HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see Port Fairy continuing to be strong, the dollars will eventually dry up won't they? Unless they can attract more players from warrnambool. Be interesting to see who leaves Warrnambool and Koroit at the end of the season. Not sure about Warrnambool juniors being simply the best, I might be biased but Portland u18s have played in the GF in its first two years of being in the league and would of been close this year if they weren't all playing seniors. I think on average 10/12 played seniors every week. A sad reflection of our lack of numbers this year.

Tige if that is the case of 3 years of top under age teams (allowing for this years 12 players in the seniors) then there is something wrong with the Tigers development program. Don't give me the crap about them all going away to university (all teams have this issue to some degree) - clearances would show that you did lose quite a few players to local teams. Terang manages to be competitive. There is no reason why the Port Fairy money will dry up - they have been spending big $$$ for a number of years now, it was just this year they finally got some value out of their recruits. North, Cobden, Camperdown and South played a lot of under 18's in their seniors as well. It is probably a reason why the standard of HFL football has dropped from the good old days when they were in the top 3 or 4 country leagues.If you checked Warrnambools senior team you would see that the majority of players are locals, it is a fact that Warrnambool retain the players they want to retain.

I would say Toka would take over as coach in 2017, that's my speculation. Things/plans/circumstances do change! Just like talk about W'bool's coach couple years ago was going to quit after the gf, and Josh Walter was going to retire. Josh must be the Johnny Farnham of local footy...lol. With the Koroit older guys playing their last games', I would say that some of them will fill in the reserves in future years, when the numbers are short. They are pretty club/community orientated people out there, that's why they are a great club even though they are not heavily resourced. With W'bool juniors, W'bool town does have a uni and jobs to keep a few of them in town, while Portland does not have a uni or as many jobs available to keep their kids. Portland is in an isolated area also. I do know that the district clubs is an issue too, in regards to competing for players.
sounds like you have abit of an idea Beachboy...anyway enough talk of Portland, hope you boys enjoy the rest of the finals series, I'll be back next season.

What's everyone's tip for the maskell?
I'm leaning towards Ben dobson to win it.

Last edited:

Boxheads off after this year around Australia and Staunton going overseas.. Two huge holes in terang next year. Could have a domino effect to

Terang/Mortlake had a great first quarter then went walkabouts afterwards. Too slow and probably ran out of gas after the last couple weeks. W'bool has got the class, finals experience and the leg speed. What impressed me about W'bool, even though their front half is not tall, there are lot of short people who are quick, skillful and all can kick goals. Koroit's backline will need to be on their guard next week, and they should put some of their quicker guys that are prepared to man up, in the back half. I think the gf next week could be closer then expected, if W'bool got the legs. We saw last year W'bool won the semi by 12 goals, looked hot favourites and got beaten in the gf. Koroit next week will win but only by 30 points, providing they are switched on and fire up. North W'bool beat the fancied Hamilton in the netball prem final today and will take on Camperdown next week. The netball gf next week will be very tight.

Terang/Mortlake had a great first quarter then went walkabouts afterwards. Too slow and probably ran out of gas after the last couple weeks. W'bool has got the class, finals experience and the leg speed. What impressed me about W'bool, even though their front half is not tall, there are lot of short people who are quick, skillful and all can kick goals. Koroit's backline will need to be on their guard next week, and they should put some of their quicker guys that are prepared to man up, in the back half. I think the gf next week could be closer then expected, if W'bool got the legs. We saw last year W'bool won the semi by 12 goals, looked hot favourites and got beaten in the gf. Koroit next week will win but only by 30 points, providing they are switched on and fire up. North W'bool beat the fancied Hamilton in the netball prem final today and will take on Camperdown next week. The netball gf next week will be very tight.

I guess the 2 best teams are in the G/F ,but reckon Koroit to still comfortably win. Warrnambool look a bit thin on the ground for me. Hamilton will be disappointed with the netball result

Koroit assistant Matt buck to coach south wbool? That's a strong rumour.

Beach Boy might be able to confirm if it's on the money Tom. It will be a few interesting weeks as clubs go about getting their coaches for next season - it seems to becoming a more difficult task each year to find someone.

Souths are still going through a process of picking out a coach, and at this stage no-one has been appointed as coach. There are 4 vacancies which are Souths, W'bool, Hamilton and Terang. Pud just resigned from coaching at Terang due to family reasons, which is fair enough. Before you guys ask me the next question, the answer is no. I have not put in my resume to those clubs that are looking for a coach...lol.

