2015 Wimbledon

Remove this Banner Ad

Its quite tragic that some naive people are giving credibility to Tomic's grievances given his and his father's history of incidents.

Despite what many think, TA actually has a pretty good rep across the sport.

Just look at what Robbie Koenig had to say:
View attachment 149536
View attachment 149537

Its about 99% likely that Tomic was just being a self-entitled dickhead and creating trouble just cos his father told him too, because he's too stupid to make his own decisions. Biting the hand that has fed him all along. Without TA funding, Tomic wouldn't even be known.

Hopefully Kyrgios follows through with his threat not to play as well, and they f*** him off too.
This blow up was unprecedented in terms of aggression and intent.

There is no way Bernie is mother teresa, but I do expect something to come out of this.

I like most European accents but it's not her accent that's particularly bad. Her voice is just a shocker to me and not attractive whatsoever.

Btw I'm so with you on Lisicki. Big fan but a really really frustrating player.

I don't mind her voice but I have met her a number of times off the court, one of the sweetest girls on tour. Genuinely nice person.

Sabine is an absolute fruitcake, and frankly she is pushing my patience. You see her play well and you are like 'why hasn't she won a Slam or two'...and then you see her play dumb tennis the next day. Utterly frustrating as a fan.

Have I missed something? When did Kyrgios threaten not to play Davis Cup?
Davis Cup crisis: Nick Kyrgios says he may withdraw after Bernard Tomic is stood down from selection
AUSTRALIA’s Davis Cup crisis has worsened amid claims Nick Kyrgios is threatening to withdraw from the team in retaliation for Bernard Tomic’s sacking.

News Corp has been told Kyrgios messaged Tennis Australia staff immediately after learning Tomic had been stood down from Cup selection to say he would not play.

Tomic was dumped from the team to face Kazakhstan in Darwin from July 17-19 after savaging TA officials in a wide-ranging attack.

Tomic’s accused TA of abandoning him after he underwent hip surgery last year.

John Tomic told News Corp Bernard was ordered to apologise for his attack on TA - and was prepared to do so.

story-fnibcgxs-1227429572977

But, after several hours of meetings with TA president Steve Healy, chief executive and Davis Cup captain Wally Masur, he was banished.

Tomic left the All England Club abruptly and soon after Kyrgios is claimed to have sent text messages to team officials saying he will not play for Australia.

John Tomic said TA is “discriminating against a player who wants to play Davis Cup”.

He also insisted Bernard had the support of Kyrgios.

The situation remains at flashpoint ahead of Kyrgios’ fourth-round with Frenchman Richard Gasquet on Monday night.

Kyrgios could not be contacted for comment.

Tomic said on Friday Kyrgios would not play unless he did.

“It’s interesting what’s happened the last week that Nick wasn’t going to play, as well,” Tomic said.

“He said ‘If you don’t play, I don’t play’.”

Tomic’s attack on TA director of performance Pat Rafter, Tiley and Healy triggered the split.

He accused the trio of mismanagement, neglect and bias after the family’s long-running feud over funding for Sara Tomic.

“His behaviour was unacceptable,” Healy responded.

“Playing for our country is an absolute privilege, and with that privilege comes an obligation to behave appropriately. He didn’t.

“The allegations are misinformed and untrue and he publicly derided some outstanding people.

“We are trying to build a strong culture underpinned by a philosophy of opportunity, not entitlement. This behaviour is just not on.

“Hopefully he will learn from this. Our entire tennis community is committed to working hard to help all our players, including Bernard, be the best tennis players, and the best people, they can be.”

Tiley denied Tomic had been unfairly treated.

“He’s enjoyed great support from the organisation from the age of 11-12,” Tiley said.

“The organisation, through its support and funding, really helped him get to where he is today.

“He himself has got himself there but we, as an organisation, have been a really key partner in all of that.

“Our developmental pathway goes to a certain point. He’s now making a lot of money. He’s enjoying benefits of contracts and he’s an athlete that can support himself.

“It’s a simple decision off the back of the comments Bernie made last night ... It will really be up to Bernard.

“If he chooses one path that is destructive, that’ll be unfortunate and it’s not going to benefit him. If he chooses another path of taking it on the chin and accept what he’s done is in error and not acceptable, we can move on.”

Asked if Kyrgios would front for the Darwin tie, Healy said: “Wally (Masur) has been talking to all the players and we’re expecting Nick to be available to play.”

Tiley confirmed Tomic was forced to pay for his own court hire and balls last summer because of poor behaviour.

“That is true, and it’s standard for all players that behave in the way they behaved that forced that decision to be made,” Tiley said.

“It was a combination of things, and the specifics of it is the communication to Pat (Rafter), at the time our Davis Cup captain.

“We support fully the decisions that are made on those small granular things.

“That’s designed to send a message as well.”

Healy said TA would not pursue legal action against Tomic.

“We’re not thinking legal action,” he said.

“The sanction of not selecting Bernard in this tie is sufficient. He’s a very keen Davis Cup player, a great Davis Cup player.

“He’s very disappointed not to play. I think that’s sufficient for the time being.”

THE long-running dispute between Bernard Tomic and Tennis Australia, which culminated with the tennis brat being dropped from Australia’s davis Cup team on the weekend, has its roots in a heated email exchange in December between Tomic’s father John and then team captain Pat Rafter.

Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley said the exchange was the catalyst for TA’s decision to cut funding for Tomic.

“It was a combination of things, and the specifics of it is the communication to Pat, at the time our Davis Cup captain,” Mr Tiley said yesterday.

However, in London yesterday, John Tomic laid the blame on Tennis Australia, saying it reneged on a Davis Cup peace pact with his son.

He said his son had several conversations on Saturday with officials before being told he would not be picked.

And he claimed Tomic agreed to apologise for disparaging comments made on Friday, before TA officials decided to stand him down from Davis Cup selection.

Mr Tomic said his son met Davis Cup captain Wally Masur and also spoke to coach Josh Eagle before meeting TA president Steve Healy and Mr Tiley at Wimbledon.

“After Craig Tiley emailed Bernard, Wally Masur called Bernard and ask him that they find each other in the Wimbledon village,” Mr Tomic told The Daily Telegraph.

“At the meeting in Wimbledon Village, it was just Wally Masur and he said that they needed to work between them and Bernard agreed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not been able to watch much of the tennis as yet for various reasons but I have a night in tonight and a day off tomorrow... no Wimbledon :(

Picked the wrong day to have a day off just saying lol

seems although the young blokes may have egos, they all seem to respect each other. If it wasn't for the bias media coverage TA would look like massive twats

Spot on. No issue with what tomic had to say, TA have a history of expecting the world and holding grudges.. especially if you have a surname that doesn't sound particularly australian.

I've tried to ignore the media coverage of what Tomic had to say and TA's response. There are always 2 sides to a story and some of Tomic's gripes may ring true, especially in regard to how TA are run. But there is also a lot of history with John Tomic and from all the evidence he has shown, he seems like a complete w***er.

That article posted above does not directly quote Kyrgios, so I am sure he will still play for the DC team in the next tie.

Kyrgios, Kokkinakis, Groth, Hewitt in doubles. It isn't a bad team to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back