Autopsy Round 4: Richmond V Melbourne @ MCG - Friday 7:50pm, 24/04/15

Select your top 5 Shane Edwards for the game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

its not hardwick geeez.
if players cant execute a game plan then we are screwd.
the game plan works, when it clicks we look good. but our fumbling bumbling players cant execute a simple handball, shepard make a lead or even kick goals from 25 in front.
its all mental they have the skills but stumble on the big stage
players are more worried about themselves than the team.
You are very right it's the player's not him but if the player's can't play the so called gameplan shouldn't you have and alternative just saying.

Just wanted to say you've got a lot of great supporters at this club.

I'm sure it was a frustrating night but the Richmond strangers I sat near were having a laugh and friendly banter with me and a couple of other blokes around the place and I only see that when we play you guys.

Even on bigfooty there are a lot of well wishes from a lot of your supporters even though you probably feel rather shitty. After GWS beat us the last thing I wanted to do was point out how great their midfield was at tearing us apart in the second half. :p

You are a classy bunch and it's a group of fans like you that really add to our great game.

:thumbsu:

Cant believe how much I just don't care. Not sure if its age and Im over it, but I just don't give a toss.

I am genuinely the same. A couple of years ago a loss like this would have me filthy for a few days, last night I was laughing in the last quarter.
Losing to Carlton when they virtually finished 9th and then going on a road trip the next year to watch the game be over in 5 minutes and Port absolutely rape us were the two biggest reasons I reckon.

I'm so happy im back playing my own footy again this year.

I am genuinely the same. A couple of years ago a loss like this would have me filthy for a few days, last night I was laughing in the last quarter.
Losing to Carlton when they virtually finished 9th and then going on a road trip the next year to watch the game be over in 5 minutes and Port absolutely rape us were the two biggest reasons I reckon.

Mate, how I envy you. I was SOOOOOO close to pulling on the boots again this year. Left it a bit late and most leagues have already started :(

Same problem, same result.

Tonight we had 57 Inside 50's. For a grand total of 6 goals. 10% conversion - which is amazingly bad.
Aha!! you say - if only we had kicked straight! Sorry, but our "Scoring to I50's" was only 33% - also terrible.

The wet weather in the second half just made our obvious problem more obvious. When the ball hits the deck in the forward zone we are total crap.
We have no-one who can take advantage of this (in dry or wet weather).

Against the Dogs we scored a total of 61 points. Tonight against Dees, a massive 51 points.
Holy crap - these aren't even close to being the top defences in the comp.
This is the nub of it.... Has been for 3-4 years.
Everyone likes to talk about sticking to our structures and systems but someone needs to recognise that at the first sign of opposition pressure, these structures and systems don't hold up.

Dimma reckons 'our best is good enough to beat anyone'.... Well IMO only when the other guys are not at their best.

OK, watched the game from Canberra so my impressions are only two dimensional. That said, I thought we were in trouble very early when Rance was beaten in his first couple of contests. For all their faults, taking Newman and Chaplin out of the back six with no Lids meant that Rance had to play a different game and he didn't appear to be comfortable.

Then came the skill errors. Griffith's set shot miss, which should have been a free throw gimme in basketball, wasn't too costly at that stage. However, when Lloyd turned the ball over a couple of times and Gordon displayed poor finishing skills, it all started to unravel. Then the serious injury to our first gamer and Griffith's crash into the fence compounded the problems. The fact that Morris kept finding the grass, gifting Melbourne a simple goal, and spent the rest of his time running to no purpose like a demented sheepdog, pretty well closed us off. I thought Cotch, Sheds and Jack then tried to do too much and their games (with the exception of Sheds) fell away. But the worst of it was the lack of pressure from the mids and forwards and our capitulation when Melbourne maintained theirs.

We have a small core of talented players but far too many second tier ones. For that, we can only thank the selection committee and look to their judgements over the past three or four years. And those second tier players might have been better if we had spent time developing their skills. You can teach better techniques which will help decision making. And finally, and whether this is a function of the game plan, we place less importance on sustained physical pressure than the better sides in the competition. Every opposing coach will subject us to relentless tackling and gut running because they know we only have a limited number of players who can cope with it. When the breaches occur, which they seem to do with depressing frequency on the turnovers, teams will score.

