Under Pressure - Billie Smedts

Remove this Banner Ad

How did his 6 clangers stack up against those players?

Let's just accept that Wells got this one wrong. He should not play another game for Geelong.
6 clangers included 3 free kicks against, 2 of which were dubious at best.

If we are looking for candidates who wasted the ball yesterday, look at Lang, Caddy, Murdoch and Taylor well before Smedts.

How did his 6 clangers stack up against those players?

Let's just accept that Wells got this one wrong. He should not play another game for Geelong.

His first clanger lead to Brisbane's opening goal; Taylor's first clanger lead to Brisbane's 3rd goal - so far they match. I can't name each of Smedts clangers nor could I name any of Murdoch's clangers, but I did noticed Taylor's yesterday yet he seems exempt from criticism for his performance which I question - no excuses for his errors yesterday, not from a player with his level of experience.

2 months ago Wells apparently also got the Murdoch selection wrong, there is also debate in the game review thread questioning the long term prospects of Kolo who has played 4 games. We need to stop chopping our kids at the knees when they aren't shown to be world beaters after 1 or 2 games and accept that they have to be given time to develop, time to mature and grow into their roles at afl level. Watching Walker over the last few weeks, he seems to be playing with a freedom that he hasn't done so with in the past - right now he seems to have received a message that he is going to have a decent run at afl level, that his spot in the side is safe so he can play with a freedom that isn't afforded to players that are continually looking over their shoulder and whose main concern is "if I don't perform I will be dropped" - what a good way to aid in their development where they aren't playing their natural game, where they focus more on not making mistakes rather than taking the game on and showing the coaches & fans what they can do because they fear if they turn the ball over they will be given the red vest and back to the VFL next week.

We need to back these kids in and give then an extended run at AFL - give Smedts the rest of the season and if we see no improvement then we reconsider his future, but to decide we need to delist him based on yesterday's game is a complete over reaction. He has been going great in the VFL lately, now he needs to be given time to transition into AFL, to pick up the pace of the game and show us what he can do - remember the kid has played 37 games (and surely a few of those as sub), not 137 games.

Yes, had a shocker in the first, mind you much of that was compounded by a couple of tough umpiring calls that went against him, was just one one of those quarters. Unfortunately, was at the worst possible time for him. Good to see CS try and lighten the mood and take some pressure off him at qtr time, smart.

I actually thought he was pretty reasonable after that. What I did like was that he seemed to be looking for the first option with his handballs more often and you couldn't question his intent, this a good baseline for him. We know he has elite evasive skills, so if he can do the basics right, string some games together and build some confidence and then learn to use evasiveness in the right situations, he could be a good player.

I knew people would be jumping all over after the first quarter ha

His first clanger lead to Brisbane's opening goal; Taylor's first clanger lead to Brisbane's 3rd goal - so far they match. I can't name each of Smedts clangers nor could I name any of Murdoch's clangers, but I did noticed Taylor's yesterday yet he seems exempt from criticism for his performance which I question - no excuses for his errors yesterday, not from a player with his level of experience.

2 months ago Wells apparently also got the Murdoch selection wrong, there is also debate in the game review thread questioning the long term prospects of Kolo who has played 4 games. We need to stop chopping our kids at the knees when they aren't shown to be world beaters after 1 or 2 games and accept that they have to be given time to develop, time to mature and grow into their roles at afl level. Watching Walker over the last few weeks, he seems to be playing with a freedom that he hasn't done so with in the past - right now he seems to have received a message that he is going to have a decent run at afl level, that his spot in the side is safe so he can play with a freedom that isn't afforded to players that are continually looking over their shoulder and whose main concern is "if I don't perform I will be dropped" - what a good way to aid in their development where they aren't playing their natural game, where they focus more on not making mistakes rather than taking the game on and showing the coaches & fans what they can do because they fear if they turn the ball over they will be given the red vest and back to the VFL next week.

We need to back these kids in and give then an extended run at AFL - give Smedts the rest of the season and if we see no improvement then we reconsider his future, but to decide we need to delist him based on yesterday's game is a complete over reaction. He has been going great in the VFL lately, now he needs to be given time to transition into AFL, to pick up the pace of the game and show us what he can do - remember the kid has played 37 games (and surely a few of those as sub), not 137 games.

