#33 - Brodie Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Draft Pick #14 2010 - Brodie Smith - Post your thoughts here!

Well, I did post this about Smith when watching SA vs Vic in the U/18 Champs...

Brodie Smith looks very impressive.

Where is Smith projected to go? Really like what I've seen.

Draft Gorringe and Smith please.

The kid's kicking style is the only thing I worry about, everything else, he's golden. Superb work in close, equally as capable outside, great height, good pair of hands, he's a very solid pick. :thumbsu:

Might chuck on the Norwood vs Eagles PF to keep a specific eye on Brodes.

one less supporter for Port Adelaide. welcome to the Crows Brodie

Brodie was just on 5AA. Bit of a nothing interview but good to hear him anyway. Seems a pretty calm kind of lad, says he likes working hard and the weights room, which is good considering what his next four months will look like :eek:

Anyway, I recorded it so here you go!

brodie_smith.mp3 - 7.67MB

Very very happy with Smith. I had my heart in my throat when Smith, Smedts, Pitt & most importantly Atley were all available, but I'm going to back Rendell's call. I'm not particularly pleased with his preference for the local. I understand he said it was only in 50/50 cases, but I'm a strident best available fan. Having said that, as my sig indicated, Smith was one of the two players I was really keen to nab beforehand and I'm very excited about how he'll fit into our line up. Pencil him in for at least 5 games this year. Can't wait.

Fellow bigfootiers...

Yes it has been a while since my last visit, and yes it is partly assured i will not return.
All will enjoy this post of wisdom by the famous Porps_is_HOT_loz, who does not find Porps hot any longer.
Not being so much into the draft this year, or as my best friend Campbells Chunky would recognice.. I just research the youtube videos.. or look for the hot ones... Brodie Smith has been my favourite since the start. No, not because he is hot CC... because he is far from that!
Watching the championships and the SANFL at some points, I find his attributes are back shivering similar to number 2 pick last year - Jack Trengove. Since I do not 'scan' or have not visited this site in some time, I do not know if he has been 'compared' to him, but I just looked at his highlights and you can see similar aspects to his game. The way he glides through the midfield, the way he reads the ruckman perfectly and seems to find the ball and space well, the way he doesn't stop running - alot of things.
I find his slim physique is the only downside, as he could start round 1 if he was more built, but unfortunatly - nothing can always come in a package when you have pick 14. Alot would critisize his unique kicking action, but each player has their own 'thing' and who cares.. if it hits a target it will keep us all happy.
I hope Rendell and his magic drafting skills can prove all of us and experts that Atley was not the better choice.
Welcome to the football club Brodie....

Stab, thanks for the recording :thumbsu:

Brodie seems like a pretty level headed lad who has his eyes wide open and knows what is ahead of him

I would not be :eek: to see Brodie crack in and play some games next year

Just had a listen to the interview (thanks Stabby). Only one thing struck me:
Cornes and Rowe are seriously ****. Do they actually know ANYTHING about football at all? Do they do any research? Cornes kept going on about St. Michael's like Brodie was wrong about what school he went to and all Rowe has done since last Thursday is read the same bloody description he got off a website. Gee boys how about picking the phone up and ringing the Eagles coach to get a bit more insight?
They are pathetic and I have no doubt my wife could have put together a better interview with about 5 minutes prep time.

It is actually disappointing at how little research they did for the interview. It's not as though it would have been hard to read up on Smith, and hell, he's an SA boy. They could just have asked any of the guys who played with him/coached him for some insights.

Have they always been so unprofessional or am I just noticing it more recently?

KG was the one who always did the research. He use to make Cornes look good and then he way say something really dumb and make Cornes look better.

Same thing happens now with Rowie but they now both look bad at times due to their uneducated views.

Cornes' lack of real research and lack of detailed knowledge of players has always been there and has always been a source of annoyance to me - i remember years ago with KG he was interviewing someone (cant remember who) and didnt even know that they were on rookie list/main list ......... quite often doesnt even know who is actually on our list......

plus he runs his own agenda... hijacks interviews by butting in and going off on a tangent whereas we want to hear the interviewee!.....

Perhaps some of us on BF expect too much, given that the average joe blow supporter in the street knows even much less than Cornes...

