Roast Review Rnd 8: Melbourne 103 dft Western Bulldogs 64

Remove this Banner Ad

So then why is Goodes getting PRICELESS AFL experience at the highest level instead of a fully fit Macrae? If Jongy is our future why is he playing injured and taking away precious AFL experience from a fully fit Macrae, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Webb or Grant?
Goodes broke his arm for the club today. How about we don't criticise those who put their body on the line and start criticising those who want to play bruise free football?

Thanks.

Completely lost our structures today, Melbourne retained theirs all day and forced us wide / backwards / everywhere except forward. There weren't many times we attacked through the center and this was mainly because we were too conservative, didn't work hard enough, and Melbourne didn't allow us.

There were a few big holes exposed today which need addressing over the next couple of years.

Worst on ground for me was Jong. Just didnt show the effort and didn't read the play or push back hard enough.

Last edited:
AFL experience isn't always priceless. Our team is young as * and Goodes can buffer that. Yeah he's played poorly and would be dropped(regardless of arm) but I can understand why they picked him. He also dominates VFL so it's not like he does nothing and gets picked.

Look it hasn't worked and now we know that.

Rubbish , Macrae has been more than reasonable all year . The selectors were starting to believe all the hype and thought it dosnt matter who theyut on the park.
Macrae playing twos is a disgrace.
No way Jong should have played this week , he needs to go back and find form.
Rubbish team put on the park this week.
Rubbish, Macrae has not been great the last few weeks and just average most of the year.

Yeah nah I'm not happy at all with that. That was just a ******* piss weak pathetic effort. I love what we've done so far this year and I hate how everyone overreacts after a lose but this is different. I can't cop that. No more ******* around with the team ffs. Cordy is not a first ruck. Goodes is not an AFL footballer. Dale yeah he's been okay but he's not ready. The team is just extremely unbalanced. How Macrae is not in this side just blows my mind. * Bev was killing it and you all know I'm probably the most optimistic bloke on this forum but * me you're getting a bit ahead of yourself, go back to basics and just playing the best team every week. ******* hell.

Goodes broke his arm for the club today. How about we don't criticise those who put their body on the line and start criticising those who want to play bruise free football?

Thanks.

Wow you've gone back a few pages with that one. So what he put his body on the line? That's why he only managed 1 contested possession for the whole game? You can find players everywhere that put their body on the line, infact you could prolly find a few posters on this board who would gladly put their body on the line for the club. Doesn't mean they have the skill to be playing at AFL level (infront of all the players we have in the VFL who are lining up and would gladly put their body on the line if they were picked).

He's willingness to put 'his body on the line' is also the reason have gave away the 2 high tackle freekicks against STK in the last quarter that both led to inside 50s and eventually cost us the game. There's alot more to footy than putting your body on the line.

Let's start with what we can agree on
jong has played with an injured hand the last two weeks - he can't take a mark with two hands he can't get two hands on the ball. For the club to not have known this is a disgrace and for the club to know it and still play him is criminal incompetance. I have no words to express my disgust

Hunter need to be dropped - he is a one way runner. With ball in hand lumumba could not catch him in 50 meters
But defensively Cordy runs past him, his effort is pathetic. Now the point is that hunter will most likely one day mature and become a gun player. He is so so so talented. He doesn't need to think about his offensive side because it's overflowing in talent. But until he can work and contribute defensively. He is a waste of space a disaster of unmeasurable proportions.
Hunter should have been dropped after the StKilda game where his defensive effort single handedly cost us the game. Instead he was rewarded and others who have give there all - grant, Hrovat, Macrae were punished.

Now if Minson was dropped because of a lack of defensive effort Bev has absolutely no excuse for playing hunter.

Macrea was dropped because of his kicking. His kicking will not be fixed during a vfl game or an afl game. His kicking can only be fixed at training and the off season. In the interim whatever his deficiencies he is in our 22 day in day out. In the interim he needs to minimise and simplify his game to limit the harm his kicking can cause.

Cordy- I have no words to express my vehement opposition to this joke of an experiment

Forward set-up
When Stringer plays deep and is isolated with a single opponent that is when we play best offensively. That is when the whole side looks potent. Stringer on half forward, stringer on the ball is only to further develop his game. When we need to win he is deepest and isolated. As he was in the third quarter and every time this season when we have looked and been most potent. Than why oh why oh why would you start stringer on a flank in the last and fletcher as the deep forward?

Boyd isolated against 2 or 3 defenders is criminal and that is what we saw today. And then he dragged Tom. Instead of have at least a 2 on 3 situation. tom always brings it to ground. The coaches destroyed him today
Bev and his team should be ashamed of themselves.

I think we have seen some natural improvement in our playing list this season which Bev with a few hawthorn tricks has been able to exact some unexpected wins and good performances.

But his selection policy is baffling and I believe not think believe not only a few of our players but a Bev and the coaches have got way ahead of themselves.

I am near the point that if Cordy plays another game, I will refuse to watch it - live or on TV

He is not a ruckman, he is not a defender. If he goes in the VFL and kicks 5-6 goals fine play him as a forward.

Enough already.