I think a 2 time All Australian and one of our top 3 players has more credits in the bank then a 5th year player, whose played 35 games which could be described, at best, as poor.

I also disagree with the bolded as a blanket statement. We need to asses these kids continually, and see if they either have potential and will benefit from an extended run at senior level, or their performance justifies continued inclusion. Smedts performance doesn't now (and never has) justified continued inclusion, so it comes down to assessing his potential. We have a finite number of spots in our side, and gifting them to a liability with no future at this club is a huge mistake.

Anyway, I don't think he'll be dropped, but I expect his performance against Sydney will silence his defenders for good.

Smedts had 15 touches and 6 marks yesterday at 80% DE. That's well ahead of the average output of Kersten and Cockatoo this season and marginally ahead of that of Gregson.

Firstly, you need to compare like with like. Smedts didn't play in the forward line yesterday. A better comparison is with Thurlow.

Second, many of his disposals were short handballs so it's not hard to get a high efficiency score.

He also made several huge clangers which against a better side could have cost us the game. Not potting him. I think given an extended run of games he'll come good. But at this stage in the season we need to pick our best 22 and he's not in it right now.

Firstly, you need to compare like with like. Smedts didn't play in the forward line yesterday. A better comparison is with Thurlow.

Second, many of his disposals were short handballs so it's not hard to get a high efficiency score.

He also made several huge clangers which against a better side could have cost us the game. Not potting him. I think given an extended run of games he'll come good. But at this stage in the season we need to pick our best 22 and he's not in it right now.

Heat map says otherwise, he won most of his possession on the wing and in the F50

Under Pressure - Billie Smedts

Here we go. I stand corrected.

View attachment 158353

I'm curious to know Billie seems to be the only player being critised over his performance yesterday (and I did write a bit about him in the game review thread saying it wasn't his best game), because reading the game review thread and this thread one would think his performance was so sub-par he should be delisted on the spot.

Where is the question marks of Taylor's performance yesterday? In the second quarter he kicked the ball from the back pocket straight to a Lions player for their only goal for the term, he kicked the ball into the stands during the 3rd term when we were taking it down the wing, and again in the 3rd term he had a soft kick to Smedts who was breaking to the boundary line where there was space but instead he kicked it inside and straight to the Lions player - but I guess that last one would also be Smedts fault for not reading the poor kick from Taylor; plus Taylor seemed fumble across the match.

Yes Smedts had 6 clangers, but Taylor & Murdoch each had 4 with some of those also leading directly to goals, but on this board it seems we allow errors and off games from those settled in the best 18/22 but when a youngster is trying to breakthrough that we jump all over him for any mistake. 2 months ago we jumped all over Murdoch for his mistakes, and I'm quite sure some even saw him as trade bait but with him settling into a role and showing consistency since the Essendon game, we almost ignore the mistakes because of the good he does.

Yesterday may not be Billie's best game, but if you said when he came back into the side he would have 15 disposals at 80% I dare say most would have accepted it. So how about we give the kid a chance to learn from yesterday and grow in the AFL side, especially considering the number of chances with consecutive games other youngsters are and have been given to fast track their development.

Re : Taylor. He got knocked in a marking contest. Not sure what was the problem but he had 3 trainers round him then went down the race. When he came back on that's when he started spraying it all over the shop. Must have been still struggling from the hit.

I'm all for giving Billy a chance but we have to name our best side for the next few games and he's not in there. Looking at the players who are borderline. Rivers, Bews and Thurlow are better defenders. Stokes, GHS and Menzel are better midfielders. Menzel, Gregson, Kersten and Cockatoo are better forwards.

In order:

Stokes - agree
Horlin-Smith - maybe (he hasn't come close to last year's form yet)
Menzel - this is the same guy who hasn't played seniors in 4 years, and rarely if ever played as a midfielder? No he isn't.
Gregson - questionable
Kersten - very questionable
Cockatoo - no way

Totally disagree with this.

