Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Goodes gave no thought to the fall out from singling out and making an example of a 13 year old girl at the MCG live on television.

13 year olds are vulnerable at the best of times, and who knows what bullying or abuse she had to encounter or how her mental health was affected as a direct result of Adam Goodes actions.

He did not have to make an example of a child, he knew he was when he did it and didn't care the consequences, maybe now he can relate to how she may have felt.

Karma is a bitch.
Yeah, you tell that Indigenous person how he should've reacted to being racially abused! YEAH!

Agree strongly with this.

The sobering reality is that Australia is a nation with a significant percentage of low-IQ rednecks.
No need to bring IQ into this. Remember people debate the effectiveness of it as a measure of intelligence and the cultural bias. I would also watch out mentioning mean IQ of different groups of people as it has been a controversial subject.

So now the Tigers, Blues, Cats and Saints hierarchy are telling me what to do and how to think.

Shut up whichever Scott brother is at Geelong. Shut up bogan.

Thats uncalled for and terrible. He does wonderful work off field with his charity and helping kids get educated.

The media are killing the AFL. I just feel like switching off after the last 3 years of rubbish.

I missed the days when footy was just footy.
saying that Goodes can go on to stealing hubcaps is acceptable. Really?

Didn't miss a game HairyO, not sure I can be any clearer than that

Starting to head off topic here, but: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Josh_Gibson.html

Have a look at 2013. He played R7 against Sydney, didnt play R8, did play R9 against GCS. So clearly he did miss a game. And it was after Sydney.

And as has been said by others, he missed because he was injured by Goodes.

The only thing that is actually in question here is whether it was deliberate or accidental. A lot of Hawk fans say it was deliberate, thus the booing by them.

Im going to assume that the standard response from Swans fans is that it was accidental. Or that Gibbo is a flog and he should toughen up. Or something like that.

That's not evidence, it's one person's opinion. Much like we've all been expressing our opinions, as have others in the media.

You've admitted you think there is a racial element to the booing. Do you still promote the booing?

I dont promte booing, I rarely attend games.

I will not support a lie however, the BIG lie is that;

Anyone/everyone who boos Goodes is a racist

This is a lie, I know it, and you know it as well I think.

Do you support this AFL view or not, do you support a lie?

Whats the next lie you will support??

Adam Goodes gave no thought to the fall out from singling out and making an example of a 13 year old girl at the MCG live on television.

13 year olds are vulnerable at the best of times, and who knows what bullying or abuse she had to encounter or how her mental health was affected as a direct result of Adam Goodes actions.

He did not have to make an example of a child, he knew he was when he did it and didn't care the consequences, maybe now he can relate to how she may have felt.

Karma is a bitch.

Yes i'm sure he confirmed her age by reading the birth certificate that was stuck to her forehead.

Much like the dunce cap on yours!

she was a child and he humiliated her - two wrongs don't make a right.
He should've reacted like a good white man. Not in that appalling way he did, I agree. Clearly we know better how racial abuse should be reacted to and handled.

Karma is a bitch.
He pointed out someone in the crowd who was shouting racist abuse at him. I will support that every day of the week, as should anyone else with any form of human decency.

Afterwards he found out she was 13, met and discussed it with her, and went to great length to speak out saying it wasn't her fault and that it was something everyone could learn from: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-25/goodes-gutted-but-places-no-blame/4712772

But hey, if you want to hate the guy for not tolerating racist abuse, go for it.

I dont promte booing, I rarely attend games.

I will not support a lie however, the BIG lie is that;

Anyone/everyone who boos Goodes is a racist

This is a lie, I know it, and you know it as well I think.

Do you support this AFL view or not, do you support a lie?

Whats the next lie you will support??
Nobody's saying everyone who boos is a racist. However some people, including yourself, are.

Guarantee when this bloke goes into politics you little Sydney sycophants will turn on him quick smart

Will be a good thread to look at in 5 years time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the boos were completely separate from the slurs that were made by a couple of spectators. He is boo'd because he is their best and talented player. The crowd are trying to put him off, and hoping he makes an error. This is not only part of afl but almost every sporting code. Early in the game, the umpires made some dubious decisions and were boo'd adamantly. Was this racially motivated? no. Was this directed specifically toward a particular person for his background? no. It was because they were trying to let the umps know they weren't happy with the decisions and we're trying to affect the outcome by swaying future calls. Media is stirring this up cause that gets viewers and people connecting what's not really there are inadvertently feeding the fire they are trying to quell. Most won't agree with me, this is just my opinion.