So it's back to the drawing board for the entire club. We can't expect the people whose decisions got us to this point to suddenly come up with better ones. Ideally it would be good if we could have some external input to the performance review process so that the thinking process of coaches and players get more objectively challenged. It is early in the season but I can't see this group advancing any further than our midpoint finish of the last couple of years. At least we have a better base to build on than the one we had when Dimma first arrived.

Though disappointed with the result it's not unexpected, we put out a side with 1494 games experience, Melbourne had 1818
After getting through the pre season with a relative healthy list, it looks like the devil has come and waved the injury stick around punt road.
I said it last year but long term injuries kill a club, more so when you get them all at the same time and then when you cop the 1-2 game injuries on top of that you are not going to win many games.
The first half last night was ok but it just looked like we ran out of legs.

Oh, one other thing....
So obvious at one point that Nathan Jones decided to up the ante and start bullying our mids... Roughing them up... Sure he gave Arnott a cheap free kick but it fired his boys up and all we could do was rush in with some fake tough retaliation.
Great leadership by Jones to drag his teams effort to the next level.
Our leaders on the other hand....

its not hardwick geeez.
if players cant execute a game plan then we are screwd.
the game plan works, when it clicks we look good. but our fumbling bumbling players cant execute a simple handball, shepard make a lead or even kick goals from 25 in front.
its all mental they have the skills but stumble on the big stage
players are more worried about themselves than the team.
It is Hardwick though. Anyone can formulate a game plan. It's a coach who can get a group of players to play it and more importantly play for each other. Hardwick's number one mantra when he took over was the jumper will never hit the floor. He said himself it was his job to install a team first, one in all in attitude. That above all else the team would be a team that put in 100% every week.

Hardwick is into his 6th season and the team is still a bunch of soft crumble under pressure no grit no determination soft utensils with no leadership. That is on Hardwick. Hardwick can put all the plans he wants down on a bit of paper and show the players a million times on a whiteboard. But if he can't get the the team to play for the jumper, then he is not a coaches a-hole.

Again it's his 6th season and not only has he not delivered on his number one mantra, he gets smacked on game day by much better tactical coaches. Face it, he is not a a good developer of players (he had good development coaches as assistants for a time) and he sure as s**t is not a tactical game day coach.

Last edited:
I used to not care as much after a loss coz we were a young side and just starting to rebuild. Next morning now had time to sleep and I'm still fuming. It's a joke we are a joke. What Willis take to get this soft**** hardwick sacked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After rd 2 I was prepared to write it off as a bad day. Last night showed it was not a bad day but a pattern. I hate to say this but I think Dimma is not the man to take us forward. The players are soft and constantly fumbling dropping simple marks either not executing the gameplan or the gameplan sucks. Either way that is damning for the coach. The next four weeks will be telling, the cats the Roos, the pies and the power is a tough month and at least we will have a completely clear picture of where we sit at the end of it.

Sent from my brain using ESP.

Took a friend to a psychiatrist on thur. Anyway as he was finishing up he turned to me as i was wearing my tigers top and said i follow them also.
He then goes on to say why do they keep buying recycled player's from other club's that won't take the club anywhere.
I replied dr would you mind if i book in the richmond recruiter's, coaches, and hierarchy for a check up you might get an answer!

It would be easy to join the party and lay the blame solely at the feet of Hardwick, but I'm not going to. We went into the side with younger and less experienced side than the Dees last night and while it would be easy to use that as an excuse, I'm not going to do that either. The blame for me lays fairly and squarely on the players. They are the ones who showed no heart, no determination, no willingness for the contest & no hunger for the fight.

