Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Brererton did? Are you fricken serious? That was never "part of the game."

As a North Melbourne supporter who was around during the era of the Krakouers the unrelenting vile disgusting s**t dished up by Brereton was never part of the way North Melbourne played or Essendon or Geelong or most other clubs.....

Brerreton made a conscious decision to introduce it into the game. Notwithstanding he probably wasn't the only one, but very few players resorted to that level of vilification. Had he resorted to that stuff today he would have ended up in court.

The only reason he apologised was after Michael Long and Nicky Winmar took their stand and even then they copped abuse for what they did. Just as Adam Goodes is copping today.
Derm is scum.

Agreed Bung.

Bung, just to be clear, given the above bolded highlight.

Do you support the lie that anyone who boos Adam Goodes is racist?
No I don't think anyone who boos him is a racist.

I do think they are joining in an activity started by those who were racially motivated though.

Sorry mate, you're arguing that only 30.8% think the booing is racist in the poll. My statement referred to the fact that most reasonable people who have commented on this thread have agreed that some of those booing do so for racial reasons.

ahhh... 'the fact' and 'reasonable people'. i get it.

your sentence does me no good though.

Last edited:

Do you think threatening somebody with assault for booing at a game is a positive course of action by Victorian based Sydney cheersquad members?

Do you think mentally pummeling another fellow human being for months on end, be it by bullying or by racism, is a more positive course of action.

One won't ever happen without the other!

I don't throw eggs by the way but............................!

Wow! That sounds a lot like "I don't boo him but............................."!

Or! I'm not racist but..................................."!

What Brererton did? Are you fricken serious? That was never "part of the game."

Just dealing in facts, chief.

Brereton, Tony Shaw, many of Chris Lewis' opponents over the years, Damian Monkhorst, these are just the publicised cases I can pull off the top of my head. You are suggesting the Krakouer brothers weren't racially vilified onfield?

Anything for a win. Up til 1995.

The fact is the majority of people booing him are not doing it for racist reasons. A very small minority are booing him because they don't like him as an aboriginal man. However, when the rest of the people boo him, they are giving the racist people the go ahead to be racist at the footy. They are siding with the racists and going "Yeah go on, he's a flog anyway". It's that green light for the *******s to be racist that means that although your booing may be for innocent reasons, you need to stop it when it comes to Adam Goodes.
I think you've pretty much summarised the situation perfectly.

No I don't think anyone who boos him is a racist.

I do think they are joining in an activity started by those who were racially motivated though.

well there you go, some are some are not, who would have thought.

But you are good with ejecting people from grounds who boo, put them on national TV and call them
racists and bigots?

How would you have had Goodes handle that situation?

(I am near certain this is the exact same discussion you evaded for most of yesterday)

Never evaded it at all... have said all along - Goodes meets with the girl, she apologies , he accepts her apology

Not a biggie ...he looks like he's done his bit ...she's made aware what she said was wrong

He has called her the face of racism, and then qualified it.

He knew she was a young girl when he turned around...meant nothing - he still went after her.

You can't insult someone and then give a reason as to why you've insulted them, and pretend the insult doesn't matter.

She wasn't cut the same slack. That statement from Goodes was premeditated and designed to get as much bang for the buck as possible out of the whole situation.

Do you think that, knowing the comment came from a child, what happened was appropriate and commensurate to the indiscretion?
Do you really need an interpreter to understand the point he was getting across or are you deliberately being obtuse?

Racism had a face...and it was a 13-year-old girl - This normal looking young naive person is the not so obvious face of racism (not someone with Swastika tattoos marching with the UPF).
but it's not her fault, This has to be tackle in the home starting with the parents.

Even with the full context surely you can see he was not trying to victimise her, surely?

Imagine all you want...it wasnt.

Reality always gets you :)

I'm just trying to get a sense of why people are so upset that Goodes called out a fan on who was making a racist insult. Is it because it was a female, a young female, a Collingwood supporter? Is it because she was white?

All these poeple saying "I don't like my footy served up with a side of anti-racist lecturing" seem to think that Goodes had some sort of palatable options here.

When that young girl called him an ape Goodes had two choices:

1. Make a stand against racism;
2. Suck it up like he probably has lots of times before (and like lots of his indigenous counterparts have across many sporting codes) and walk around with the feeling of having let down himself and his people.

He chose 1 and, depsite the revisionist crap going on this board and in the broader media, did everything is hos power to turn it into a positive outcome for himself, for the young girl and for the broader community in general.

You know its not like he went out to the coin toss with a megaphone and started lecturing the crown on race relations.

