Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt the media have set this whole story up. Without their input Goodes is just another unlikable football player who is boo'd, there are plenty of them. No story, move on.
Name another player that is booed as often as Goodes is by away fans

Yes he was.
But since he made a stand against racism the booing has increased 10 fold. Perhaps it's not a small minority at all.

Then why isnt Lumumba being boo'd? He's been far more outspoken and less eloquent than Goodes when making his stand. He has also taken to social media and also stood up to Eddie.

If Goodes is indeed being boo'd due to the stand he has made, surely Lumumba should be dealing with pitch forks?

Then why isnt Lumumba being boo'd? He's been far more outspoken and less eloquent than Goodes when making his stand. He has also taken to social media and also stood up to Eddie.

If Goodes is indeed being boo'd due to the stand he has made, surely Lumumba should be dealing with pitch forks?

Because Lumumba doesn't touch the ball.

It was very clear where Goodes was directing his "War Cry". How many Carlton fans were there at the SCG last night? They were all pretty much congregated in the same area which happened to be the very same area where Goodes decided to focus the attention on himself. How Indigenous round divides, not unites. Has anyone else noticed how coaches who are so intense, so aware in the coaches box of everything that goes on out on the field always come up with this "I caught the very end of it on one of the replays, so I didn’t see it live I only saw a tiny bit at the end. I was a bit unaware of it." - John Longmire. Whenever there is an incident and usually when there is a report involved, the coach never sees it? The whole football world knows about it and the coach is the only bloke who hasn't a clue! Strange how they pass the buck on things like this. Well, Goodes got his headline, his "war cry" made more news than his teams win, i guess that's mission accomplished. FFS play the dreamtime game between Richmond V Essendon on Friday nights beginning next season so it doesn't get upstaged again!
A fan was evicted from the stadium shortly after the incident, however the AFL confirmed this incident was unrelated. Unrelated? I bet my left knacker if Goodes hadn't directed his "war cry" at Carlton fans that loyal Blues fan would've witnessed the whole game and not be shamed by being thrown out.

That's a crock of crap and you know it. People in Australia have been talking about race relations a lot longer than Adam goodes being around. It's taught in schools, the history of the stolen generations and cultural tolerance is taught at the school level. This is not the 1950s anymore.

As for what they say off-field, both Lindsay Thomas and Daniel wells actively talk about their Aboriginal pride and heritage and acknowledge the difficulties that the krackeour brothers and Winmar had to put up with.

I hate the term race too on a sidenote, such a social Darwin term.
Yep, you are right, it is not the 1950's anymore. So why are the indigenous so disadvantaged still, in so many areas?

I thought what he did was great, and I think he is the biggest flog in the AFL!

But I think it would have been better if he had done it near the Sydney cheer squad, he would have got a big cheer, much more effective in my view.

He does that, it instantly goes from an antogonistic, divisive act, to a celebration. No story.

You are suggesting it is common behaviour. I disagree.

We all boo players at times in games, but this is systematic booing of a player week in week out.

Media has played ahuge part in it, like I said. Watson was systematically boo'd for ages after the media came out and said it was naughty of the WCE fans to boo him. A lot of it is bandwagon stuff.

Do you think a war dance towards the opposition is a constructive move?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he was.
But since he made a stand against racism the booing has increased 10 fold. Perhaps it's not a small minority at all.
Goodes did make a stand against that girl, but I'm not sure that was the tipping point for the booing. A large part seems to be that people don't like being told who they can and can't jeer. Its increased since that aspect from the media became a part of the story... 15 years into his career.

See if Jobe gets a nice reception at Subi in a few weeks after the hand wringing last time he was here.

Yep, you are right, it is not the 1950's anymore. So why are the indigenous so disadvantaged still, in so many areas?
Another argument there mate, but primarily caused by the actions in colonists from the 19th century and the long lasting effects of the stolen generations on the culture, spirituality, including the connection to the land, and kinship of Aboriginal people.

