#33 - Brodie Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest, how does Smith's SANFL season rate against other Crows youngsters who are playing SANFL?

I have only seen the highlights of the SANFL finals but I get the feeling he was playing better than alot of our players already?

Well, he only played eight games at league level in 2010 so I guess that puts him a bit behind players who made it there for the whole season... but he's coming in with a much higher gradient :thumbsu: (And without the benefit of an AFL preseason behind him)

His stats after his league debut in round 16 were:

Round 16: 14D (9K, 5H), 2M, 1FA, 1T, scored 0.1.
Round 17: 20D (12K, 8H), 3M, 2FF, 1FA, 4T, no score.
Round 18: Bye
Round 19: 21D (10K, 11H), 3M, 1FA, no score, 4th best.
Round 20: 11D (5K, 6H), 1M, no score.
Round 21: Didn't play
Round 22: Didn't play
Round 23: 11D (10K, 1H), 5M, 2FA, 1T, scored 1.0.

Finals Week 1: 9D (3K, 6H), 1M, 2FF, 2T, scored 1.2.
Finals Week 2: 18D (15K, 3H), 2M, 1FF, 1FA, 2T, scored 1.0, 5th best.
Finals Week 3: 12D (11K, 1H), 4M, 2FF, 1T, no score.

Make of it what you will, I guess.

He was very very good at SANFL level, no doubt about that. He'll dominate for WWT this year.

One of his strengths is his ability to accumulate the ball, which alludes some of our other young mid prospects - Dangerfield, Sloane, Otten, Armstrong

Don't forget that both Dangerfield and Otten were absolute ball magnets at lower levels. Otten was picking up touches like crazy at SANFL level, and Dangerfield absolutely murdered the TAC Cup in 2008. Hell, Otten's pretty good at getting touches at AFL level.

Whether Smith can still be a ball accumulator at AFL level is still an unknown... but I agree, by all reports it's a strength of his. Willing to work hard both to win the inside ball, and also to gut run into position for a handball receive.

I haven't seen that vid of him before but the others I saw made him look far better.

There's one with him and Polec at league level where he looked excitingly comfortable and did some nice things.

I love that Smith can kick goals from 60 metres out, but in all the videos I've seen I haven't seen him take a contested mark. Am I missing something?

Have read a few people saying its one of his weaknesses.

I would say Dangerfield is a good one on one contested mark but other than the forward 50 how many making duels do you see him in? I dont see us playing Smith in the forward 50 too often. I dunno to me contested marking for a mid is not a high priority. Only thing that would be worrying is if he is having to do defensive shut down roles in defence, which he has had to do a few times in his league games correct??

To put Brodie Smith into context, think on this: midfield of the next few years. Dangerfield, Crouch, Brown, Smith, Mackay. And VB and Vince will still have a run through there as well.
Scott Thompson half forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That wouldn't hurt either.
Bassett has played Brown as a forward, defender and a mid.
Smith has been played as a runnung defender as well so far.

I got the impression we were intending to use Brown as a running defender rather than a mid.

I think Sando has said he wants a midfield group that consists of about ten players. I would assume mids/flankers/wingers are this group rotating through with a core of mids taking most of the midfield work at Centre Bounces. Bring Brown into this group.

Well after what could be Smiths true breakout game (in the sense the AFL world actually knows who he is) it is pretty funny reading this thread, especially issues with speed and kicking.

Hopefully he'll terrorize defenders for another 10 or so years.

Feel free to post your hopes, preferences, and thoughts on the player we will select with draft pick 14 here!

Brodie Smith seems to be the hot favourite for this pick, with various colder links to Heppell, Tape, Smedts, Jacobs, Prestia and Cripps. My hopes are Prestia or Smith.
Had a few now good players to choose from. Very happy with Brodie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back