Beachboy you should reconsider - your southerners could do worse lol. Sadly for the leagues sake it seems the days of high profile coaches is gone - Wearmouth, Scholl, Harris, Turner, Haynes, Hinkley etc

Beachboy you should reconsider - your southerners could do worse lol. Sadly for the leagues sake it seems the days of high profile coaches is gone - Wearmouth, Scholl, Harris, Turner, Haynes, Hinkley etc
Blokes like that now are asking for to much coin, it hurts when other country leagues are paying huge amounts, hopefully the capping system brings it back a bit.. I still think wbool are capable of bringing in a big name!

I heard south are waiting for next week to announce their coach.
And mctyner is off to apparently. Which I think will help wbool a lot in retaining players..

Simon Okeefe back to pamnure? Was said to have been originally promised the Koroit gig after one year of returning but how could you not let dowie continue if he wanted it.

Blokes like that now are asking for to much coin, it hurts when other country leagues are paying huge amounts, hopefully the capping system brings it back a bit.. I still think wbool are capable of bringing in a big name!

I heard south are waiting for next week to announce their coach.
And mctyner is off to apparently. Which I think will help wbool a lot in retaining players..

Agree Tom, when you see the ex AFL players in the Ovens & Murray, Goulburn Valley & Geelong F/L it is no wonder the Hampden League has fallen away from the power it once was. Disappointing. I am not sure that the salary cap will work and how it will be policed - Warrnambool & District sides have thrown money around without care for what are average HFL players.

We are slipping a little bit here I'd like to know who you blokes think could possibly coach these sides and if they would be good choices? Who are the teams looking for a coach South? Terang & Hamilton?? Koroit would have to be a certainty this weekend with maybe another Goodall Masterclass in what I think would be his last ever game. Koroit by 53.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On twitter, there was a rumour that Jason Rowan could be a surprise selection this week. He did his knee in March, and a knee injury like that takes 9 to 12 months to heal. It's only been 6 months, and it would require divine healing for his knee to come good now. It would be a bit late to put Trav Graham in the side 2, because W'bool's forward line combination has worked really well this year, and why would you want to change it? There is no talk about Trav coming back in. Last 2 years we have seen 2nd semi final's results get reversed in the gf, but I don't see Koroit losing, but it will be alot closer. It's played on Reid which is W'bool home gound, and the wide spaces will suit W'bool's style of play.

No chance (zero) Jason Rowan will play this Saturday - put the house on it. Word is that the Graham boys will be in navy blue & white next year ............... ?????????? Koroit too tall and too good and it will be all over by half time Saturday , netball will be close - North if they can hold their nerve.

We are slipping a little bit here I'd like to know who you blokes think could possibly coach these sides and if they would be good choices? Who are the teams looking for a coach South? Terang & Hamilton?? Koroit would have to be a certainty this weekend with maybe another Goodall Masterclass in what I think would be his last ever game. Koroit by 53.

I reckon it will be at least the end of October before most clubs announce new coaches. It's not a thing that you should rush into - the question for me is will they be playing or non playing.

Koroit for me, and comfortably even if wbool put up a bit of a fight early.
Be great though if they could make it a contest though.
B.O.G to sam Dobson

Netball I think north but it's s coin toss really.

Koroit looked abit slow in the first half, but they were too strong in the second half. Credit to W'bool for putting up a good fight in the first half. They were too tired in the second half. Koroit were just so good after half time. Lots of wise heads, skill and height! I thought the Dobson boys, I Templeton, J Hausler and J McLaren were my best players today. Congratulations to Koroit for winning the premiership. Koroit might be a small club, from a small town, their players are paid next to nothing, but boy you just got to admire that club for winning 5 premierships since 2003. They are big on spirit, heart and talent. Their locals really get behind that club! Also North W'bool won the A grade netball premiership by 10 goals over Camperdown. North are young, fit, quick and very enthusiastic. Second flag in three years, while Camperdown have been runners up 6 times and no premierships yet.

Last edited:
There is a bit of whisper that Portland are looking at going back to the Western Border. I hope this is not true. Western Border is nearly dead and 4 clubs want out of that league. Those clubs will be joining the neighbour leagues. Portland is a Victorian team and the Hampden league is the premier comp of the Western District/ SE South Australia. There is no reason for Portland to leave, even though the travelling can be lengthy. If Portland does leave, it will be a blow to the Hampden league. Can you Portland guys please fill us in?
Haven't heard that one beachboy3, can't see that being beneficial. Like you said the Western Border league is dead in the water. I know Portland wouldn't be happy with their last two seasons, but it's still early days and they will improve.

