Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
95% of the defenders of Adams Goodes Logic:

- Adam Goodes is Aboriginal
- Adam Goodes gets booed
- Therefore Adam Goodes gets booed because he is Aboriginal....

Funny how it seems to be the majority of people who dont watch football, or tend to only watch "their" team on some occasions seem to hold this mindset.

Apparently i boo because im promoting the oppression of the traditional land owners of Australia, in an attempt to somehow elevate white Australia and make sure Aboriginals are kept "humble". Here i was thinking i boo him because he acts like a f*cking knobhead
95% of attackers of Adam Goodes Logic:

- I'm white, therefore right
- I know racism better than any minority
- Lol flog

See, I can make things up to.

The reality is Adam Goodes has been taught by the disingenuous media that he shits ice cream, and white people are standing behind him with a whip. When the general public don't play along to the narrative he throws a hissy fit, goes into hiding and let's everyone else clean up his spilled ice cream.

Yes we ******* did. Jesus Christ. How often is this going to be trotted out? Both of them were hounded for what they did. Long was widely attacked in the media and taunted even by clubs for it with banners like the below and Winmar received death threats for a long time after. Can people stop with this revisionism that they took their stand and had the support of the majority / everyone learnt their lesson?
1995_Collingwood+banner_Sticks+&+Stones_sRGB.800.jpg
I'd never seen this crepe paper pacifier till now and really appreciate it. Is the full text available from the story online ? Unsurprisingly indifference to racism still exists ..From a banner that says "suck it up baby" to a crowd of people on Saturday night that obediently clapped at the 37 minute mark ... Look at how far relations have come.

Well...they've managed to milk this for all it's worth this weekend...do we get another week of this in the build up to Adam's triumphant return or does run until after Bob Murphy's 'Such a Nice Guy' award ceremony?

Define flog .....you've made sweeping statement

Clearly you've spent time with him one to one .WAS HE OVER FOR DINNER LAST WEEK

Just curious, but do you believe that someone who is indigenous is less likely to success in life than someone who is non-indigenous ?

One is an offensive gesture used to insult and offend and one isn't.

There's a fair difference.

and if people are reacting differently because Murphy paid a fine, how come they haven't let Goodes go when he's been suspended/fined for his "dirty acts" that are apparently one cause behind the booing?
I am just saying you started the comparison to prove a point than the reactions to Goodes must be racist. I am giving you some possibly non-racists reason to people's reactions. If you are now going back to saying one is an offensive gesture and one isn't, then clearly the two incidents are not that similar. Why start the comparison in the first place?

95% of attackers of Adam Goodes Logic:

- I'm white, therefore right
- I know racism better than any minority
- Lol flog

See, I can make things up to.
Here is how this conversation always goes.
- "I don't care what race he is, he is a flog and i disagree with how he carries himself and booing is the only way to get my opinion heard"
- "Na your being racists"
- "I clearly just said it has nothing to do with race..."
- "Yeah but hes Aboriginal so your being racists"
- "I have now said twice it has nothing to do with his race"
- "You don't even understand racism, you just don't get it"

Oh, and btw, making the assumption that because i'm white i must hold a particular view is racists in itself, good on you for being a bigoted hypocrite

Yes they go to the footy .....so why do they carry on, get drunk and carry on like a pork chops

Some education in cultural way is always A good thing

A welcome to country speech would take 2-3 minutes .....so your telling me out of three hours of footy as in time you're there you can't spare 3 minutes

Sorry what's the rush again ?

Stop trying to force your opinion down my throat

If I want to learn about Aboriginal culture I will go out of my way to learn more about it

I have had plenty of experience with blackfellas, so stop telling me I need education

Here is how this conversation always goes.
- "I don't care what race he is, he is a flog and i disagree with how he carries himself and booing is the only way to get my opinion heard"
- "Na your being racists"
- "I clearly just said it has nothing to do with race..."
- "Yeah but hes Aboriginal so your being racists"
- "I have now said twice it has nothing to do with his race"
- "You don't even understand racism, you just don't get it"

Oh, and btw, making the assumption that because i'm white i must hold a particular view is racists in itself, good on you for being a bigoted hypocrite
Psst: Did you see the bit where I said "I can make things up to"? I made it up. None of that was real!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Racism has a face' is different to 'The face of racism'?
Well that's rather disingenuous of you given the point I've been making all along is that Goodes' statement didn't stop at "has a face" and there was more to it which is continually chopped out or paraphrased.

