MRP / Trib. Moore on report - intentional umpire contact

Remove this Banner Ad

As for Port, the SANFL relies on our supporters to get up crowd numbers. Any games away from Alberton whilst he's suspended the club should tell people to skip. Hurting them in the hip pocket is all those campaigners seem to understand.

laughable.

Harsh penalty, but really stupid thing to do.

As an adult, you are in situations where bodily contact is acceptable, and where it is absolutely not. You would not go and slap a policeman on the back.

He knew the rules - as did the other Port players who saw it happen and made sure he left the scene quickly.

Appeal on the ground of an unjust, extreme penalty - but really, it is one of the most basic rules that there is.

and this decision is why I won't put another cent of my money to the SNAFL clowns.

F*** them all and let the SNAFL rot in hell.

yes we all know you can't touch an umpire, but seriously c'mon. The big bad Port Adelaide syndrome strikes again.
Stuff the campaigners.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That was too harsh. If the umpire says the contact was so minor he doesn't even remember it, if the player says there was no push and is not challenged about that, then 3 games is way off the mark.

Sounds very much like the club will appeal and so they should.

if i read the words...'harsh penalty but stupid thing to do' or similar again im going to go push an umpire myself. yeah we get it, it was silly, its been said.

Harsh penalties to set an example for players in lower leagues yea pfft what a load of twaddle

Yeah the rule exists for a reason. So that people don't try to physically intimidate an umpire

The sheer fact that there is clear vision that it had no force , Moore states it had no force , and the umpire said it had no force should mean that it was irrelevant contact and should be treated as a slap in the wrist.

1 week ban and fine.

Not sure if these muppets realise 3 weeks is 1/5th the afl season. use some common sense.

Taken from the Advertiser

Fleer came to Moore’s defence at the hearing, saying the contact was “something totally minor” and he had not been aware of it at the time.

“I didn’t have any idea of it until someone actually mentioned it to me after the game,’’ Fleer said.

Now I know he shouldn't of touched the ump and he should receive some punishment but 3 weeks for something totally minor that the ump wasn't even aware of at the time?!
FFS!
Should of been 1 week that is it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An appeal is reasonable based on the umpire's own feedback which sounds like it was as friendly to Moore as could possibly be expected. Calling for Moore to get off is unreasonable. 2 weeks is probably the minimum as there has to be no room for misunderstandings in the matter of deliberate contact.

No toucha da reffa.

Have a look at the EPL. Players there do not get suspended for their contact with an umpire and I have yet to see this lead to total loss of respect and all-out brawls with umpires. So why are ours so sacrosant? Because they know they are a small part of the game and want to build themselves up into objects of respect, and are trying to do it by bully tactics.

Even though it has nothing to do with this They do actually man utds angel Di maria got a straight red for touching an ump on the back after he fouled.

I think 2 weeks is more than enough yes they need to show that umps r protected and fair enough but 3 weeks is as u can see in the afl the same as hooking someone in the head and splitting them open.

I'm all he's still a very silly boy I thought only captains were allowed to talk to the umps not even the coach can

Even though it has nothing to do with this They do actually man utds angel Di maria got a straight red for touching an ump on the back after he fouled.

I think 2 weeks is more than enough yes they need to show that umps r protected and fair enough but 3 weeks is as u can see in the afl the same as hooking someone in the head and splitting them open.

I'm all he's still a very silly boy I thought only captains were allowed to talk to the umps not even the coach can

Semantics, but Di Maria actually got 2 yellows in the one play. First he got one for diving, then argued about it and shoved the ref which got his second yellow (and hence, a red).

Firstly any comparison to what has happened in previous AFL incidents involving umpires is not the most dependable because they've been party poopers themselves. I mean, remember the years not so long ago when umpires backing into players incurred player suspensions? Clearly the problem was that the penalties did not fit the infringements, if any. From observation the penalty Moore has received does not fit the infringement, it is unreasonable and unfitting. Historically umpires do not come to a player's aid in these situations but this umpire has, says it all really. Whether it is dumb or silly or a demonstration as such on the part of Moore doesn't matter, the real question is was it serious(?) and if not highlighted would it had encouraged players in lower grades to emulate it, and for me I think it is a big fat no.

Last edited:
I don't really get that any contact with an umpire should be dealt with a suspension, surely it has to case by case. This wasn't a Greg Williams like push. In this instance, the umpire couldn't even remember it and actually lept to the defence of Moore and yet he still gets 3 games. WTF?? But on the other hand it's perfectly fine for an umpire to touch a player.

If it was an opposition player most of us would be saying perhaps one week too many but expected.
Unfortunate in one way, silly in another but the rule needs to be there and Moore made a mistake that he will learn from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back