I generally dont mind Rowey when he sticks to what he is good at.... analysing the play and players and particularly his knowledge of local SANFL.

Back to the thread topic re Brodie - he seems to have indirectly copped a bit of flack both on the forums and on the radio and print media about both his pace (lack of) and kicking skills and the implication seems to be that we overated him at pick 14. (Yet in the same breath Jacobs for Port has been made to be the steal of the draft) :confused:

Obviously, we wont know until years down the track, however, IMO too much emphasis is placed on those 20m times. In Smith's case, from what little i've seen in the SANFL and in the U18s championships, one could say that he is not a genuine speedster in the out and out sense, however, his strength is in the extremely quick thinking that he has and combined with his ability to very quickly get the ball to foot and the ability to clear it from congestion plus he does have an explosive first step and agility which enables him to evade and break a pack.
He most definitely is not a "vanilla" player as some of those "safe" adjectives used on him may imply.
I see in him a bit of Francou in the way he clears a pack combined with a bit of Judd in the way he attacks a pack and comes out with the ball.
I would love to see him get an extended run on the ball, in the midfield for us as an extractor.... and use Dangerfield more on a half-back line where he can run and carry and cross the lines.

Smith's kick is quite good from what i have seen, long and booming and reminded me a bit of Hurn/Griffen - i think observors in criticizing his lack of accuracy in kicking have forgotten the circumstances in which the kick was made - quite often Smith is in the middle of a pack and has (due to his quick thinking and quick ball to foot skills) managed to clear the ball out of a congested area with a booming kick.
I hope that he does not take too much notice of the criticism because his strength is that very quick ball to foot movement and if he starts second guessing himself then he will not play by instinct and hence lose that skill.
Certainly, someone like Tippett will appreciate a booming kick coming his way from a quick midfield clearance.

Everyone keeps saying Brodie will play games in 2011. I fail to see it to be honest. he would have to be fricken outstanding on the track to over take youngsters in the pecking order who have had two to three pre seasons under there belt. It will be an interesting year as what happens if we are sitting in the top 6 all year and occuring minimal injuries. we have 40 on the list yet we may only use 30 players.

Mechanically it is a bit dubious - lofts it a bit high and looks awkward. But he is usually in a position to have time to make the right decision. And when he is in clearance mode, he can get the ball on the foot very quickly and get it long to the right spot. I normally wouldn't worry about it too much, but Adelaide really do lack elite footskills.

I have no idea about his kicking ability but it better be good, we have enough suspect kicks. That's the one area we have erred in, not placing enough emphasis on skill. That and not recruiting a small crumbing forward would be our biggest downfall.

His kick looks very suspect and reminds me of the first time I saw Cook play against Sydney in the NAB cup 2 years ago, it was horrible then and hasn't improved since. I hope that Smith can sort his kick out and get it up to scratch because to me it doesn't look AFL standard unless he has some other major weapons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cook can't kick and will never be able to kick to afl standard. He will be gone at the end of the year. In the offseason we have expressed our need for quick outside players that can carry the ball, well if they had confidence in cook why would it be so pressing. If smith's disposal is anything like cooks I am going to spew.

Cook can't kick and will never be able to kick to afl standard. He will be gone at the end of the year. In the offseason we have expressed our need for quick outside players that can carry the ball, well if they had confidence in cook why would it be so pressing. If smith's disposal is anything like cooks I am going to spew.
From what I've seen of Brodie, his kicking is a heck of a lot better than Cook's. Not sure why the comparison has been made, but anyway.

Wasnt trying to bag the guy just saying I am worried about his ability to bring his disposal up to afl standard, we are lacking in the skill department already and feel like we may have got another player with suspect skills thats all.

Wasnt trying to bag the guy just saying I am worried about his ability to bring his disposal up to afl standard, we are lacking in the skill department already and feel like we may have got another player with suspect skills thats all.
Fair enough, but from what I've seen of Brodie in the SANFL so far, his kicking skills are being very harshly rated on here.

Honestly, I think people are just looking at his ball drop and dreaming up horror stories. There are plenty of strange looking kicks that go perfectly fine at AFL level.

He may turn out to be a poor kick, but the evidence is simply not there yet. Let's not invent issues, hey?

I think Smith will be a great player. Really wanted him to get to our pick.

