Research Who Invented the Big V for Victorian Teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have finished an article summing up the history behind the Big-V. called
Origin of the Big-V

Thanks all for your help.

The earliest Big-V jumper appears to be one used by the Amateur Athletics in the early 1900's.
Well done. Interesting too that the 1908 Victorian Carnival uniform appears to be a jumper at a time when some
of the VFL clubs were still sporting lace-ups (or a mixture of both.) Did the state team want to encourage the
clubs to be more 'modern'?

Great work. These pictures are invaluable.

According to research by Rainier Wolfcastle the Vics looked like this in 1908:
He and I are working together on a project looking at all State jumpers.
Victoria-1908.png

Thanks SJ - it's a joint project between Mero (Rob Meredith) and yours truly (Dave Eastman).

I've spent the last few years researching it all and now Mero's powering through the artwork - you can expect the finished product to be unveiled very soon on our respective websites (www.hardballget.net and www.footyjumpers.com). Get ready... there's some big surprises amongst them! ;)

Victoria has had 63 different designs/variations over their time from 1879 to 2008.
This will be all of them.
Sensational.

Are you doing all states? This is what I've been asking you about for close to five years! ;)

Getting back to the original question, it appears the 1908 Carnival was the first opportunity for many smaller design features.
In the years preceding 1908 designs were essentially stripes, sash, or hoops.
1908 gave us Queensland in a Q for the first time, WA with a swan for the first time, New Zealand with a Silver Fern, NSW with a waratah, and of course, the Big Vee for the first time.
I can't say with any confidence who put it there, but I am suggesting that even if you wanted it there earlier that the manufacturing standards of the day might not have allowed it to be there very long.

Victoria has had 63 different designs/variations over their time from 1879 to 2008.
This will be all of them.

I've got quite a few early Victorian team photos; so if you need any to cross reference keep me in mind.
I'll wait for your Big V page

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got quite a few early Victorian team photos; so if you need any to cross reference keep me in mind.

Thanks, Rhett - my archives are pretty extensive so it should be ok for now. I'm doing a final review of them all now so will be in touch if there's any gaps amongst my photos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back