Seen him get crunched and put his head over it many times at VFL level against bigger opponents and with less protection from a lower quality of umpiring.
He;s under the pump and thinking of doing the right thing. He need site confidence and time to work his way back in. It was not a good game from him and yes he can do much better, but don't question his guts.

I saw him get crunched in a marking contest yesterday. Kept his eye on it and didn't flinch at all. The umpire paid advantage but to insinuate he's soft or gutless (a common pastime here) is just flat wrong.

I wish I could have taken bets at the start of the year about him becoming the whipping boy. Would have made a fortune.

Yes Smedts had 6 clangers, but Taylor & Murdoch each had 4 with some of those also leading directly to goals, but on this board it seems we allow errors and off games from those settled in the best 18/22 but when a youngster is trying to breakthrough that we jump all over him for any mistake. 2 months ago we jumped all over Murdoch for his mistakes, and I'm quite sure some even saw him as trade bait but with him settling into a role and showing consistency since the Essendon game, we almost ignore the mistakes because of the good he does.

Yesterday may not be Billie's best game, but if you said when he came back into the side he would have 15 disposals at 80% I dare say most would have accepted it. So how about we give the kid a chance to learn from yesterday and grow in the AFL side, especially considering the number of chances with consecutive games other youngsters are and have been given to fast track their development.

Sensational post, but especially the bolded.

I'd alter it slightly, it's not every young player who gets jumped on, just the ones that aren't liked. Right now, that's Smedts. And the tried and true (and idiotic) argument that goes with it; it's ok to give a ton of consecutive games to Murdoch and Blicavs (and even Kersten), but more than a few games in a row for Smedts? No, we can't have that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There you go. If two people think that I must have missed a chunk of it. He certainly started back and the mistakes that people are carrying on about from the first quarter were him in defence.
Billie passed to SJ for the first goal then, shortly after, missed taking a mark not far outside the 50 when he was on his own- the one that the commentators blamed on the sun being in his eyes.

Billie passed to SJ for the first goal then, shortly after, missed taking a mark not far outside the 50 when he was on his own- the one that the commentators blamed on the sun being in his eyes.
Keep reading on TC...

Smedts had 15 touches and 6 marks yesterday at 80% DE. That's well ahead of the average output of Kersten and Cockatoo this season and marginally ahead of that of Gregson.

Spot on thejester
To focus on a couple of mistakes and not look at the bigger picture is very shortsighted.
He has many attributes to be an AFL footballer and some deficiencies but a player who can find it 15 times at 80% shouldn't be written off this early
He has missed a truckload of games through injury just needs to string a few together to see how he develops- not dissimilar to Murdoch and look at how he's come on.
Disturbing trend on this board that someone always has to be in the gun , posters projecting their own inadequacies through others ?:eek:

Conversely to others I though Billie was pretty poor earlier in the season. Shockingly poor disposal at times and turnovers costing us goals.

Honestly can't remember his disposal being that bad, nor him costing us too many goals. Be interesting to watch a replay.

First 2 rounds for Smedts:
RND1 Disposal Efficiency - 100% from 11 touches.
RND2 Disposal Efficiency - 92.9% from 14 touches.
He has no idea what he is talking about.

Bit late but I just want to follow this up - have only just seen these posts. Clearly I was wrong about this, and not just a little bit, embarrassingly wrong. So I owe Billie a big apology and deservedly so. I'm still utterly astounded by these stats though - but they are right there in black and white. I don't watch the games on TV after going to the match so it's just based on what I see in front of me on the day. But you can't argue with that DE whatsoever. I just can't understand how what I am seeing in front of me translates into those numbers - but that is my problem, not his.

That said I thought he was pretty awful yesterday. I don't blame him for the missed set shot at all - every player misses those. Some of the other stuff was pretty woeful though. I don't know about elsewhere in the ground but where I sit he was being strongly mocked by a lot of our fans every time he went near the ball which is unfortunate. He needs a strong home game against Sydney to get the crowd off his back. And whether I like it or not he has been picked now and he deserves a run in the team to show what he can do in the firsts.

Haha. And you and I would do exactly the same :) But I've seen those heat maps before, so didn't ask. I'm just too stingy to pay up to see them all :(
I didn't know it was a paid feature. Can't imagine why it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back