His kicking action can look ugly but the result is normally very good. Based on what I've seen he has above average kicking skills.

Can't say I ever thought his kicking to be an issue watching him play all his league games at the Eagles. I actually thought one of his strengths was his decision making in going for the longer and better option and hitting the target. Also don't think his kicking action is that ugly, mind you, he was flanked by Pat Giuffreda and Ben Grieger for much of the year which may have made him look a little more attractive.

as a youtube armchair expect.... i was initially concerned about his kicking.

However while his short kicks do look floaty, saw many highlights of very long accurate passes and some long, outside 50 goals. Interesting style seems to bring his leg across and when going for distance left leg lifts off ground to launch himself into kick.

As a draft pick i think at this stage it is the role of all supporters to assume he is going to be a gun :D enjoy the ride.

His kicking is fine. People need to start concentrating on the actual quality of his kicking, and not the awkward looking action. There is certainly room for improvement, but his kick does appear to be a very long one - that seems to be generally quite accurate over distance.

Excellent selection. Will be absolute quality.

Two South Australian first rounders in three years... I like it. The constant go-home debates we seem to be embroiled in each season are becoming tiresome.

Craig, Davis, Jacobs, Jaensch, Martin, Petrenko, Smith... all South Australians and all coming onto the senior list in the last couple of seasons. Whether it's tactical or just a coincidence that the 'best available' included a bunch of South Aussies I don't know, but I wonder how much sparing ourlseves angst down the track is in our thinking.

One of D&T's more knowledge (and verbose :p) posters, Quigley, had this write-up for Smith (who he rated at 7 in the draft):

Brodie Smith
DOB 14/1/92 Ht 189 Wt 78

I originally had Smith down a bit lower than this but an SA guy whose opinion I trust is very high on him and rates him ahead of Polec and compares his game to that of Judd as a junior. I see more than a few holes in his game but I am willing to put him this high on spec. Like Judd he does not have the traditional inside mid build being tall and relatively lean but he has good core strength and probably the quickest hands of any prospect available this year. He reads the ball very well off the rucks hands and where he most resembles Judd is in his attack on the ball at pace in clearance situations. He will hang back and when he sees the ball he will attack and aim to come out the other side with the ball. He makes quick decisions and clears the ball pretty well from the contest. What he does quicker than anyone I have ever seen is get the ball from hand onto his foot. He uses this skill quite a bit to clear the ball from clearances. He wins the ball and then as quick as you can blink he slams it onto his foot and pumps it forward.

He is a big kick and has excellent penetration (we are talking 60m here) unfortunately he does tend to be a little indiscriminate over all distances. Smith is capable of lasering it in to a man but all too often he misjudges his range either overhitting or underhitting his passes. I have heard it said that he is a bit lazy with his kicking (that is he doesn’t always concentrate when kicking) and that may be true. He is a right footer but is also capable of getting good penetration on his left.

What a lot of people comment on when they see him play is how quick he is. This is a little deceiving as he does not time quick but he just makes the most of the little quickness he has. He has good game pace rather than stopwatch pace. At the Combine this was borne out for all to see when he timed in the same region as Sidebottom did a few years ago i.e. right at the bottom. He has good endurance and this allows him to get to contests and to make use of what pace he has. Despite woeful 20m times it is interesting to note that he timed pretty near the middle of the pack in the repeat sprints.

He is a good accumulator and has a reasonable outside game. At the Champs he averaged 22 possessions a game. What he does a lot is sneak around the back of a man with the ball ala Ablett and collect and go forward with it. He also plays time in the back half and is a more than capable small defender. He probably played more in the back half in the SANFL this year than in the midfield. Although he is still fairly lean he has good balance and strength. Where he is not so good is in the marking contest which would be one of his weaknesses even at junior level. He tends to not judge the ball very well in the air and just does not find himself in the right spot. The other area where he definitely needs to improve if he expects to play regularly at the next level is in the tackle. At present his tackling technique looks more like he is going in for the cuddle. He does not commit, is all arm and consequently is easily brushed aside. He finished the year very strongly in the SANFL and excelled in the finals which would have boosted his stock a fair bit.

Overall I think Smith is a very nice inside mid prospect who should start the year in defence. His penetration on his kicking is as good as anyone’s in this draft and if he could add some feel to his kicks he could be a real weapon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back