Who has admitted that they boo him because hes aboriginal? Quotes please.
Sadly i have read most of this thread and i dont recall reading that
Seriously? This thread has been full of racist comments from questioning Goodes heritage, to disputing "ape" is even racist to Aboriginals, to excitement over the prospect of throwing bananas at him (yes, that happened.)

He's one of the only indigenous players willing to deliver some home truths. Most others, as is their right, prefer to focus on football.

He's like Mohammed Ali. Don't forget Ali was hated; he spoke about war and racism in society.

Goodes is like Ali. And all the racists in this thread need to come to terms with the fact they are happy to share this country with non-white people only when they keep their mouths shut.
Ali was 'hated' because he showed no humility and was extremely divisive in his choice of words.

He called one of the greatest boxers in history an 'Uncle Tom', which, as I understand it is one of the most offensive terms at the time - and probably still is.
He also said Frazier was "working for the enemy", that enemy being unclear, but understood I believe to be the 'whites'.

Ali was also a proponent of dehumanizing hate-speech at the time.

The parallels between Goodes and Ali are interesting however.

Good post Robbie. However Goodes mixing sport and politics is like combining glycerol and nitiric acid.

I have no doubt there are elements of racism at the footy, no doubt at all. In fact it exists in every corner of society. But highjacking our beloved game for ones' own political agenda and then labelling all and sundry who tell you to take it elsewhere as racist is looking for trouble.

Your defensive stance is admirable and commendable, but I feel that in your blind defence you may also be missing the point that thousands of people are there who just want to leave politics (and all their other woes) behind for 2 hours and simply enjoy a game of footy.

Just my observation.

I understand that position. Personally, I struggle to be so clear cut in what is political and what isn't (I'm a political philosophy PhD, goes with the territory...). I'd also say that sport has a great track record as a may of breaking down divisions and prejudice. After all, on the sporting field we are in many ways allowed to function in a system in which racial, religious, political etc. differences are et aside and we reveal the fundamental truth that we are all just human beings and the similarities that unite us should be far stronger than the differences which divide us.

The problem, though, is that if that is what people want, for the political to be left out and we just get back to the footy, then the rational response would be to stop booing him every time he touched the ball because at this point it is clear that all it does is perpetuate this situation. This thread has demonstrated that there are plenty of people out there who are booing him for reasons to do with the stands he has taken, for his race, and the discussion has quite clearly got to the point where there is a mainstream position that anyone who continues to boo is at best just providing cover for those elements in the crowd. The only way to stop this being an issue now is to stop the booing.

The West Coast crowed crossed a major line, they went from banter straight to vilification of a person, regardless of how justified some of those rednecks feel they have, they were a blight on what it is and how we as Aussies should behave.

So calling the crowd "rednecks" is ok then?

He should've reacted like a good white man. Not in that appalling way he did, I agree. Clearly we know better how racial abuse should be reacted to and handled.

No he should have reacted like a man.

He pointed out someone in the crowd who was shouting racist abuse at him. I will support that every day of the week, as should anyone else with any form of human decency.

Afterwards he found out she was 13, met and discussed it with her, and went to great length to speak out saying it wasn't her fault and that it was something everyone could learn from: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-25/goodes-gutted-but-places-no-blame/4712772

But hey, if you want to hate the guy for not tolerating racist abuse, go for it.

What, you don't think he is intelligent enough to have recognised she was a kid at the time? Give me a break. He flew off the handle and didn't think about the consequences of his actions, he tried to handle it differently after the fact, but the damage was done.

He did a bad thing and people didn't like it.

Nobody's saying everyone who boos is a racist. However some people, including yourself, are.

Good grief, for the love of god, the AFL, clubs and players have clearly stipulated that;

if you boo Goodes, you are a racist, bigot and a moron

Do yoou support this lie?

If you do support this lie, what other lies are you prepared to support?

Its that simple, what is the truth, what is a lie.

You get to choose.

You choice reflects on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back