Beast in the East: Japan Network Special

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so sad that I didn't get to see Cesaro vs Diego. And I'm not being sarcastic, it was probably awesome.

It's still annoyed me how much they built this around the nxt title, and all the Finn Balor stuff on nxt. It telegraphed the title change for about a month (however long they'd been promoting this). I reckon the impact and reaction would have been much stronger if you build it almost exclusively around Brock, have the NXT match on there without such the strong hint toward Balor.

People go in without the nonstop Balor hype (he already has a decent sized fan base) so it's not like nobody would care when an unexpected title change happens. Have the whole Japan story touched on AFTER he wins it, how it was such a big deal for him after all his time over there. Instead we got it the other way around, this was advertised as the only match that would be watchable, three weeks of Balor backstory and other vignettes about him on NXT.

It's still annoyed me how much they built this around the nxt title, and all the Finn Balor stuff on nxt. It telegraphed the title change for about a month (however long they'd been promoting this). I reckon the impact and reaction would have been much stronger if you build it almost exclusively around Brock, have the NXT match on there without such the strong hint toward Balor.

People go in without the nonstop Balor hype (he already has a decent sized fan base) so it's not like nobody would care when an unexpected title change happens. Have the whole Japan story touched on AFTER he wins it, how it was such a big deal for him after all his time over there. Instead we got it the other way around, this was advertised as the only match that would be watchable, three weeks of Balor backstory and other vignettes about him on NXT.

I agree with this in essence but at the same time kinda wonder if that's in part due to the difference in each show. The NXT match being built up because it's the only NXT show on the card & that's what they do on NXT, whereas RAW & Smackdown barely give any continual storyline or reason to care about any upcoming ppv ever anyway so they just go about their business slapping together randoms against each other on the card with little build up like they pretty much do everytime outside the title picture anyway.
No championship match on the card = no reason to hype anything on RAW.

I agree with this in essence but at the same time kinda wonder if that's in part due to the difference in each show. The NXT match being built up because it's the only NXT show on the card & that's what they do on NXT, whereas RAW & Smackdown barely give any continual storyline or reason to care about any upcoming ppv ever anyway so they just go about their business slapping together randoms against each other on the card with little build up like they pretty much do everytime outside the title picture anyway.
No championship match on the card = no reason to hype anything on RAW.

You can have the title match. And have build around it, but the way they advertised it and the constant Balor videos and such left no doubt in anyone's mind who was leaving NXT champion. Just think there was better way to build the match up and leave some doubt in people's minds, then do the title change. Have Balor come out cut a promo on why winning, especially in Japan was such a big deal. Then run the videos we got the past few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can have the title match. And have build around it, but the way they advertised it and the constant Balor videos and such left no doubt in anyone's mind who was leaving NXT champion. Just think there was better way to build the match up and leave some doubt in people's minds, then do the title change. Have Balor come out cut a promo on why winning, especially in Japan was such a big deal. Then run the videos we got the past few weeks.

Oh yeah I get that & totally agree. It was completely obvious the match was only going one way.
I was just saying that the expectation of that result was heightened by the fact it was literally the only match on the card with any sort build up or storyline beforehand because that's the norm of everything other than NXT.

I must say I really enjoyed it (I did FF the main event). I really loved the different feel of a Japanese mini PPV of sorts. It would be awesome to see shows from around the world on the network. Let the other titles headline mini PPV type shows.

Owens is everything I want from a heel. He just seems to really believe in what he is saying, so invested in his own character. He doesn't just say heel stuff, it seems like there is always an element of truth in what he is saying. KO is basically feuding with 5 guys at the moment.

Still sounds like s**t.
Sure does. To be fair to Nikki, she HAS improved out of sight, and dare I say it, she's probably more entertaining in the ring than MOST of the current roster.
It's certainly not her fault they've decided to run with her for so long.

A little variety would be nice though, instead of Paige, Nikki and Naomi triple threats every 4 weeks.

Sure does. To be fair to Nikki, she HAS improved out of sight, and dare I say it, she's probably more entertaining in the ring than MOST of the current roster.
It's certainly not her fault they've decided to run with her for so long.

A little variety would be nice though, instead of Paige, Nikki and Naomi triple threats every 4 weeks.
In fairness to Nicky is also not her fault they have flip flopped her and other divas from heel to face to heel or whatever else way too often.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back