Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, he'd a have a strong case to sue the AFL right now.

Strong Case for what?

He should be done for bringing the game into disrepute and for inciting racism

Could maybe sue the AFL for being weak in not punishing him

If being offended isn't a personal choice then there should be some objective way to measure offense. There isn't, because it relies wholly on the individuals perception. Which can change.
I've done a bit of reading on taking offence today and I take your point on this. I was arguing that he has no choice in his perception of offence however he can choose how he responds. Which is similar to the philosophical definition of taking offence. It is putting aside your immediate reaction and working through to understand where the other person is coming from.

Having no control over the offense YOU TAKE (offense can only be taken, not given) implies no free will. By saying Goodes has no choice other than to be offended YOU are saying he has no free will. YOU are likening Goodes to an animal.
However, I still don't think you should have called him an animal. Responding based on his immediate feelings doesn't make him an animal, all humans do it.

Adam Goodes' Australia Day Speech (am I missing something here, seems pretty good to me):

“It’s an honour to win an award for doing stuff that you love and that you believe in. For me, I chose that life is all about actions and interactions. I believe that our choices and how we interact with each other creates our relationships and this in turn creates the environment that we live in.

Our environment shapes our communities which then shapes the country that we all live in. Growing up as an indigenous Australian I have experienced my fair share of racism. While it has been difficult a lot of the time, it has also taught me a lot and also shaped my values and what I believe in today. I believe racism is a community issue which we all need to address and that’s why racism stops with me.

There are always two ways we can look at a situation. We can choose to get angry. Or not. We can choose to help others. Or not. Or choose to be offended. Or not. We can keep our silence or educate ourselves and others about racism and minority populations.

It is not just about taking responsibility for your own actions but speaking to your mates when they take out their anger on their loved ones, minority groups or make racist remarks. It means treating people the way you want to be treated, whether that’s your manners, the way you talk to people, whether they are your loved ones or the person serving your dinner. It’s about how you choose to give back and make a difference to those around you, your community or your country that goes outside of just yourself.

I believe we are all connected whether we like it or not. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations, indigenous populations and all other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian.

I’m not here to tell you what to think, or how to act to raise your children. All I’m here to do is tell you about my experiences and hope you choose to be aware of your actions and interactions so that together we can eliminate racism.

I’m so grateful for this award and this honour, however the real reward is when everyone is talking to their mates, to their families and their children, having those conversations and educating others about racism. What it looks like, how hurtful and how pointless it is and how we can eliminate it.

The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it’s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day.”

Hmm, okay, so why does racism stop with him? Surely Goodes realises he is an ant in the world scheme of things.He can make a difference for sure about anything he likes including indigenous relations, but it does not stop with him nor it is on his shoulders surely!

Also if we are all equal why is RFC wearing an indigenous jumper since it does not address the issue of booing for all that would ideally be equal players, but only supposed race boos that may have gone to Goodes and other players of indigenous backgrounds?

Racism and bullying are bigger than the game.

The booing idiots have made themselves bigger than the game. By carrying on with this disgrace they have humiliated the game with the national headlines they have caused. This is making news in the northern states and being used by fans of every other code to paint us all with the same brush. If the cowards cared about anyone besides themselves they'd stop.

They are the minority. The booers. Can we ignore them? I can.

Seriously? How is this anything but respectful?

If you still hold the same view after reading that (the ACTUAL facts) you are beyond help.

I've got no problem with that Adam said. But I am amazed that he or his script writer were so ignorant to think that saying this "very much the feeling of invasion day" wouldn't cause a negative reaction.

From the article in the post you just replied to:

"At the ceremony, Goodes admitted Australia Day celebrations prompted mixed emotions.

“There was a lot of anger, a lot of sorrow, for this day and very much the feeling of invasion day,” he said.

“But in the last five years, I’ve really changed my perception of what is Australia Day, of what it is to be Australian and for me, it’s about celebrating the positives, that we are still here as indigenous people, our culture is one of the longest surviving cultures in the world, over 40,000 years.

“That is something we need to celebrate and all Australians need to celebrate.

“There are people out there thinking that today is a great day for Australia — well, it is.

“It’s a day we celebrate over 225 years of European settlement and right now, that’s who we are as a nation but we also need to acknowledge our fantastic Aboriginal history of over 40,000 years and just know that some Aboriginal people out there today are feeling a little bit angry, a little bit soft in the heart today because of that, and that’s OK as well.”"

Where is the denigration of Australia Day in that?
Shane Warne against the AFL/Media campaign to, Slowly more will stop believing what is fed to them via the AFL and the media. Boo-ing has nothing to do with racism.
I can foresee an amazing sweeping seachange leading to moral, intellectual and political enlightenment in Australia lead by ...wait what ...Warney?

Ive been thinking about this and Ive come to the conclusion that I reckon its gone too far. Im not a fan due to actions like the one posted below but I think its time to let it go. Funny how the media pulled his "invasion day" comment out of context at the time but are now keen to make sure the rest of what Adam said is heard. Unfortunately the damage is done. Problem now is what happens if he does repeat an action like the one below? The crowd may boo and this whole s**t storm will resume.

Did he get suspended for that?

Good link.

