Opinion Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one was told not to boo Goodes until he'd been booed for over a dozen games.

Why do the defenders of the booing resort to lying so often?
There's that, too. But I don't particularly feel like getting into a chicken and egg argument right now.
Nor minutiae.

So all you've got now is "He's lying".
Alright. I'm lying. Run along now.

It all goes back to the Australian of the Year award. Rightly or wrongly the perception is that he was given the award "for campaigning against racism" based on that one single incident with the 13 years old kid in the crowd. Opinion was very divided on that incident, therefore it follows that many people thought he was an unworthy recipient of the AOTY award.

Perception matters. It's probably too late now to emphasize that the award was also for his extensive charity work. But that wasn't what was highlighted at the time.

There's that, too. But I don't particularly feel like getting into a chicken and egg argument right now.
Nor minutiae.

So all you've got now is "He's lying".
Alright. I'm lying. Run along now.
So you don't want to deal with facts, which you dismiss as minutiae.

I don't know which player you are talking about, but sounds to me that if he didn't get prison time then it was probably self-defense.

But you did remind me of the Eagles player who bashed a bloke for dancing with his ex missus. He is a massive flog, but I can't remember his name.

There's probably a few melbourne-centric cases I haven't heard about.
Dane Swan. Wasn't self defence.

Given that this thread is largely about racism and the way people lose the ability to recognise it in themselves, I thought I'd share a prose poem I came across the other day:

You and your partner go to see the film The House We Live In. You ask a friend to pick up your child from school. On your way home your phone rings. Your neighbor tells you he is standing at his window watching a menacing black guy casing both your homes. The guy is walking back and forth talking to himself and seems disturbed.

You tell your neighbor that your friend, whom he has met, is babysitting. He says, no, it’s not him. He’s met your friend and this isn’t that nice young man. Anyway, he wants you to know, he’s called the police.

Your partner calls your friend and asks him if there’s a guy walking back and forth in front of your home. Your friend says that if anyone were outside he would see him because he is standing outside. You hear the sirens through the speakerphone.

Your friend is speaking to your neighbor when you arrive home. The four police cars are gone. Your neighbor has apologized to your friend and is now apologizing to you. Feeling somewhat responsible for the actions of your neighbor, you clumsily tell your friend that the next time he wants to talk on the phone he should just go in the backyard. He looks at you a long minute before saying he can speak on the phone wherever he wants. Yes, of course, you say. Yes, of course.
—by
Claudia Rankine
from
Citizen

So you don't want to deal with facts, which you dismiss as minutiae.
Minutiae, yes. Your facts, my facts, largely irrelevant in the face of what I said - which was, to be specific, that I didn't think it was even really about Adam Goodes any more, or who said what to who.
You're speaking to the wrong guy. Try someone else.

It was the booing that shook the world. I'm not going to drum it up anymore. I hope in future rounds the crowd is able to find it's spontaneity again and doesn't become too self conscious.

I think adam play one season too long, now with the boeeing just an excuse to quit the game.

I'm sorry mate but none of that can replace the love of a parent in my mind. And in a lot of circumstances the parents were not 'dysfunctional, promiscuous and drunken' but in fact just from a race that at the time was not considered fit for parenting. A dark period in our history and certainly not one to glamourise in any sense.

Certainly not glamouring anything - just stating the facts. So do you think the present is so much better? Try getting out of your ivory tower and seeing for yourself a typical remote Aboriginal community with the rampant drug and alcohol abuse, everyday sexual abuse of toddlers and young children, chronic obesity and other health problems, no literacy or social skills, shocking poverty, lawlessness, crime - in fact abject misery. Actually you don't even need to leave the metro area to see it.

The people who are demonised these days for "stealing" these kids were actually doing something heroic.

Certainly not glamouring anything - just stating the facts. So do you think the present is so much better? Try getting out of your ivory tower and seeing for yourself a typical remote Aboriginal community with the rampant drug and alcohol abuse, everyday sexual abuse of toddlers and young children, chronic obesity and other health problems, no literacy or social skills, shocking poverty, lawlessness, crime - in fact abject misery. Actually you don't even need to leave the metro area to see it.

The people who are demonised these days for "stealing" these kids were actually doing something heroic.

Oh, ffs. You are not just stating the facts. None of us are.