Martin, Ellis, Grigg, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Houli, Rance, Gordon, Griffiths, Lloyd, Hunt, McIntosh, McDonough, Morris & Arnott. Everyone of these players lost their head to head battles last night IMO. Batchelor, Astbury, Maric Miles & Vlastuin broke even and only Edwards could be considered as having won his match up, Drummond gets excused because of the injury he suffered, but the example of him going back with the flight to make that contest should be shown time and again in the review. I don't care who is coaching you won't win many, if any, games when this is happening.

Last night the Demons side was the ones who were willing to pay the price when it was required, they were the ones who put their heads over the ball in the big contests and come away with the victory. They were the ones who worked as a team and followed instructions given to them to ensure they got the 4 points.

Too many of our players are front running flat track bullies, who look great when when things are going our way and look like s**t when they are asked to do the hard yards to turn things around when things aren't going our way. For mine Hardwick has a very important decision to make if he wants to turn things around. That decision is to bite the bullet and put a line through some of those soft front running squibs and turn to those who are willing to do the hard yards, who are willing to put their heads over the ball and fight to win that contest that needs to be won.

Make no mistake, Hardwick is on thin ice, he can't have another 3-10 start to the season and rely on a streak of wins to surge late. The next 6 weeks now become make or break as far as Hardwick coaching tenure is concerned. Geelong North Collingwood Port Essendon & Fremantle await over that 6 week stretch. Play like we did last night and we'll be 2-8 at the half way point of the year and regardless of the last 2 years of finals appearances, some serious questions will need to be asked about whether Hardwick can take us further than he has.

Im not sure its hardwicks fault the team are soft and dont turn up to play 100% every week (you can almost never accuse a roos or lyon side of not showing up) its their attitude look at the lack of training last year. The talent is there you dont win 9 in a row with no talent. The hard work, dedication and mental resolve to bring that level of performance week on week out. Players need a long hard look at themselves and need to pull their fingers out unless they want another wasted season. You think being considered medicore underachievers in the football world would drive you to your best

Morris was elevated to the Leadership group. What example is he setting by continually giving away frees and gifting goals to the opposition ? If you are going to do that, there needs to be some sort of positive to balance out his performances - but there's nothing. what he does bring to the game, is toughness. But everyone around him is weak.

I just watched the presser and Dimma sounds a lot like Malthouse or Sheedy. Delusional. We will not beat top sides with him at the helm. I bet we train the house down this week and there will be no changes (other than forced). First he dismisses injuries and then is able to remember that we have 12 injuries. Well here's the next challenge for dimma - we have not beaten Geelong in a long time.

I have been thinking about this a lot and I don't like to blame the coach BUT...

It is the coaches job to make sure the players you have play at 100% commitment all the time.

It is the coaches job to make sure the players get into the right positions when defending or attacking.

If the players are playing soft, insipid football when the does the coach think maybe I'm not getting my message across.
Maybe I have lost the players if they won't follow simple instructions.

We have had a solid core of players playing for 3-4 years now and have matured together yet can't improve.

Melbourne got Paul Roos in 2 years ago bought in a few mature players but you wouldn't call them stars, and they fly past us looking well drilled with decent structures.

Fremantle was an average team that even we used to beat more often than not, Ross Lyon comes in and turns them into a grand finalists after 2-3 years.

If the coach can't get the players to do what he wants them to do, its not working and time for a change.

All I see out of the current Richmond side is a whole bunch of blokes playing for themselves not the team.
Tell me how many times you have seen our players block or Shepard for each other or have a go at each other for making a stupid decision.

We are a bunch individuals not a team.

Morris was elevated to the Leadership group. What example is he setting by continually giving away frees and gifting goals to the opposition ? If you are going to do that, there needs to be some sort of positive to balance out his performances - but there's nothing. what he does bring to the game, is toughness. But everyone around him is weak.

I just watched the presser and Dimma sounds a lot like Malthouse or Sheedy. Delusional. We will not beat top sides with him at the helm. I bet we train the house down this week and there will be no changes (other than forced). First he dismisses injuries and then is able to remember that we have 12 injuries. Well here's the next challenge for dimma - we have not beaten Geelong in a long time.
It's ming boggling he was elevated to leadership group. He might b a good leader but the bloke can't play the ******* game

Really can't believe we didn't go for Garlett in the off season.

