Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date – Saturday, September 5
Time – 1:45pm
Venue – Gabba
Weather - 23° Mostly sunny

Preview by Tairy Greene

Well here we are. The end of the Home and Away season of 2015. After our first off-season in a while where we weren’t haemorrhaging players, we actually flipped that problem by bringing some incredible quality in & losing "only" a 2-time B&F winner in Patfull, there was hope around the traps of having a decent year. Some pundits even saw us having a good year and making a push for the 8!

Well…

What the hell do those pundits know!? Here we are last by .21% going into the last round, a chance for the spoon & the "coveted" number 1 pick. Going by reports through the year the Lions will use their pick on Schache, even if Carlton finish last they’ve been reported to be going with Weitering. So on that news I'd love nothing more than to win this game & for Carlton to be destroyed by the Hawks & avoid that god damn spoon. Do you think the poor Schache Attaq wants his face forever etched onto the spoon?? I think not!

B7iAxXF.png

Artist’s sketch of the etched Schache Spoon

Unfortunately, after all the hype of the Beams trade, we only had 1 game to glimpse the lauded midfield of Rockliff, Beams, Zorko, Hanley & Rich play together, where one of them didn’t go off injured. Boy howdy didn’t they look good against the Swans, like their assorted powers combined to create the ultimate midfield group; some might say a Voltron-esque performance.

0UCVCx0.jpg

What a majestic beast!

As much hype as there was coming into this season with the midfield the Lions had built, we were severely lacking in mature KPP's around the age of our mids, which I believe ultimately led to the sharp fall. The key forwards we aimed to get games into both sucumbed to injury very early on, not that they would have been the difference in games but you know, Leuey & Stef are key forwards not.
I mean, I've seen jellyfish with better spines than the Lions at times this year!

Add on to that rumours of factions within the club, players crying, big losses on & off-field and another supposed exodus of players looming at years end (included a prince if I'm not mistaken!) then I think it's safe to say most of us can't wait for the 2016 season. At least we do get some September action though!

Anyway, onto the game!

So our opponents are the Bulldogs this week, how are they going you ask? Oh, not bad, I guess. Just on their way to the finals for the first time since 2010 & could even finish in the 4 depending on other results if they win this weekend. They have played some frantic & incredibly exciting football this year and haven’t been bogged down by that “structures” buzzword. Pure football. Their mids have attacked, their defense has hunted in packs & their forwards have thrusted repeatedly led by the silky Package.

5BTwArd.jpg

The Package is blurred out due to Rule 5 of BigFooty.com

The Lions? Well... They’ve played some nice football at times but more often than not they've played what I can only describe as, uh, actually there are no words to describe it that won’t get past the swear filters.

So anyway Leppo, what’s the plan to fell the Doggies this week?

1CMWvi.gif

Oh…

The biggest advantage the Lions have got this week is where it’s being played. When the Doggies are away from the confines of Docklands they are 3 from 8. I guess it does help a bit when you play “away” games at your “home” venue but that’s neither here nor there (nor home nor away). I’m not going to focus on match-ups because the only way the Lions are winning this is if the entire team plays like it has been the last two 1st qtrs, or the last 3 qtrs of the Carlton game proceeding those. In fact, maybe the way to beat the Doggies is to play for 4 qtrs! A novel concept indeed, but one of some merit. There needs to be sustained pressure on the ball carrier, quick forays forward and a huge amount of defensive run when the Doggies are on the rebound.

Is it possible? Maybe not.

Will I be cheering madly on Saturday for a Lions win & to finish 17th?

Ab.

So.

LUTELY!

Lions by 13.

Last edited:
Dlanod won't be happy you've posted this. He's losing potential likes by the minute.

Great preview Tairy, hopefully we can notch up a win against the odds. I know i'll be cheering for a big win.

Dlanod won't be happy you've posted this. He's losing potential likes by the minute.

Great preview Tairy, hopefully we can notch up a win against the odds. I know i'll be cheering for a big win.

I'd post a photoshop of what dlanod can do with those lost likes but I'd just have to blur it out like the Stringer pic.

Wouldn't have said this before the start of the season but I'm really looking forward to seeing the dogs live. Especially Stringer.

Heard Reddo was upset he didn't make the cut for midfield Voltron...

Haha great job mate.

I think we'll win this week, as crazy as that might sound.

Bulldogs won't finish top 4, they know that. Their eyes will be on the finals and not us. We will do anything possible to end this year on a positive.

* it, probably wishful thinking, but go Lions!

Shame the "You spin me right 'round" clip didn't make Tairy's final edit.

I was going to make a Vine for the preview but thought nothing tops that one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great preview. Beveridge said on the weekend that he will be "raiding the VFL side" this week. I think we can win or at least run them close. If anyone here is a betting man (or woman), i think the +34.5 available is great value.

Anyone else remember round 23, 2012? We came up against the doggies, off the back of two wins in a row. We'd just beaten a top four contender Adelaide. We came out to Etihad and absolutely smashed the doggies, giving us three wins in a row to end the season, and bringing our total wins tally to 10 for the year, coming off 4 wins in 2011. The Fitzroy chant rang around Etihad and sent chills up everyone's spine. We were so full of hope. So long ago :(

Do we have to front up for another game??o_O:confused:

..please god, make it go away, I can't bare it!:cry:

Go Lions anyway;)

Will be a record for me - 14th game of the year this weekend. What a miserable year to do it! Thinking of a 3 game membership next year :(

Anyone else remember round 23, 2012? We came up against the doggies, off the back of two wins in a row. We'd just beaten a top four contender Adelaide. We came out to Etihad and absolutely smashed the doggies, giving us three wins in a row to end the season, and bringing our total wins tally to 10 for the year, coming off 4 wins in 2011. The Fitzroy chant rang around Etihad and sent chills up everyone's spine. We were so full of hope. So long ago :(
Wasn't round 23 2012 against the Dogs played at the Gabba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back