Haven't heard that one beachboy3, can't see that being beneficial. Like you said the Western Border league is dead in the water. I know Portland wouldn't be happy with their last two seasons, but it's still early days and they will improve.
Agree Tige, can't see any value at all in going back to the Western Border League, correct that the W.B League is just about dead. Portland would recognise that and I am sure they will be OK, it won't be long before they are regular finalists.

I just firstly want to say it's awesome to see this page up and firing! Beachboy, Blythe, GoTiges and co you have all been doing a super job in my absence! I have been working construction in Melbourne for two months. I'm back on deck for some good discussion about the season that was and offseason ahead and season proper next year.
Congratulations to Koroit on their back to back premiership win. Adam Dowie is an elite coach in country Vic circles and will be knocking on the door of a 3 peat if he can retain his playing group and add a couple more to replace those older possibly retiring types.
Coaching rumours have been busy too I see! Chris Bant is fancied to take over the reigns at Terang/Mortlake.
Warrnambool looking at a playing coach, something big could be brewing there.
North Warrnambool have informed Brendan Murfett he is no longer required as senior coach which leaves Graham Twaddle at the helm for now.
South Warrnambool look set to name Koroit assistant Matthew Buck as coach this week.
Should be an interesting off season as clubs prepare for the points system to be introduced.
HampdenMad

I just firstly want to say it's awesome to see this page up and firing! Beachboy, Blythe, GoTiges and co you have all been doing a super job in my absence! I have been working construction in Melbourne for two months. I'm back on deck for some good discussion about the season that was and offseason ahead and season proper next year.
Congratulations to Koroit on their back to back premiership win. Adam Dowie is an elite coach in country Vic circles and will be knocking on the door of a 3 peat if he can retain his playing group and add a couple more to replace those older possibly retiring types.
Coaching rumours have been busy too I see! Chris Bant is fancied to take over the reigns at Terang/Mortlake.
Warrnambool looking at a playing coach, something big could be brewing there.
North Warrnambool have informed Brendan Murfett he is no longer required as senior coach which leaves Graham Twaddle at the helm for now.
South Warrnambool look set to name Koroit assistant Matthew Buck as coach this week.
Should be an interesting off season as clubs prepare for the points system to be introduced.
HampdenMad

Great to have you back H.M - we have missed your posts. Now all we need is to get some more posters.

Koroit were clearly the best side this season - Warrnambool were hammered by injuries / knee constructions to key players this season and simply ran out of depth. Still think it is the end of an era for Warrnambool. Which team will step up next season? It will be interesting to see how teams handle the player point allocations together with the salary cap

Good 2 c HampdenMad back! Don't forget Tom150 deserves a mention 2! I believe if Warrnambool had a full squad to pick from, inc Graham boys, and had one week off same as Koroit, Warrnambool would be just as good yesterday. Next year if a few from Koroit retire, and W'bool retain all their players minus Tim McIntyre, W'bool will be slightly favourites for the flag next year. W'bool has alot of outstanding young players what's got speed and skill. They will be more mature next year. It could come to who finishes on top, or how many weeks each team get off before the gf. This year in both comps, I noticed on a warm day, the team with a week or 2 off had an advantage come gf day. The team with no weeks off were leg weary with the help of the heat.

Last edited:
Good 2 c HampdenMad back! Don't forget Tom150 deserves a mention 2! I believe if Warrnambool had a full squad to pick from, inc Graham boys, and had one week off same as Koroit, Warrnambool would be just as good yesterday. Next year if a few from Koroit retire, and W'bool retain all their players minus Tim McIntyre, W'bool will be slightly favourites for the flag next year. W'bool has alot of outstanding young players what's got speed and skill. They will be more mature next year. It could come to who finishes on top, or how many weeks each team get off before the gf. This year in both comps, I noticed on a warm day, the team with a week or 2 off had an advantage come gf day. The team with no weeks off were leg weary with the help of the heat. With the change of coaching panel at W'bool next year, Trav Graham could be a chance to stay in my opinion, unless he gets a very generous offer from the district clubs. Trav is 2 good of a player not to play at senior level in a major league.

I have already called the Graham boys playing in Navy Blue next year ??????

Did hear about Portland going back to Western Border going back a while. Heard it from someone on the Western Border side of the fence. Havent heard any wispers down this way that i can recall. Hopefully Portland can have good recruiting over the offseason. Word is they have a couple in their sites last i heard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back