Goodes statement was pretty simple.
It was, and the meaning was quite clear, which again is why I wonder why people feel the need to alter it.

Stop trying to force your opinion down my throat

If I want to learn about Aboriginal culture I will go out of my way to learn more about it

I have had plenty of experience with blackfellas, so stop telling me I need education

So you speak for everyone else do you and I'm not shaving down your throat ...you're choosing to view my post that way ...that's up to you

Most people like to learn...learning something about someone's else culture builds tolerance

By the way the term is aboriginal or Indigenous ....not black fellas .....

Thought you would have known that if you had spent time with them?

No, it's not racist because she was just a kid and she meant to insult him about his physical appearance but in a non-racist way. Not his skin colour. His physical resemblance to an ape: a big hairy man standing 6-3 and weighing 100kg

It was very unfortunate that she insulted him in a way that Goodes perceived as racist. (But it didn't make her or her remark racist.)

The silver lining in that dark cloud was that many ignorant adults were educated about the historical racist connotations of the word "ape" when it is directed at indigenous Australians. Consider that: Thousand of adults had no idea, but the masses were A-OK with the public shaming of a 13yo who had no idea.

A lot of people were unimpressed with the way Goodes politicised the event 14 hours later with a loosely-scripted speech that publicly shamed an innocent minor and her family as the "face of racism in Australia", and contributed further to her public humiliation.

How can Goodes expect all of the booers to respect his hurt feelings after he calculatedly milked his Nicky Winmar moment for all it was worth?
jesus christ really? she obviously saw goodes skin colour was dark and likened him to an ape, she meant the abuse, but as i said she wasnt old enough to know truely what she had done. and wtf? you are clearly exaggerating the aftermath, goodes supported her after, saying she was still so innocent and didnt know what it really meant, you make it sound like he tore the girl apart, i mean seriously he got called a highly offensive remark and reacted instinctively to it because it obviously hurt him, it makes me sick that people are calling him a s**t bloke because he got racially abused, and then to goodes credit he told everyone he made up with her and wanted to help her with it, how is that public humiliation? this whole thing is just sad, just dont boo the guy, how hard is it not to

You're always replying to my posts and making personal comments at me, but never responding to any points in make in my post. I'm not interested in that. Discuss the topic and stop being a judgmental flog about people who post their opinions.

Who cares if you think I have a dim view of humanity? Not me.
Actually I rarely reply to your posts.
Sorry to offend you though.

Just curious, but do you believe that someone who is indigenous is less likely to success in life than someone who is non-indigenous ?

In this country yes and the stats or numbers back that up .......and I work,with them ....I try bloody hard to empower then and I fight systems of racism

It's at the job interview stage where aboriginal people face their biggest challenge especially in the blue collar fields.

Many get disheartened after rejection for jobs. We need to build tolerance

So you speak for everyone else do you and I'm not shaving down your throat ...you're choosing to view my post that way ...that's up to you

Most people like to learn...learning something about someone's else culture builds tolerance

You responded to my post and I answered, just because you work in social services with aboriginal folk doesn't make you the only voice of reason.

I don't need to learn anything I don't already know

michael walters celebrates in front of his own fans. no problem. no one boos.

adam goodes and lewis jetta go right up to opposing teams fans after a goal and taunt them. people boo.

it's not rocket science.

In this country yes and the stats or numbers back that up .......and I work,with them ....I try bloody hard to empower then and I fight systems of racism

It's at the job interview stage where aboriginal people face their biggest challenge especially in the blue collar fields.

So you think they are inferior to white Australians ?

But, here's the kicker
Are they being rejected due to prejudice, or are they being judged equally, and missing out on the job, just as the White, euro, Sudanese, Maoris etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back