Yes, there are major problems in remote and urban Aboriginal communities. Many of those problems were not present in pre-stolen generation communities. The acts (even if well intentioned, and that is arguable) of forcably removing children from their families and their culture produced lasting damage to the families left behind and the removed children. We are now all too aware of the abuse that children in hostels received during the time of the Stolen generation. Calling child stealers heroic is a bridge too far, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling child stealers heroic is a bridge too far, in my opinion.

Agreed. But so is calling it genocide.

One of the worst lasting effects of the stolen generation controversy is that Child Welfare workers are now extremely restricted in what they can actually do to help at-risk children of any race, since taking children away from their families is basically off the table except in extreme cases.

I haven't commented on this thread, largely because I am not particularly passionate. But your above statement is ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous; inflammatory, ill informed, uneducated, rubbish. I don't actually believe anyone in this day and age could actually believe that. I think you're trolling a sensitive subject and should be embarrassed by your thinly veiled attempt to stir the pot.

I haven't commented on this thread, largely because I am not particularly passionate. But your above statement is ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous; inflammatory, ill informed, uneducated, rubbish. I don't actually believe anyone in this day and age could actually believe that. I think you're trolling a sensitive subject and should be embarrassed by your thinly veiled attempt to stir the pot.

I'm not embarrassed for speaking the truth. At least I don't indulge in ugly personal abuse.

I'm not embarrassed for speaking the truth. At least I don't indulge in ugly personal abuse.

Truth? Please. Everyday sexual abuse of toddlers? Lawlessness? Misery? Social skills?

I'll give you some truth in poverty, literacy, drug and alcohol issues, obesity, health....any idea how those issues came about?

If you're going to spout rubbish and celebrate the stolen generation. Prepare to be called out.

Getting back on topic.

Adam Goodes is finding it hard to cope with the constant booing and feels he is being racially vilified.
Whether or not that is the reason he is being heckled is up for debate.
The fact that he feels the reason he is being targeted is race related is his opinion,an opinion that he is entitled to.
It's not that hard for AFL fans to respect his feelings and stop the booing.

How hard is this? Aboriginal man gets made Australian of the year and makes comment about the experience of indigenous people since settlement or invasion depending on your perspective and also calls out a girl who belittled him in a racist fashion by calling him an ape.

White Australia gets all offended saying things like he's dividing Australia and not being inclusive. They're coopting his/Aboriginal Australia's experience and giving it a whole "hey what about us" thing. "We're now offended so you just sit the hell down Adam and by the way that all happened a long time ago so doesn't mean anything"
In other words, "you're being an uppity aboriginal saying these uncomfortable things so how about you sit down and shut up and let us tell you what you should be feeling"
"And furthermore Adam if you don't talk in a way that's acceptable to us all your points are null and void and...hey get this, we're going to harass you and make your life so miserable you'll wish you'd never spoken"
Here's a tip. Adam's experience and those of Aboriginal people are NOT about you unless you're indigenous. It is largely because of white Australia that this has happened.YOU have no right to demean, comment or otherwise tell him to pipe down, be quiet, or otherwise denigrate. About time people stopped flapping their jaws and LISTENED.

So you don't like to think that I thought of a man as simply a man until I was taught to think otherwise?
See, now you're telling me what I think. Sometimes, a thing is what it is.

[........]

Assume nothing.

I think it also depends how a person identifies him (or her) self. If Goodes identifies as an Aboriginal person - which he clearly does - but someone says "I never thought of him as that", he may feel as though his identity is being undermined or dismissed. I apologise if you feel like I was telling you what you think - I certainly didn't mean it like that and I did feel like my wording was probably a little clumsy. I was just trying to express that that kind of thinking reveals the intrinsic racism that pervades our white society, and most of us do it without realising. I guess I've kind of said the same thing again, in different words, but if you do feel that it doesn't apply to you, then please dismiss and accept my apology.

good points made across the board, i can see both sides of the argument but I do find it strange how certain media commentators are saying "i have no idea why people would boo him at all", that said - he obviously doesn't deserve a full stadium of boo's

West Coast fans would boo at anything, even a pigeon landing on the goal umpire's hat.

... or perhaps some of them just went mad from the incessant clacking of knitting needles that they had to make some other noise to drown it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back