Tore us a new one tonight.

Despite having almost 40% more forward entries for a fair chunk of the game you'd think we'd have 2 crumbing forwards doing the job
Garlett and another small would have capitalized on these entries...can't expect the 2 pronged tall forward structure to do the job...and Lloyd isn't a 'small crumbling forward and neither is Morris

Other teams have 2 small crumbling forwards...we really don't have any...King went a year ago practically and Nahas was given the arse...

Last edited:
Just wanted to say you've got a lot of great supporters at this club.

I'm sure it was a frustrating night but the Richmond strangers I sat near were having a laugh and friendly banter with me and a couple of other blokes around the place and I only see that when we play you guys.

Even on bigfooty there are a lot of well wishes from a lot of your supporters even though you probably feel rather shitty. After GWS beat us the last thing I wanted to do was point out how great their midfield was at tearing us apart in the second half. :p

You are a classy bunch and it's a group of fans like you that really add to our great game.

:thumbsu:

You guys are going okay.

We lost to a team on the up and going in the right direction.

It was not a shocking loss by us IMO.

I do not think the wet suits a lot of our players.

You guys earned the win, fair enough! Congrats

On the game. A putrid performance that clearly showed our lack of talent. Melbourne have or will go past us. Tyson, Jones, Vince. Brayshaw. Viney. Petracca is better and far harder than our midfield. Unfortunately we will need to prioritise drafting, trading, recruiting over making up the numbers in the finals.

Why have we not been doing that for the last 6 years+?:eek:

Who thought we were not still building?

Seriously? like WTF...:confused:o_O

We are going in the right direction but we still have a young developing team that is not the finished product yet!!

Massive rant to follow...

I am usually like how you are but last night has me furious. I dreamt about it all night. I could see Houli running free with the ball late in the last quarter heading for the boundary line and then kicking it out on the full into the crowd as if that was the game plan.
At least these 20 something year olds on our list can shake hands with the other team after the game, slap eachothers asses in the shower and think about how many investment properties they will get to own from being paid so well whereas I'd like my money back for having to sit through what they put on.

Really why should I care so much about a pack of young adults living the high life when the results mean nothing to them?

I am a bit baffled by my impassioned rage at it all but I think it has something to do with some notion of injustice of a being a supporter consigned to a team that cannot win. Last night was like an epiphany in some weird way. It was like seeing that nothing will change. They will win more games this year and the next bit they will never win anything substantial and every team will believe they are chance against the black and yellow. It disgusts me that no team could ever fear Richmond. How could they? Why should they? Richmond never take the next bloody step! Richmond are like the parallel rehab bars for other teams learning to walk again. They just never stand up and own teams. They just can't do it.

Melbourne were there to be destroyed last night. Who didn't see their second quarter? Laughable with Benny hill music backing up their antics. That's where Richmond should have absolutely taken bloody control and wired the four points into their own account. How could they not stand over and put down such a team showing such awful skill? How?

The only teams we have beaten are in such dire straits that it says far more about them than it does about the any real strength the Tigers have. We are just easily unnerved and are easily dominated and controlled and we give every team a chance at having a ride.

Forget all the bloody bullsh** about it being Anzac day or the dream time or about poor Tommy haffey Richmond cannot get it done and I can't stand them. I wanted to hurl my scarf and jumper off the top deck last night in the 3rd quarter. It was a scripted performance from the opening bounce of the match and I knew they were going to lose right from the start. As soon as Melbourne hit the front I told my mate the game is done. It was so predictable. Pi** off Richmond. You are a total pack of wannabe pretenders still struggling with the same hurdles. You are the kid who is going on 17 still stuck in year 7. Enjoy the present you yourselves have created and the future it will inevitably bring. If you dare, get some effing heart and never fail this level of challenge again until this list is spent and the rebuilding phase takes over.

Rant done for now.

Last edited:
Back