HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Warrnambool
Koroit
Port fairy
North
Terang

Holmer back for port will make a big difference, don't know if the seagulls can do much damage in finals but I think they will finish third. Still out of Koroit and Warrnambool for the flag.
I tend to agree with you, north don't have the depth this year to cover injuries and will fall to 4th if not 5th. Would be a tough final if terang can get players back. Ports bottom 6-8 players don't match it with wbools or koroits and in finals they will be found out I think.
Koroit
Wbool
Port
North
Terang

Both terang and north can't afford any more injuries though.

I tend to agree with you, north don't have the depth this year to cover injuries and will fall to 4th if not 5th. Would be a tough final if terang can get players back. Ports bottom 6-8 players don't match it with wbools or koroits and in finals they will be found out I think.
Koroit
Wbool
Port
North
Terang

Both terang and north can't afford any more injuries though.

I still reckon Warrnambool will win it. They have had their fair share of injuries. They have been cruising, don't forget they were a 8 goal better side than anyone all last year until the grand final. I know Koroit have picked up a few good players but I still tip the blues.

Not sure about Warrnambool - lost Rowan from last year and you couldn't rely on McIntyre being on the ground in the finals. Koroit going along nicely. Port Fairy have improved and their out of towners this season are finally offering better value for the big $$$$. Never quite sure with what you will get with the Eagles but they do seem to have trouble with the sides above them. Terang- is their best good enough - a tough ask from a likely 5th position.

Not sure about Warrnambool - lost Rowan from last year and you couldn't rely on McIntyre being on the ground in the finals. Koroit going along nicely. Port Fairy have improved and their out of towners this season are finally offering better value for the big $$$$. Never quite sure with what you will get with the Eagles but they do seem to have trouble with the sides above them. Terang- is their best good enough - a tough ask from a likely 5th position.
Yeah port fairy continue to impress will be interesting against Warrnambool this week.. Port are able to kick some big scores and have been really exciting to watch. Hopefully they back the attacking style against Warrnambool and have a shoot out!
Koroit going well. Few injury concerns tho.
Terang only just over hamilton. Apparently kicked 5 in the first 5 minutes and 5 in the last 10 minutes to win the game by 2 points! Anyone see this game? Are terang only just chugging along or were hamilton good?

I think the comp is really good condition. The bottom 4 sides are playing a lot of kids but they are still really competitive, the top sides are more experienced and it shows. What I'm saying is there is no team that are really struggling or can't see a bright future.
Don't listen to old blokes who try and tell u that it was better back in their day. The Comp is as heathy as ever!

Yeah port fairy continue to impress will be interesting against Warrnambool this week.. Port are able to kick some big scores and have been really exciting to watch. Hopefully they back the attacking style against Warrnambool and have a shoot out!
Terang only just over hamilton. Apparently kicked 5 in the first 5 minutes and 5 in the last 10 minutes to win the game by 2 points! Anyone see this game? Are terang only just chugging along or were hamilton good?

I think the comp is really good condition. The bottom 4 sides are playing a lot of kids but they are still really competitive, the top sides are more experienced and it shows. What I'm saying is there is no team that are really struggling or can't see a bright future.
Don't listen to old blokes who try and tell u that it was better back in their day. The Comp is as heathy as ever!
What about cobden, they have been pretty poor this season and I don't see a lot of upside for them. Hard place to recruit players to also. Otherwise I tend to agree with you that most other bottom teams do have good kids coming through and show positive signs.

Port fairy really do look like they could do some serious damage come finals, wbool have a few injuries and blokes not playing (trav) which will hurt. And North seem to be getting a key injury each week, making it tough for them come the business end of the season.
Terang just don't seem to be playing good footy and its hard seeing them going deep in finals.
Port fairy are a real dark horse now for a grand final birth. But koroit look certain to be there from my view.