Regards

S. Pete

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if a white player had of pointed out a 13 y.o black girl from the crowd, and had her ejected, for calling him a convict.

Because white people have had a long and painful history of oppression and prejudice by blacks?

It was part of the game back then. It was made not part of the game in 1995 when Michael Long made his stand.
Sir Doug Nicholls and Syd Jackson - great indigenous footballers fought it in the 1940's and 1960's. It is a lie that is was accepted in the 1960s. What they mean is after the anti-discrimination acts they could be sued and they now practise a sly racism. I saw Bertie Johnson who played for North Melbourne hit a spectator on the head with the ball over the boundary line after he was racially vilified in the 1960s. Long is one of many indigenous footballers who resisted. It was the anti-discrimination law that made his protest effective. These are the laws that the Sam Newman s of the world call political correctness.

Do you really need an interpreter to understand the point he was getting across or are you deliberately being obtuse?

Racism had a face...and it was a 13-year-old girl - This normal looking young naive person is the not so obvious face of racism (not someone with Swastika tattoos marching with the UPF).
but it's not her fault, This has to be tackle in the home starting with the parents.

Even with the full context surely you can see he was not trying to victimise her, surely?
So he wasn't intending to victimise her but despite his intentions she was victimised.
Like she wasn't intending to racially vilify him but through her actions he was racially vilified?

Since when is labelling people racists and bigots for booing ok?

The AFL and media is getting away with labelling the general population racists which is much worse than a bit of booing.

Protecting 1 individual whilst slandering everyone else in the process... and this deemed ok?

Never evaded it at all... have said all along - Goodes meets with the girl, she apologies , he accepts her apology

How dare you spout sensible reconciliation into this debate....How are we, the AFL, tHE Media & Goodsey suppose to milk it for all it's worth then?;)

She may not have been trying to be racist, and whether he meant to victimise her or not, that is exactly what happened.

Lack of intention is not always a defence.

well there you go, some are some are not, who would have thought.

But you are good with ejecting people from grounds who boo, put them on national TV and call them
racists and bigots?
Tough one. That's what we should be discussing, rather than going in circles with all the nonsense covered in the first 400 pages. What is the right way to handle it?

I think that given the huge publicity this issue has received this week, you couldn't claim to be ignorant of the fact that there is a racial element to some of the booing. You also know that it's taking it's toll on another human. I guess it's up to the individual to ask themselves if they're happy to join in with the racist element and continue tormenting the guy, or to move on?

I'm just trying to get a sense of why people are so upset that Goodes called out a fan on who was making a racist insult. Is it because it was a female, a young female, a Collingwood supporter? Is it because she was white?

All these poeple saying "I don't like my footy served up with a side of anti-racist lecturing" seem to think that Goodes had some sort of palatable options here.

When that young girl called him an ape Goodes had two choices:

1. Make a stand against racism;
2. Suck it up like he probably has lots of times before (and like lots of his indigenous counterparts have across many sporting codes) and walk around with the feeling of having let down himself and his people.

He chose 1 and, depsite the revisionist crap going on this board and in the broader media, did everything is hos power to turn it into a positive outcome for himself, for the young girl and for the broader community in general.

You know its not like he went out to the coin toss with a megaphone and started lecturing the crown on race relations.

Regards

S. Pete

Mate exactly how much sense can you make when you start with imagine.

There has been no positive outcome to this, are we not here.

He did lecture after, as is his right btw, no problem with that.

Some people have responded, as is there right.

But hey, you just think they are all racists even when most of them are not.

Support the lie, fight bigotry with bigotry.

Nice one.

BTW, I dont give a toss what Murphy or Carlton say, if they support this lie
then they are liars.

No I am saying that human behavior runs the full gamut of atrocious to wonderful, I'm not justifying anything at all I'm just pointing out the speciousness of your argument, we shouldn't be so insecure to be critical of all human behavior and that includes an aboriginal man's.

If your going to claim an excess of brutality on one cultures part, exceeding that of an other you better be as well read as you can be, there's nothing wrong with getting it wrong, I'm not justifying the holocaust or the gulags, I am saying that the internal historical violence of aboriginal culture like Papuan culture like prehistoric western culture is worse than the worst of 20th century western culture. Maybe you might consider what you don't know instead of being so sure of your opinions, and not be so insecure to have that lack of knowledge pointed out?
Yep those Papuans dropped an atomic bomb.

The funny thing about the hypersensitivity some Australians have about being called racists, is that the best example of widespread racism is how widespread, disingenuous and repetitive the campaign is to say we aren't racist whenever it gets brought up.

I'm white. Anyone who thinks there aren't a good chunk of Australians who can be a bit racist are either sheltered or lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back