho is an outstanding talent. The same can be said of Sturridge (fitness allowing) and of course Emre Can. You pay those blokes because they are ridiculously hard to replace.

I think Sterling and Henderson will get bumper deals this summer and their is no reason why they wont. Gerrard and Johnson's wages alone coming off the books will clear a path. I think Balo and Borini's wages will come off too. What is Balotelli on? Ive heard it's quite ridiculous, certainly compared to his output on the field.

Oh and Ibe too will get a new contract in the summer to mirror the fact he will now be a first team regular next season for sure.

How are you blokes feeling about Saturday's game ? should be a very interesting one IMO
We will lose. We're not in good form. Arsenal are in cracking form. We havent won at Arsenal I think in 15 years. Or maybe once in 15 years or something like that. I seem to remember a bizarre Suarez goal that ricocheted off a defender and looped over the GK to give us a win against Arsenal away from home? Maybe im imagining that.

Anyways, will be tough. Would rejoice in a point. Probably will get nothing.

Top four depends on it. We win and we're still an outside chance to finish fourth given United have to play City and Chelsea back to back. A point and it's all but over. No points and it's dead and buried.

We will lose. We're not in good form. Arsenal are in cracking form. We havent won at Arsenal I think in 15 years. Or maybe once in 15 years or something like that. I seem to remember a bizarre Suarez goal that ricocheted off a defender and looped over the GK to give us a win against Arsenal away from home? Maybe im imagining that.

Anyways, will be tough. Would rejoice in a point. Probably will get nothing.

Top four depends on it. We win and we're still an outside chance to finish fourth given United have to play City and Chelsea back to back. A point and it's all but over. No points and it's dead and buried.

Yeah you beat us at home early 2011/2012 season and before that it was in like 2000 with a Titi Camera goal in a shock win at Highbury. Huge game for top 4 and despite you not winning many we seem to draw a fair bit when we lock horns at the Emirates.

Yeah you beat us at home early 2011/2012 season and before that it was in like 2000 with a Titi Camera goal in a shock win at Highbury. Huge game for top 4 and despite you not winning many we seem to draw a fair bit when we lock horns at the Emirates.
Yeah we have a shocking record. We can managed draws here and there but we very rarely win. So im not expecting much.

Im still annoyed at last week. I was expecting to beat United and right now we would be a point clear of them heading into this game. Then I was fine with a point even if United beat Villa and went back past us, I would be happy with our position knowing United then had City and Chelsea back to back.

But last week blew all that up. Now we desperately need all three points against a team and in a place where we rarely get that. s**t creek. No paddle.

So you're relying on United to lose to all of Arsenal, City and Chelsea.

They'll get 4-6 points from that I think. It's silly to think they'll lose all considering two of those are at home.

It's over if we can't beat Arsenal.

Sorry for discussing the issue.
The issue has been discussed. Many times. You show one-eyed bias in support of your club. Anyone without blinkers on can see that City, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco, etc have benefited hugely from benefactors who want to be a part of football ("play thing"), rather than want to make a decent $ return on their investment ("business"). You'd be welcome to discuss the issue if you could get past your bias, but you have shown little ability to do so.
So you're relying on United to lose to all of Arsenal, City and Chelsea.
Man U aren't that good yet. I could see them losing all of those. The City game being the biggest X factor as they are stumbling at the moment.

Last edited:
With Skrtel out is there a chance Rodgers plays Lucas and/or reverts to a back 4? Wouldn't want to leave too much space for Cazorla et al in front of a weakened defence.
I'm sure he'd love to put faith in Lovren and stick with the system, but given Migs and Lovren don't seem to get along that well, maybe he'll put Johnson left and Sakho in the centre. Depending on how the match progresses I think he could switch to 4 at the back, but with attacking players to stay gung-ho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back