I agree that Port Fairy can go deep in the finals, not sure if they can win it, but they sure as hell can give Warrnambool and Koroit a fright!! I've watched them twice this season and they are bloody exciting to watch and that was without Holmer and Rudolph. As far as the bottom sides go yes they are all young sides, but they have to be able to hold onto those young players, which is difficult in a place like Portland where the majority will head off to uni.

Mctyner gone. And I reckon wbool with him. I don't think they have enough to win it this year now.

if they don't finish third I think they will still make it anyway. I have them ahead of wbool and north. Koroit will be tough, but with holmer and Rudolph in now they look strong in all areas apart from maybe the bottom 4-6 players. It's not fantastic that they have payed a lot of imports but it would be good to see someone else other than Koroit vs wbool in it.

if they don't finish third I think they will still make it anyway. I have them ahead of wbool and north. Koroit will be tough, but with holmer and Rudolph in now they look strong in all areas apart from maybe the bottom 4-6 players. It's not fantastic that they have payed a lot of imports but it would be good to see someone else other than Koroit vs wbool in it.
Absolutely agree 100% Tom150, be great to see someone else in the GF other then Koroit and Warrnambool. God knows what Port Fairy are paying on player payments or how they are doing it, but I suppose they have to do something like that because they can't rely on local players in a town that size. Similar to Hamilton and Portland.

Absolutely agree 100% Tom150, be great to see someone else in the GF other then Koroit and Warrnambool. God knows what Port Fairy are paying on player payments or how they are doing it, but I suppose they have to do something like that because they can't rely on local players in a town that size. Similar to Hamilton and Portland.

I would suggest (?) that Cobden, Camperdown, Terang/Mortlake would all have significantly less population than Portland & Hamilton. I didn't include Koroit & Port Fairy as they also draw from Warrnambool's population.

I would suggest (?) that Cobden, Camperdown, Terang/Mortlake would all have significantly less population than Portland & Hamilton. I didn't include Koroit & Port Fairy as they also draw from Warrnambool's population.
Yeh your right blythe, Those towns you mentioned are a lot smaller then Hamilton and Portland, although I have been told they have a large area to pull from. But they to have the same problem with their kids going off to uni.

I thought Portland draws the swdfnl players and hamilton draw from swdfnl and mininera leagues to make them strong clubs . They have been dissapointing since there move and I thought they would be right up there from the very beggining.
Was it the right move, should they have stayed in western border? On the plus side for swdfnl and mininera they've gotten a little stronger recruiting the players that otherwise would be playing for the old hamilton sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Portland draws the swdfnl players and hamilton draw from swdfnl and mininera leagues to make them strong clubs . They have been dissapointing since there move and I thought they would be right up there from the very beggining.
Was it the right move, should they have stayed in western border? On the plus side for swdfnl and mininera they've gotten a little stronger recruiting the players that otherwise would be playing for the old hamilton sides.
No, it's been the opposite, clubs like Heywood, Tyrendarra and Westerns have been draining a lot of players from Portland ever since Heywood joined SWDFL.

No, it's been the opposite, clubs like Heywood, Tyrendarra and Westerns have been draining a lot of players from Portland ever since Heywood joined SWDFL.
Really. Is that due to the travel factor for Portland? Fair way to travel.

Really. Is that due to the travel factor for Portland? Fair way to travel.
Travel may have a little to do with it, they have 3 x hour and a half trips per season. Although In the western border league they had a hour and a half trip to Millicent. The club wasn't at its strongest when they joined hampden league, then when they got rid of Holty for Myles that was when the players started to leave. Hopefully they can hold onto their good kids for next season and get some of the local players back from the district leagues. I have heard Craneys got some players coming from Adelaide. But we won't know til next year I guess. As a long time Portland supporter it is hard watching them not being competitive, they were usually around the mark come finals time in WB.