Maybe, l suspect it's more to do with people believing that the action of finger pointing at a young girl was over the top (I personally don't think it was) and he could have handled it differently, either that people felt others should have got aoty ahead of him.

I didn't have a problem with him pointing at someone he thought had racially vilified him at the time.

It was the following days when it became clear that the girl didn't intend the jibe at Goodes as a racist remark. That was when Goodes could have helped the girl and her family and said something like, "You know what, on this occasion it may not of been racial, and I take the young girl at her word."

But Adam Goodes couldn't do that. Because well, he is....ADAM GOODES! Which is the crux of his problem with the football fans. He takes himself too seriously.

Goodes did make a stand against that girl, but I'm not sure that was the tipping point for the booing. A large part seems to be that people don't like being told who they can and can't jeer. Its increased since that aspect from the media became a part of the story... 15 years into his career.

See if Jobe gets a nice reception at Subi in a few weeks after the hand wringing last time he was here.
That's an interesting point, the effects of the media on the booing is definitely a factor as to why we are talking about booing.

Media has played ahuge part in it, like I said. Watson was systematically boo'd for ages after the media came out and said it was naughty of the WCE fans to boo him. A lot of it is bandwagon stuff.

Do you think a war dance towards the opposition is a constructive move to stop this?
Its not the booing that needs to be stopped, it is the underlying reasons for why people are booing that is the issue.

Im sure there are isolated incidents, but there is no systematic booing of Joel Selwood. He is considered as one of the bigger stagers for free kicks.

This is true, but then again people are not booing Goodes because of his staging.

Generally booing is restricted to events that occurred in the game being watched - booing on an ongoing basis such as with Jobe Watson seems to be inspired by things that are non-gameday related.

I personally am proud of the way Goodes represents his heritage, proud he plays for the Swans and proud he got Australian of the year. Do I get annoyed by his staging occasionally? A little sometimes, but he is not alone as we know.

This has become a little complicated really - I think the booing comes down to one thing and that is what happened two years ago. He stood up, but we only like it when someone stands up for what we also believe in. So the inherent issue is people do not like him standing up for what they do not believe in, so they boo him.

I didn't have a problem with him pointing at someone he thought had racially vilified him at the time.

It was the following days when it became clear that the girl didn't intend the jibe at Goodes as a racist remark. That was when Goodes could have helped the girl and her family and said something like, "You know what, on this occasion it may not of been racial, and I take the young girl at her word."

But Adam Goodes couldn't do that. Because well, he is....ADAM GOODES! Which is the crux of his problem with the football fans. He takes himself too seriously.
Did you see his interview the next day?

Another argument there mate, but primarily caused by the actions in colonists from the 19th century and the long lasting effects of the stolen generations on the culture, spirituality, including the connection to the land, and kinship of Aboriginal people.
Yep but at least Goodes, with his work with troubled youth, health and education areas, sporting academy etc is trying to address these issues. Which is probably a lot more than you or I, or most of the posters on this board are doing. If his actions highlight his pride in his heritage-all good!

Its not the booing that needs to be stopped, it is the underlying reasons for why people are booing that is the issue.

Wait so booing is ok, as long as it isn't racist? Is there an inflection in a boo that makes it clearly racist? Or is it only the ones directed at Goodes?

I'd love to hear your opinion on how this can be policed...

Again, do you think the war dance was constructive? DO you agree it would of been more sensible to do it towards his own fans?

Name another player that is booed as often as Goodes is by away fans
Name another player that did what he did to a 13 year old girl?

The booing followed this - swans supporters want to play the race card when we are playing the flog card.

he looked slow to me, turned the game off as it was so boring. could 20 or so blues supporters make such an impact?

or is it media and goodes rehearsing for politics. I have always though him to be a dirty player who is protected by the media but i haven't seen a swans game live for a few years so I don't have a game day experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back