Another thing that has escaped people is that on that same night Eddie came on pretty strong about the offender was going to have their membership stripped etc. so where is the 'she was just a child' howling at Eddie?

Whole thing is nuts. The people who are hiding behind the 13yo girl to justify their subsequent behaviour aren't exactly helping, and likely not being entirely honest with themselves.
Can confirm that Eddie has been booed every time he has taken posession or gotten involved in a contest this year

So why are you still going with it?
since the post you quoted ?...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The booing idiots have made themselves bigger than the game. By carrying on with this disgrace they have humiliated the game with the national headlines they have caused. This is making news in the northern states and being used by fans of every other code to paint us all with the same brush. If the cowards cared about anyone besides themselves they'd stop.

Never been a problem till Goodes arrived on the scene and later in his career to

Now i don't know if this has already been posted, but here it is if it hasn't.
Wilson and Brereton go toe to toe over the booing.
Now if there is somebody you don't want in your corner its Wilson.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...adio-station-sen/story-fni5ezdm-1227460701660
Yep better to have a cowardly grub who kicked a player in the head because he was sledged by his former team mates and racially vilified a great indigenous footballer Chris Lewis.

“There was a lot of anger, a lot of sorrow, for this day and very much the feeling of invasion day,” he said.

This bit.

And if you can't see how

I've got no problem with that Adam said. But I am amazed that he or his script writer were so ignorant to think that saying this "very much the feeling of invasion day" wouldn't cause a negative reaction.

Because in the context of what is said, he is saying that he has moved on from that? "There WAS a feeling..." He's saying that this a view he no longer holds, and is willing to move on. Which is pretty bloody magnanimous considering the history.

And if he did, could you blame him? The date literally commemorates the British claiming the land - January 1788 and this land ceased to be theirs alone. Wouldn't you feel a bit aggrieved if that happened to you? It's only words, he's not asking you to do anything, we don't all have to move back to England, he's simply asking you for some compassion about some sadness that surrounds that date. Pretty weak if that's too much to ask.

They are the minority. The booers. Can we ignore them? I can.

I cringe every time I hear the boos and racist comments directed at Goodes in recent times. Makes me embarrassed to be a football supporter, and hence associated with these people, I find it pretty hard to ignore.

I'll make it simple for those slow on the uptake:

If you boo Goodes for what he does on the field, you're not a racist.

If you boo Goodes for what he does off the field, you are.

It's not really that hard to understand.

Another completely ignoring context. Invasion Day? Think again. Maybe read the actual speech instead of relying on hearsay.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-really-divisive/story-fnia3v71-1227463023081

Go listen to the AD speech - he says nothing of the sorts.

Yeah I've gone back and edited my post. Australia Day doesn't really hold my interest so I've never bothered to look into it and just went off what others were saying, my bad.

I've left just the pertinent parts.

Absolutely. As is player welfare via the mental health of the players. In this particular case Adam Goodes.
If being offended isn't a personal choice then there should be some objective way to measure offense. There isn't, because it relies wholly on the individuals perception. Which can change.

Having no control over the offense YOU TAKE (offense can only be taken, not given) implies no free will. By saying Goodes has no choice other than to be offended YOU are saying he has no free will. YOU are likening Goodes to an animal.
I reckon I could test your free will quite easily by walking up to you and saying one or two things to your face you would take offence to.

In other words, it's easy in principle but not quite so easy in practice not to take offence.

You're being silly now. It has nothing to do with headline or intellect. Adam didn't respect all of the other Australians who are proud of Australia Day. Denigrating Australia Day is going to piss some people off. For him to now cry foul just shows how clueless he is.
I don't know where to go but I'll give it a go:

Millions of people around the world celebrate Christmas Day. Some religious, some not. But it is a cultural institution that brings people together, makes people appreciate family and experience some joy of giving to loved ones, feasting etc.

I don't celebrate on the 25th of December. My older brother and younger sister were killed by a drunk five years ago on December 25. So for me, Christmas Day is a symbol of something different, and something horrible and sad.

I do wish people a happy Christmas (as AG wished the nation, including you a happy Australia Day) and I don't begrudge others their festivities.

Mmm. Guess I'm divisive.

The further this thread goes the more it seems people aren't booing Goodes because they're racist - they're booing him because they've never actually researched into the reasons they believe make it reasonable to boo him. How many times does that AOTY speech need to be posted? How many times do his COMPLETE comments re: the "ape" girl need to be posted? At this stage, people are either willfully ignoring evidence that goes against their position or they're not willing to engage in the research and are just gobbing off based on headlines and word-of-mouth info.

The "We boo because he's dirty/a diver" arguments have been roundly shot down as nonsense, as SJ, Lewis and Thomas don't receive the same treatment.

The "He bullied a 13-year old girl" claims hold no water when you read his actual quotes and consider what actually happened.

The "He used the AOTY pulpit to attack Invasion Day!" reasoning has been shown time and again as an utter falsehood.

What's left? "I boo because it gets under his skin?" Good for you, you're a primary school sandpit bully. "I boo because the AFL can't tell me what to do!" Cool, you're obstreperous to the point where you're happy to boo a man when you know he, his team-mates, many players around the league and many fans find it distasteful. Congratulations, you are incapable of restraint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back