List Mgmt. Mark Blicavs CONFIRMED RE-SIGNED

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Motlop say just a week ago that contract talks are well under way ?
Stop getting all DQed over it

I think 10lana is probably correct... SM gets some form and reminds all how good he can be , the offer goes up a bit and he signs. Might be interesting if he just meanders along with his good average form for most the year.

I wonder what this new contract will do for Mark. Coming from his athletic background ... to finally get some high end money.

Been wondering how many clubs would be eyeing off Blitz after the last few months.... So excellent news.
Obviously happy for the on field but having someone with his character and work ethic as an example at the club for the coming years (particuarly as we lose senior players) will be terrific.

Been wondering how many clubs would be eyeing off Blitz after the last few months.... So excellent news.
Obviously happy for the on field but having someone with his character and work ethic as an example at the club for the coming years (particuarly as we lose senior players) will be terrific.
Another future captain?? :)

He is one of our best players as we speak.;)
His meteoric rise at the club has been very surprising to say the least, with how far he's come in only a couple of seasons.

Should they hold a gun to their heads? If the player doesn't want to talk contract talk, what are you suggesting they do?

What is the actual role of the player manager? As someone who makes a living by getting a cut of whatever coin the players in their portfolio make club loyalty is hardly EVER in their interest when better offers can be scrounged elsewhere. look at ex-Cat Liam Pickering. Sold off Little Gaz like a whore on holiday and laughed all the way to the bank.

Would a player manager be in their clients' ear, constantly whispering 'hold off talks until just before the draft, because you're TOTALLY WORTH IT. You my bottom bitch, baby...'? Maybe lightly biting an earlobe as they do so?

You better believe it.

Cam Guthrie's Dad talking about Blitz and his part in the story...

“I had it in my mind that he could be the sort of player who could end up running with Nick Riewoldt. I imagined him being a centre half back,’’ says Guthrie.
“I always harboured the thought that maybe he could play AFL and things have turned out pretty well.”
Champion Data stats show Blicavs isn’t just a versatile player, he is a huge effectively centre-square participant. From Rounds 4-8 he has been in 22 centre bounces, second only to Selwood at the club.
During that time, the Cats have won 54.5% of those centre bounce clearances — with Blicavs the league’s no. 1 ranked player across the entire competition.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rting-to-pay-off/story-fnp04d70-1227371816368

Where is it written that they have to negotiate best players first? Maybe Blitz's contract was just more simple. We don't know.
Yeah no doubt - he doesn't have a manager it would be a much quicker and much more straightforward process.

Blitz is just a dream from a club perspective.

Cat b rookie, elevated via LTI rule, then happy to stay a rookie for an extra year. Gets elevated again via LTI, as expected, then elevated permanently at end of that year.

Now he signs an extension without an agent (presumably he consulted his folks) and with the absolute minimum of fuss.

Add to that the fact that he basically sets the standard for training and development focus at the club.

I love the guy!

I don't need to rely on stats when I go to the games and watch him continually refuse to chase... That's a lack of effort.
Ive been very critical of Mots for exactly your point. Lack of efforts defensively.

I did see a table in another thread showing his defensive efforts stats wise and those numbers were far better than I imagined.

I admitted I was wrong in part about his defensive work but still feel it looks horrendous when he 1/2 trots after an opponent.

Perhaps perception is taking over reality a bit here. Id like to see more effort visually but the numbers are there to support he is making an effort.

Go Catters

Ive been very critical of Mots for exactly your point. Lack of efforts defensively.

I did see a table in another thread showing his defensive efforts stats wise and those numbers were far better than I imagined.

I admitted I was wrong in part about his defensive work but still feel it looks horrendous when he 1/2 trots after an opponent.

Perhaps perception is taking over reality a bit here. Id like to see more effort visually but the numbers are there to support he is making an effort.

Go Catters
It's where stats obviously fail.
You could use Hawkins as an example. People look at his goal tally and complain. But you only have to open your eyes to see how good a year he is having.

And in mot lops case, maybe all those pressure acts should be 20% higher. Because I consistently see him let players slide away, and he appears to continually give up on the chase. Maybe he is lacking fitness?

But bugger the stats. I'll use my eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could use Hawkins as an example. People look at his goal tally and complain. But you only have to open your eyes to see how good a year he is having.

And in mot lops case, maybe all those pressure acts should be 20% higher. Because I consistently see him let players slide away, and he appears to continually give up on the chase. Maybe he is lacking fitness?

Clearly they are only a guide. My eyes told me he is not working hard enough defensively IMO. The numbers told me otherwise. As usual, somewhere in the middle is the truth and reality of it all.