Travel may have a little to do with it, they have 3 x hour and a half trips per season. Although In the western border league they had a hour and a half trip to Millicent. The club wasn't at its strongest when they joined hampden league, then when they got rid of Holty for Myles that was when the players started to leave. Hopefully they can hold onto their good kids for next season and get some of the local players back from the district leagues. I have heard Craneys got some players coming from Adelaide. But we won't know til next year I guess. As a long time Portland supporter it is hard watching them not being competitive, they were usually around the mark come finals time in WB.
I don't know why they got rid of him. Seemed to be a good leader for the club. Yeh true there would be some promising talent in the u18s. Where are the Adelaide boys playing now? Sanfl or surburbs. Might demand some $? I don't think itl take to much to turn it around next year. Only have to look at port fairy, although I hear they are paying a fair bit for it.

Has been hard not seeing them win more games Go Tiges but great watching the kids development. If they can keep existing players and add Three key position players Portland will be pushing back up the ladder. Imagine will loose some to uni though.

I don't know why they got rid of him. Seemed to be a good leader for the club. Yeh true there would be some promising talent in the u18s. Where are the Adelaide boys playing now? Sanfl or surburbs. Might demand some $? I don't think itl take to much to turn it around next year. Only have to look at port fairy, although I hear they are paying a fair bit for it.
I've only just heard about Craneys mates playing next year, not sure who they are or where they are from, it might only be a rumour as well. Having Keppell Prince back up and running will give opportunity for more employment which should help us out. Also have been told that they are keeping all their kids other then Jake Edwards who is going to uni, he'd be going to rebels next season anyway. All those good kids with a season or two of senior Hampden league footy under their belts, plus a few local coming back, chuck in a few key recruits and they should do alright next season.

I've only just heard about Craneys mates playing next year, not sure who they are or where they are from, it might only be a rumour as well. Having Keppell Prince back up and running will give opportunity for more employment which should help us out. Also have been told that they are keeping all their kids other then Jake Edwards who is going to uni, he'd be going to rebels next season anyway. All those good kids with a season or two of senior Hampden league footy under their belts, plus a few local coming back, chuck in a few key recruits and they should do alright next season.

That's the spirit Tige, onward and upward. Everyone gets 7 months of optimism - agree that Portland and Hamilton (particularly) have been disappointing but suspect better times will be around the corner. Hope you don't use the Port Fairy model, it worked this year but history has shown it can fall away very quickly / overnight. Sustained competiveness is what you need.

That's the spirit Tige, onward and upward. Everyone gets 7 months of optimism - agree that Portland and Hamilton (particularly) have been disappointing but suspect better times will be around the corner. Hope you don't use the Port Fairy model, it worked this year but history has shown it can fall away very quickly / overnight. Sustained competiveness is what you need.
There's no way Portland would go as far as Port Fairy with recruiting big gun players, nor will they have to, there's enough local talent kicking around to be competitive.
Anyway who do you boys think will be playing Koroit in the GF? I'd personally like to see Port Fairy, I don't think they can beat Koroit but I reckon they can make the GF

There's no way Portland would go as far as Port Fairy with recruiting big gun players, nor will they have to, there's enough local talent kicking around to be competitive.
Anyway who do you boys think will be playing Koroit in the GF? I'd personally like to see Port Fairy, I don't think they can beat Koroit but I reckon they can make the GF

Doesn't really matter - whoever it is will just be making up the numbers. The only side that hasn't got a chance of making the GF to play Koroit is Terang

Enough talk of Portland, it's been going on and on! Now it's finals time! The grand final will be between Koroit and Port Fairy. Will Port Fairy have the legs to win four games in a row? North and Terang will be out in straight sets. Can someone explain why Warrnambool last Saturday was 22 points up at 3 quarter time, scores were even nearly half way through the last quarter, then North end up winning by 32 points?

To be fair B/Boy the Portland lads seem to be one of the few teams that show any interest on this site. Yes it can be a bit one sided but you have to admire their passion. 4 games is a tough ask - let's hope Port still have enough $$$ left. The big question will be what happens next year with the seagulls???

Probably the romance of it but would love to see Port Fairy win the flag. Koroit the obvious favourites however so was Wbool last year. Would have backed Port Fairy in for GF had they finished third, think they are in the top two sides. Hope they still make GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back