List Mgmt. Signed, Sealed, Sammy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Simpson the latest player to put pen to paper.

Simpson has signed a one-year contract extension for 2023, taking his time at the Cats into a seventh season.

Making his debut in 2017, Simpson has played 19 games for the Cats, nine of those in 2020 including the Grand Final against Richmond.

The 24-year-old’s start to the 2022 season was halted when he suffered a concussion in pre-season which sidelined him.

After working his way diligently through his rehabilitation program, Simpson made his return to football in the Cats' Round 17 VFL team against Carlton at IKON Park, finishing with 22 disposals to be named in Geelong’s best. He then went on to play in the Cats’ final three VFL games of the season.

Can’t wish Sam anything but the best of luck! We shouldn’t underestimate that prior to his initial concussion in the 2020 GF, he really was the best of the new young Cats. Silky smooth. Of course, it remains to be seen if he is the player he was and was looking to be after such a long time out of the game. He’s also trying to establish himself into a MF loaded up with new talent and old heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a sleeper for next season. Has good skills and pedigree.
Would be nice to see the two Sams (Menegola and Simpson) muscle their way back into best 22.
Selections for next year are going to be fascinating..
Simpson sure but no on Menegola. I’d like to think with natural improvement on some the younger guys, and only having one retirement that people such as Menegola and Rohan are phased out by end of the season.

Really pleased with this. Reckon Simpson could be a huge inclusion for us with a big pre-season under his belt and continuity in his footy.

Looked to have an an enormous future after his perfomance in the back half of 2020, but has been incredibly unlucky in the 2 years since. He's got the skills to really add something as a link in the chain IMO. Can never have enough good users in the side.

The club clearly rates him, and he's clearly got an enormous work ethic to come from so far back physically as a draftee. Would not surprise me at all if he did a 'Zuthrie' next year and became best 22 again.

Wishing him the best, by all reports he's a quality person and deserves a good run at it.

Pleased for Sam. Had an injury-riddled year this year.

I posted a list of players' contracts published in the HS in another thread that said Rohan still hadn't been re-signed. If accurate, wonder what's going on there?
They , like me, never saw the Rohan got 2 years last year.

I have no link for it but Rohan is OOC at end of 2023 season.

GO Catters

Sam seems like a really nice guy and he was showing promise two years ago, but footy is a brutal business and players like him usually struggle to come back to deliver on the promise. IU hope I am proved wrong but I think he was lucky that the draft is considered shallow this year.

Simpson sure but no on Menegola. I’d like to think with natural improvement on some the younger guys, and only having one retirement that people such as Menegola and Rohan are phased out by end of the season.
Part of me agrees on Menegola but a bit sorry for him last season with injuries etc. He works hard.
I really thought he might be thrown up as trade bait as he would be a good mature age addition to a developing list.

Last edited:

Why Rohan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They , like me, never saw the Rohan got 2 years last year.

I have no link for it but Rohan is OOC at end of 2023 season.

GO Catters
Thanks font of all knowledge. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why Rohan?
Probably has only one year left in him. Will be 32 in twelve months, well past his peak and will find it very difficult to maintain his primary asset, explosive speed, beyond next year. Sprinters tend to decline much earlier than distance runners

Dont think he starts next year in our first 30 players picked as our side is far better and deeper than when he was a regular and not playing footy for virtually 2 years is bound to have set back his development but I struggle to see how his list spot would have benefited us this year, if its pick 50 or so in the draft or a highly speculative rookie I'm keeping Simpson every day of the week.

Rohan is still a matchwinner, see the QF.

Menegola unfortunately lacks what we now expect from our wingers in Holmes and Smith, and thats pace and endurance. Menegolas only saving grace is if he goes back into the middle now Joel has retired as he is a bigger bodied mid and a long kick. So if someone gets the clearance out to him, hitting it from the centre clearance to the top of the goal square is handy to have.

But I just can't see how he takes a wing role off Holmes or Smith barring injury.

And even then if we are talking midfield rotations taking Joels time from last season, I would much rather see Bowes/Bruhn/Parfitt or Close if they decide they want him up the field taking those minutes.

Rohan is still a matchwinner, see the QF.

Menegola unfortunately lacks what we now expect from our wingers in Holmes and Smith, and thats pace and endurance. Menegolas only saving grace is if he goes back into the middle now Joel has retired as he is a bigger bodied mid and a long kick. So if someone gets the clearance out to him, hitting it from the centre clearance to the top of the goal square is handy to have.

But I just can't see how he takes a wing role off Holmes or Smith barring injury.

And even then if we are talking midfield rotations taking Joels time from last season, I would much rather see Bowes/Bruhn/Parfitt or Close if they decide they want him up the field taking those minutes.
I have nothing against Mena as a player. But the fact it's now really hard to see where he fits in our best 22 is an indication of how far we've come in terms of depth in recent times. The fact is that when he was considered just about a lock in the senior team, I think that underlined the sense that we didn't have enough talent across the list to truly stand out from the crowd.

When you have players of his calibre genuinely struggling to find a spot if the team is healthy and in form, you are in a good place with the overall strength of your list.

I have nothing against Mena as a player. But the fact it's now really hard to see where he fits in our best 22 is an indication of how far we've come in terms of depth in recent times. The fact is that when he was considered just about a lock in the senior team, I think that underlined the sense that we didn't have enough talent across the list to truly stand out from the crowd.

When you have players of his calibre genuinely struggling to find a spot if the team is healthy and in form, you are in a good place with the overall strength of your list.
Thing is our gameplan this year was heavily influenced by speed on the wings and numbers spreading. Its why Holmes, Smith, Close etc had wildly successful years. We just can't play Menegola on a wing anymore because he has never been quick enough but its even more obvious now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back