IMO if he gave a little bit more effort defensively, particularly when he is close to the play/contest with his speed and ability, id accept that. Im not expecting him to be Rooke like in his presence of course.

GO Catters

Lol, we are still in a world where people reject stats and are proud of using their eyes. So sad. When will we learn to reject our biases and see the world for how it actually is.

Blitz is probably the one on the list most due an increase - much like GAJ when he was on his original contract. The club did well on that early and now its his time to get some back. Blitz also resisted the main list urge last year to remain on our Rookie list an extra year last year when he could, performance wise, have gotten on the main list.

Good to see both sides gaining from this. And he didn't cost us anything to get - a true free hit.

Im sure Hawkins wheels are turning and Mots has started but is holding. Its the other 15 or so we have that I want to see get done now….

Go Catters

I'm glad to see Cam Guthrie given freedom to play his natural game in the midfield, in this role he's a high possession asset who's outside and inside game will see him atop the disposal count every week.
Combining him with Mark Blicav's is a dream combo and adding Caddy who seems to be accumulating more this year things aren't looking to bad.
I'm interested to see Luxford who is an inside type with a large frame and how he'll cope with the step up to seniors and work with the above group.

Great news locking Blitz away, how important has he become! Deserves every cent he gets. I was wondering if any clubs who would come sniffing around and offering him a big contract that might make him think. Seems like a loyal guy who would stick with the club for giving him a chance even if there were big offers coming in elsewhere. Good to see the club get on the front foot and lock him away. Yew!

Lol, we are still in a world where people reject stats and are proud of using their eyes. So sad. When will we learn to reject our biases and see the world for how it actually is.
The reverse is also true.... we have plenty who defend a player solely based on the numbers. The numbers though don't show everything and can be just as misleading as bias.

Somewhere in the middle is probably the best position to judge

Strange that they can get his deal done so quickly, but not Hawkins or Motlop.
How inconsiderate of Hawkins mum to pass away and delay his contract getting done

:rolleyes:

I'm glad to see Cam Guthrie given freedom to play his natural game in the midfield, in this role he's a high possession asset who's outside and inside game will see him atop the disposal count every week.
Combining him with Mark Blicav's is a dream combo and adding Caddy who seems to be accumulating more this year things aren't looking to bad.
I'm interested to see Luxford who is an inside type with a large frame and how he'll cope with the step up to seniors and work with the above group.
Must help that Guthrie and Blitz are good mates you can develop so much more chemistry with someone on the field when you are.

I think stats are good for 1 reason, and bad for 1 reason.

They are good because they remove positive confirmation bias. ie, the perception that motlop isn't working hard defensively because everyone notices the few times he is too shagged to maintain the chase but don't notice the 10 other times he applies good pressure.

They are bad, because they can't and don't measure every aspect of a footballers actions which are valuable in winning the game. I'm thinking off the ball work, that little shepherd which allows your team mate more time, that lead into space which opens the space behind you for hawkins to use. That gut running to be the extra man back in defence even if it doesn't lead to a stat for you.

I try to keep these in mind whenever I consider a players performance.

For Example (and you can disagree if you like)

Kersten for the last 3 weeks.

His numbers have been slowly improving, I think first game in he got 6 disposals. Most people wanted him dropped.

What the stats didn't reveal were how many leads he made which opened up our forwardline and shepherds he was making for our smaller midfielders to run through on goal. I used my eyes to realise Kersten wasn't as bad as people were making out, and that if they kept him in he would slowly develop more chemistry with his team mates and begin to affect the game more directly.

By the same token, the reverse might be true with Motlop

The reverse is also true.... we have plenty who defend a player solely based on the numbers. The numbers though don't show everything and can be just as misleading as bias.

This is true but only in cases where stats are proxy indicators of what we are actually looking to examine. Such as tackles as an indication of defensive pressure. When they are exact indicators then we should only use stats.

This is true but only in cases where stats are proxy indicators of what we are actually looking to examine. Such as tackles as an indication of defensive pressure. When they are exact indicators then we should only use stats.
My issue with solely relying on stats is that the basic numbers don't show things like score, time of game, position on the ground etc... a defender could have 20 kicks or handballs that all go backwards or sideways and don't advance the play... he is looked as having 100% disposal efficiency and lots of the ball when he potentially hasn't really had the impact the numbers suggest.

Numbers can be padded and misleading, I agree they can be a good tool but they are not (for me anyway and it's just my opinion) the be all and end all.

This is probably a debate for another thread though really

I just really love the people who say 'I don't have a bias'. Combined with a hyper-critical view of someone is just the punchline to that rib-tickler ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back