I don't reckon that Jong is fit to return to AFL yet. IMO he shouldn't be out there with a broken hand after just one week off. I'm sure they'll say the glove is "just a precaution" and "his confidence is a just a bit down since the injury" but these figures tell a story:

upload_2015-5-24_21-54-1.png

As someone posted (Fronk I think) these post-injury numbers just aren't acceptable for a midfielder. Jong is a potentially very good player and one of our prime movers in the early rounds (there is a minority here that don't agree but most were marvelling how good he had been 3 weeks ago). However since his injury he has taken no marks at all, let alone any of those great contested ones we saw early in the year. He has averaged fewer than 7 disposals per game. The only thing that is up is his tackle count (marginally). Everything else is well down.

Surely he needs to be given time off to fully recover, whether that takes one week or six.

I'd hope that after an effort like today we'll come out breathing fire against Judas and his mob next week, but I won't be holding my breath.

Got to get some credibility and respect back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good has Dahl been this year? Would be shocked if he isn't leading our b n f.
It's good to focus on the few positives for a while. He was a 4 quarter contributor today and was very often in-and-under doing the little things that don't get on the stats sheet but often result in a clearance, a turnover or a score.

The biggest weakness in his game is his "floaty" kicking as someone posted earlier. He'd be a great weapon if he possessed a bullet pass.

Regardless, he has made a pretty good transition to the midfield this year. He's one of only a handful who can hold his head high today.

Bye can't come soon enough. Quite a few of our players aren't the same ones that they were in the first part of the season (Stringer, Jong, Bontempelli etc)

Look I dunno where to go from here. We'll bounce back but just that game is not sitting well with me, I thought we were past this s**t.

Jong has been absolutely ******* disgusting but I cant buy that he's 'not ready' and brought back early. He got a slight fracture in his hand ffs, sure he might still be questioning his hand a little bit and maybe wants to not go in 100% because of it but I don't think that very small injury can do as much as its done, his effort the last couple of weeks has been deplorable. A very small injury to your hand does not do that.

Boyd was s**t but I still cannot believe the decision to sub him off. Makes no sense whatsoever IMO. He still brought the ball to ground on a number of occasions and lets be honest, when he's not in the forward line its bloody disgusting how poor it performs. Stringer.... Just kick a ******* set shot son its not that hard. Jesus he can be good but he frustrates me. Bonts has been so well held but you can't blame him, just needs some help. Hunter ehh, don't think he's as soft as he's being made out but needs to ******* do something.

A few guys who have been good all year were down today but thats no big deal. I'm so glad Footscray is doing well because jesus theres a few blokes in this side that just need to get the * out of the team in all honesty.

I know its horrible and I hope he can be back asap and playing VFL but I'm sort of happy Goodes cant play next week because * he should not be in the side and i just cannot see us dropping him for some reason.

Not to mention Cordy, I cannot understand this anymore. We ******* back him in as first ruck then by half time we throw that plan out of the window sit him in the forward line doing * all for the rest of the game and ruin our structure by playing other blokes in the ruck. It genuinely makes no sense.

Last edited:
A reality check for sure. For all of his issues, Minson needs to come back in if available as Cordy will just get monstered by Mumford next week. For some reason we just struggle at the MCG & that needs to change if we are to play & win finals in the next couple of years.

Unfortunately Minson is not an option and looking at 3-4 weeks suspension for interfering with a VFL umpire

Jong has been absolutely ******* disgusting but I cant buy that he's 'not ready' and brought back early. He got a slight fracture in his hand ffs, sure he might still be questioning his hand a little bit and maybe wants to not go in 100% because of it but I don't think that very small injury can do as much as its done, his effort the last couple of weeks has been deplorable. A very small injury to your hand does not do that.
Injured hand doesn't stop you from chasing hard, which is a HUGE problem I have with Jong. Although I thought the same before he got the injury...
Too often he jogs behind players instead of giving a fair dinkum chase.

We were chasing from the first bounce due to Cordy, the flow on impact of him is to great. Our mids are always starting behind having to chase the opposition getting hit outs to advantage. Cordy being good around the ground is the biggest myth in football. I've always had my doubts and I've let it be known on here. But since he has been in the team and showed a few good signs I've reserved my judgement until now.
I cant stand him playing. He does nothing well. I really feel for Minson he offers so so much more. If Minno played for another team and come up against Cordy, just think of the result, it would be embarrassing. And now Cordy gets smoked by a spud. No excuses.
Roughead got more hitouts and we looked much better when he was rucking.

Stringer is still playing with a sore groin or something, yet he is still well above the rest of our forwards, that's a bad situation right there. Hopefully its not a time bomb waiting.

Crameri was pretty good but i'd like to see him spend a bit more time forward. We need his goal kicking. And we need another tall forward that can lead, not camp.

How good was Goodes shepperd. That was the best part of the game. Despite what some say he not our worst.

Thought Roughy was immense when he went into the ruck. Provided timing and tap work. This was contrasted with Ayce who didn't win a boundary throw in that I saw due to constantly being out of position. At the centre bounces he's an opposition watcher and therefore has limited ability to tap to advantage.

Not sure how Hamling played today but I like him. He's versatile. Bring him in, Roughy to ruck.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Everyone here still supports the club week in week out i know i buy my 3 memberships every year even though i live in China and will do for the rest of my life, but we are entitled to vent on a performance like that, and frankly i would hope the coach would to. That performance today was just horrible and unacceptable. We lost to Melbourne by 7 goals. Melbourne. The tankers. Enough said.
Yep, love the club through thick and thin.
I've been here in HK for nearly 6 years and still have a reserved seat for that one game a year I can get to :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back