Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

So was Waverley. Soulless bloody dump.

The thing here is that my Waverley experiences weren't as unpleasant as most peoples it seems.

The only place I didn't like watching the game from at Waverley was on the fence. You couldn't see the other side of the ground lol.

I had some stinking days in the car park, and with the weather too. But on the whole I never had the same attitude towards it to most.

The thing here is that my Waverley experiences weren't as unpleasant as most peoples it seems.

The only place I didn't like watching the game from at Waverley was on the fence. You couldn't see the other side of the ground lol.

I had some stinking days in the car park, and with the weather too. But on the whole I never had the same attitude towards it to most.
The major issue for me if it were to still exist nowadays would be the unnecessary distance to travel. I don't mind driving from Melbourne to Geelong, it's a location that makes sense, and they don't play there Friday nights so I don't have to drive down from work. Driving all the way to Waverley and back home again after work (I live in the North and work in the city) for a game supposedly in my city makes no sense, though.

The major issue for me if it were to still exist nowadays would be the unnecessary distance to travel. I don't mind driving from Melbourne to Geelong, it's a location that makes sense, and they don't play there Friday nights so I don't have to drive down from work. Driving all the way to Waverley and back home again after work (I live in the North and work in the city) for a game supposedly in my city makes no sense, though.

Waverley was doomed as soon as the rail link was canned and the extra developments were also canned.

I suppose I liked it more than others because it was the closest ground to me for many years for one, and after going there for a while you learn a few tricks as to how to circumvent some of the issues.

I never went there but why the heck did they make Waverly's surface so large? Even with large playing dimensions for the game the boundary was a very long way in from the fence. Being in the outer must have felt like watching the game from a different postcode.
you couldn't see the play on other side of the oval with out binoculars! it was an open, windy, wet & cold crap hole of a place. the whole design of waverley was a disaster piece. the only sad part in seeing it go was, it would be nice if there was still a ground out there that the AFL could use.

Waverley had a pizza hut there & you could BYO beer &the car park was huge you were always guaranteed a park there, but in saying that you needed to park near a 4wd & hope the owner was around after the game so he could hook a snatch strap on & unbog your car

Waverley had a pizza hut there & you could BYO beer &the car park was huge you were always guaranteed a park there, but in saying that you needed to park near a 4wd & hope the owner was around after the game so he could hook a snatch strap on & unbog your car
Provided you brought the required map and compass to locate it before your neighbour did, of course.

I can now tick off manuka off the list.

That place is terribly terrible.

I guess for cricket it would be great, but in the rain and cold like the GWS vs GC game at night...

Can't think of many worse. Sightlines are deplorable in the premium seats undercover. Zero protection from the wind.

The quicker the asbestos demolitions are done, the quicker the redevelopment of LBG outside Civic with a 35,000 oval stadium the better.

Last edited:
I never went there but why the heck did they make Waverly's surface so large? Even with large playing dimensions for the game the boundary was a very long way in from the fence. Being in the outer must have felt like watching the game from a different postcode.
Really designed more for football not spectators, while etihad waverly's replacement, one would argue is the other way around

I don't know if i've posted this before, but I was at Point Gellibrand/Burbank Oval last weekend for the VFL (Williamstown Vs Port) and it is easily the worst ground in the whole competition.

Being right on the bay, it blows a gale there all year round and is often wet and freezing cold even on pleasant days. There is virtually no shelter apart from the one tiny old brick grandstand, which is fairly comfortable up the back, but offers no protection in the front half of it.

It makes it worse that the ground has been upgraded only a few years ago to the tune of $6 million, which helped them do up the stand and make the facilities inside very modern for spectators, plus providing modern change rooms with all the trappings like a media room and ice baths. They also bought an electric scoreboard, but didn't spend that much obviously, because it clearly isn't top of the line.

I understand the home owners won't allow wind breakers to be built, as they would lose their view of the bay, and they have actually put up a few tents around the city side to provide shelter if it is required, but from a purely supporter comfort point of view it is an utter nightmare!

AMMI Stadium was just a terrible place to watch football. Out of the way. Public Transport and parking was just useless. viewing was terrible and you felt you miles away from the action and wound watching half the game on the pixelated video screens. The facilities were rubbish. Crows colours everywhere and it never felt like out home ground. So glad we play at Adelaide Oval now.

I have only been to the G, Etihad, Kardinia Park and Optus Oval.

Was not a fan of Optus Oval.

I loved standing in the outter at KP in the ice and rain. I quite like the look of the new stands and updated facilities too.

I honestly dont mind the dome as transport is obviously great and due to the steep stands, you get decent views.

The 'G is still my favourite though. The walk from fed square is awesome as you get closer and closer :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AMMI Stadium was just a terrible place to watch football. Out of the way. Public Transport and parking was just useless. viewing was terrible and you felt you miles away from the action and wound watching half the game on the pixelated video screens. The facilities were rubbish. Crows colours everywhere and it never felt like out home ground. So glad we play at Adelaide Oval now.

I agreed until you got to the end.

It wasn't YOUR home ground. It was the SANFL's home ground which we both utilized. And as for the Crows colours (which is total rubbish except for a few flagpoles), The SANFL had flags and posters around the stadium in the SANFL colours which are the colours of the state.

..............and the state colours are?

You ****.

I agreed until you got to the end.

It wasn't YOUR home ground. It was the SANFL's home ground which we both utilized. And as for the Crows colours (which is total rubbish except for a few flagpoles), The SANFL had flags and posters around the stadium in the SANFL colours which are the colours of the state.

..............and the state colours are?

You ****.
Just ignore them.
A Port fan complaining about Crows colours at Footy Park is like a Port Magpies fan (like Geoffa32 ) complaining about Port Power colours at Alberton Oval.

There's 1 (or 2) building(s) to the side with a logo on it, but other than that, it's all yours.

Ive only ever been to Football park, Adelaide oval, MCG, Etihad, Princes park and Kardinia park. I enjoyed them all so I cant say a bad thing

Football Park for me on several visits. The atmosphere could only be described as shrill as it always sounded like there were 40,000 children there and about 10 adults. Also, people complain about travelling to ANZ in Sydney but whenever I was in a car on the way to Football Park I felt like I was being led to the asylum from the movie Hostel.

And well look, I have a great appreciate of bogan-ism in all it's forms but the fold out chairs and crappy BBQs of people who look like they were way past it in the car park on the way in just wasn't cuppa. A far cry from the festive vibe of an American College match (whatever sport) for example. But you know, that's their thing and good for them.

It's not that the stadium itself sucks, but the whole experience sucks.

Moving to Adelaide Oval has been magnificent and I can't wait to attend a match there and if you think I have any beef with Adelaide/SA then I'll just add that I can't thank you enough for Vili's Pies & Farmer's Union Iced Coffee.

Just got back from blundstone arena, was stood on the hill staring into the sun all day, massive queues for food, bars and toilets also ran out of pies after half time. Was overall really disappointed, was a bit of an advocate for a boutique style stadium in melbourne/victoria but after that unorganised mess its big stadiums all the way for me.

Just got back from blundstone arena, was stood on the hill staring into the sun all day, massive queues for food, bars and toilets also ran out of pies after half time. Was overall really disappointed, was a bit of an advocate for a boutique style stadium in melbourne/victoria but after that unorganised mess its big stadiums all the way for me.
First post on Big Footy and it's to critique Blundstone Arena. It must have really been a bad experience :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back