Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I wrong in saying a mid week highlights video was often deployed before a debut last year?
'Twas. but not always.

Trent's Time?

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-04-20/trents-time

No Daniel Wells, no Nick Dal Santo and eventually no Jack Ziebell for North Melbourne’s match against Port Adelaide last Saturday night; Trent Dumont could have been forgiven for letting his mind wander to thoughts of a potential senior debut.

Instead, his focus was solely on putting a good performance the following day in the VFL.

RELATED: Trent Dumont player profile

“That’s the first I’d thought about it actually,” Dumont confessed when quizzed on the topic following North Ballarat’s victory over Collingwood.

“I was just working on my game and doing what I had to do.”

Dumont filled up the stat sheet at Eureka Stadium, notching 25 disposals, 11 tackles and 5 clearances. The majority of his impact came in the second and fourth quarters.

“I was still trying to work to do the same things (in each quarter) but it was just the way the game worked out,” Dumont told NMFC.com.au.

“I was just trying to play my role and in the second and fourth and I probably put myself in a position where I could influence the ball a little bit more, based on what had happened in the first and third.”

While Dumont prefers to let his actions do the talking rather than talk up a potential AFL appearance, he admits the Roosters’ forward line setup could help his prospects.

RELATED: North Ballarat Round 1 report card

With Aaron Black, Braydon Preuss and Orren Stephenson (when not in the ruck) often close to goal for the Roosters, there are three tall forwards – the same setup North has used almost exclusively for the last couple of years.

Dumont said the presence of some key big men in attack gives the midfield more options after winning the ball.

“You feel a lot more comfortable kicking long to a contest.

“Especially against a side like Collingwood that had (Ben) Reid, (Jono) Marsh, (Darcy) Moore, you need a contest from your talls against those guys because they’re very good at peeling off and intercepting.

“If you can just create a contest that changes so much.”

On field it was an odd dynamic between North Ballarat and Collingwood.

The two sides met the week prior to Round 1 in their last pre-season encounter, and the learning experience proved incredibly valuable to the Roosters.

It was almost a 10-goal turnaround between the games, with North Ballarat rebounding from a 26-point loss to win by 35 in the season-opener.

“We understood how Collingwood wanted to play and last week we got a rude awakening in the second half of how they can play,” Dumont said.

“We knew if we could tighten up on their outlets and the way they wanted to move the ball from the backline with multiple switches, then we’d be able to make it more contested and that would be our best way of winning.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should play this week and good luck to him.

Was probably unlucky not to get an opportunity last year so for mine deserves a chance.

Would rather he gets a game in the wet, in a VFL type set up of Geelong against a reasonably poor inside brigade.

Let him go head to head with Selwood.

He is strong, he can tackle, his positioning and cleanliness is really good... would be the like playing 20 games experience wise and wonderful preparation for the season ahead.

We must put the grinder back together.

Would rather he gets a game in the wet, in a VFL type set up of Geelong against a reasonably poor inside brigade.

Let him go head to head with Selwood.

He is strong, he can tackle, his positioning and cleanliness is really good... would be the like playing 20 games experience wise and wonderful preparation for the season ahead.

We must put the grinder back together.

Grinder?

At the moment we have the makings of a patisserie in the midfield.

Grinder?

At the moment we have the makings of a patisserie in the midfield.

We resemble a nespresso milk frother at the moment.

Any suggestion that Dal, basti or Wells can fill the 4th frothing position is moronic.

Dumont should be rotated with Wood, Turner and possibly Naha through this position.

His only caveat (tm tpa/fg) is pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back