Retired 38. Ciarán Byrne - Officially Retires as at 15th October

Remove this Banner Ad

Exciting stuff Harks :)

I appreciate that this may be a very premature call but having watched Sheehan and Byrne 9 months ago and watching what they're doing now is just............unbelievable to me, at least.

The guys couldn't kick 9 months ago and one is playing senior football and one on the cusp.......................explain that to me.

Got to give a lot of credit to the two boys themselves. Lots of hardwork has gone into their rapid development.

And of course to the recruiters/development coaches.

Good signs.

Fingers crossed we can see similar development from Russell.

Got to give a lot of credit to the two boys themselves. Lots of hardwork has gone into their rapid development.

And of course to the recruiters/development coaches.

Good signs.

Fingers crossed we can see similar development from Russell.

Sorry, but who is Russell? No 'Russell' on the senior or rookie list.

Sorry, but who is Russell? No 'Russell' on the senior or rookie list.
A category b rookie we will sign this year. He was a runner but has come back to footy. Played TAC cup for Geelong falcons in 2009 I think. Trained with st Kilda back then too.

A category b rookie we will sign this year. He was a runner but has come back to footy. Played TAC cup for Geelong falcons in 2009 I think. Trained with st Kilda back then too.
Thanks. I don't know anything about the 'b' category rookies and didn't know the team could/would decide that before the end of the season. Hope he's got lots of potential.

Thanks. I don't know anything about the 'b' category rookies and didn't know the team could/would decide that before the end of the season. Hope he's got lots of potential.
Cat b rookies are for international players and players who haven't played football for 4 years. Byrne is a cat b rookie.

Cat b rookies are for international players and players who haven't played football for 4 years. Byrne is a cat b rookie.
Thanks again! After being out of footy for so long, I'd be really interested to know what we saw in him to want to take him on as a rookie.

Thanks again! After being out of footy for so long, I'd be really interested to know what we saw in him to want to take him on as a rookie.
It's kind of like a Blicavs scenario at Geelong. It's a free hit and doesn't take up a list spot so not costly if it doesn't work out. There's been some good reports about him on the Carlton board in various threads.

It's kind of like a Blicavs scenario at Geelong. It's a free hit and doesn't take up a list spot so not costly if it doesn't work out. There's been some good reports about him on the Carlton board in various threads.
Fingers crossed that he makes the grade.

Byrne’s journey into the Blue beyond

In reflecting on his all-too-brief tenure at Carlton, Byrne acknowledges the game’s physical demands as the greatest of demands. As he said: “Tackling is probably the hardest area of the game I’ve had to adapt to” and he’s put on weight to help his cause.

And yet, the most fundamental of skills – kicking - has never posed a problem for Byrne – the legacy of a precious piece of pigskin that might one day find its way into this club’s museum. “I’ve found the oval ball easy enough to adapt to because I’ve slept with a footy since I was 16 . . . and that was because I knew Carlton was interested,” Byrne said. “When I found that out I got my cousins from Australia to send over a footy.
It probably wasn’t the correct size, but I still slept with it and I did everything I could to improve my kicking with it.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pinpoint accuracy on both sides of his body. Very impressive. Also has a good turn of speed which our team is sorely lacking. Will have growing pains but give him a run. Is more ready than Clem for example, and currently offers us more than a Graham type as we already have a midfield full of his kind. Speed please!

Have seen him twice now.

First time was the NAB Cup game and while he cocked it up a few times his run and agility was seriously eye catching.

Second time was this weekend past vs Ess and he again stood out for run and agility but this time also for skill and nous.

I am having a very hard time trying to not get too carried away about this kid, because in my view, given his young age and current display/form, and the fact he ticks all the athletic boxes you want ticked, I think we have a gun on our hands here folks.

The good news with Casey is that he can run.

He's a very good athlete and one that can go all day long.

HARKER, you have been singing Casey's praise for a couple of seasons now. Well spotted.
Where would you suggest his best position is in our team lineup?

HARKER, you have been singing Casey's praise for a couple of seasons now. Well spotted.
Where would you suggest his best position is in our team lineup?

I sang the praises of Bootsma through his first pre-season, also...........:oops:

Best position? I don't know.
He was a forward in Ireland and started forward with the NB's but as we all know.......it's a death warrant down there.........or at least used to be.

I feel that his kicking may determine where he may just end up
Casey has a real good leap on him, is a quality athlete and can be a very slippery customer.
Would love to see him around the forward line but who knows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back