news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why risk damaging what is probably the biggest fight they could make by having Cyborg face the woman that's already lost twice to Rousey?
This is why it won't happen.

Unless, that is, Cyborg requests a fight first at 135.

This is why it won't happen.

Unless, that is, Cyborg requests a fight first at 135.
That wouldn't be smart for Cyborg to do. If she can get the fight with Rousey she should take it and be happy with what it does to her bank balance. Cyborg hasn't gone about this whole thing that intelligently though.

The UFC (Dana) has expressed concerns that Cyborg cant make 135, they are gonna make her fight someone at 135 before giving her the shot (imagine if she shows up on weigh in day 10 pounds over, that will be embarassing).

Have her fight Tate, if she wins (as expected) on the same card the excitement will increase 10 fold, if Tate beats her they can market Tate v Rousey 3 as Tates improved so much she beat the killer Cyborg.

Makes perfect sense.

I don't see why weight even matters. Why do we want to see a diminished Cyborg fighting Rousey? For everyone else we say stop cutting so much weight, it's not healthy, but for Cyborg we want her to cut a ridiculous amount of weight. We want this to happen because the UFC has fed us bullshit about the title being something that must be worshipped.

Matt Hughes was the WW champion and fought Royce Gracie at a catchweight of 175 pounds. Who cares what weight the fight takes place at? The UFC wouldn't as it's not changing the money they're making. They should offer Rousey a big pay rise (she deserves it) to get her to fight Cyborg at 140 or even 145 pounds. They think the fight would do 2.5 million buys and they won't make it unless it's at 135 pounds. Lol

If we're insistent on her making 135, then they can get her to have a test cut down to 135 pounds. If she accomplishes that, then make the Rousey fight. No other fights are necessary and simply get in the way of the fight that we want to see.

That's all an argument for a different day. I have my opinion on the weight matter as do you but the UFC (the employer and really the only one who matters) has expressed concern regarding cyborg making weight. If she can't and she shows up to weigh ins over the fight is no longer a title fight and honestly likely gets scrapped. If she makes weight, fights Tate and wins it doesn't diminish anything, is she fights Tate and loses she was never going to challenge Ronda anyway, I don't really see the issue with it?

I don't see why weight even matters.

It matters because Ronda is the women's 135lb champion, and the UFC doesn't have (and probably won't have, due to how shallow the weight class is) a 145lb women's division.

If they did a catchweight, and Cyborg won, then what next for Cyborg in the UFC? There's nobody else to fight her, unless they want to just bring across the Invicta 145ers and have her crush those cans again under the UFC banner, which would be pretty boring and pointless.

There's no reason Ronda should be the one to make the change to accomodate Cyborg. Doesn't really make sense from any perspective.

Last edited:
It matters because Ronda is the women's 135lb champion, and the UFC doesn't have (and probably won't have, due to how shallow the weight class is) a 145lb women's division.
135 is better than 145, but not by that much. The UFC have made it pretty clear all they care about is Rousey, not the division and not in building it.

If they did a catchweight, and Cyborg won, then what next for Cyborg in the UFC? There's nobody else to fight her, unless they want to just bring across the Invicta 145ers and have her crush those cans again under the UFC banner, which would be pretty boring and pointless.
What would have been next for Royce Gracie if he beat Matt Hughes at a catchweight of 175 pounds? There's nobody else for Rousey to fight. Rousey's destroying her opposition (not cans, but Cyborg's not crushing cans either). What Rousey is doing is boring and pointless. All the stuff you're saying about Cyborg applies just as well to Rousey. I just don't get your point here.

There's no reason Ronda should be the one to make the change to accomodate Cyborg. Doesn't really make sense from any perspective.
Cool. Rousey doesn't have to go up in weight. It'd be great if she did.

I really don't get why everyone tries to defend the UFC with the they have a 135 pound division, so they can't make the fight stuff. Who cares? It's the only interesting fight for either of them and everyone wants to try to make excuses so the fight doesn't happen. Fans doing that is the so weird.

That's all an argument for a different day. I have my opinion on the weight matter as do you but the UFC (the employer and really the only one who matters) has expressed concern regarding cyborg making weight. If she can't and she shows up to weigh ins over the fight is no longer a title fight and honestly likely gets scrapped. If she makes weight, fights Tate and wins it doesn't diminish anything, is she fights Tate and loses she was never going to challenge Ronda anyway, I don't really see the issue with it?
Fighters have missed weight in title fights in the UFC before and the fight's weren't scrapped. Why would this one be scrapped when there's so much money in it happening? 2.5 million PPV buys we've been told.

Fighters fail pre-fight drug tests and the results conveniently come in shortly after the event. Scrapping the fight because of missing weight would be bizarre.

What if Cyborg can't make weight against Tate. That'd be embarrassing? Not as embarrassing as in a title fight I guess. Correira just fought for the title. She'd be lucky to be in the top 10 of the division. It's pretty embarrassing that they made that fight.

Making a fight with Tate is an unnecessary hurdle in front of the most interesting fight that can be made for either woman. And it's maybe the most interesting fight in the entire sport.

Fighters have missed weight in title fights in the UFC before and the fight's weren't scrapped. Why would this one be scrapped when there's so much money in it happening? 2.5 million PPV buys we've been told.

Fighters fail pre-fight drug tests and the results conveniently come in shortly after the event. Scrapping the fight because of missing weight would be bizarre.

What if Cyborg can't make weight against Tate. That'd be embarrassing? Not as embarrassing as in a title fight I guess. Correira just fought for the title. She'd be lucky to be in the top 10 of the division. It's pretty embarrassing that they made that fight.

Making a fight with Tate is an unnecessary hurdle in front of the most interesting fight that can be made for either woman. And it's maybe the most interesting fight in the entire sport.

Gonn have to agree to to disagree, with the heat on Cyborg for her failed drug tests in the past (rightly or wrongly, frankly i think the sport has welcomed back dopers in the past so she shouldn't be held to a higher standard) if she misses weight the UFC would be painted into a corner to scrap the fight, i also cant think of a title in fight in the modern UFC era (where its a clean respectable sport) that has gone ahead with a fighter missing weight.

She misses weight for the Tate fight she probably never fights in the UFC, FAR less embarassing to scrap the first fight on a main card than the main event, if its the headline act the card probably gets scrapped altogether.

I completely disagree that the fight with Tate is an "unneccesary hurdle" we are talking about a fighter who hasn't fought in the UFC, in the weight class (i stand to be corrected on that) she is about as unproven as anyone coming into a title fight. She has less record than Correira in the promotion and division, whilst i wouldn't begrudge the UFC giving her the title fight first up i also wouldn't begrudge giving her a tune up fight On top of all of that its easily marketable. She comes in a beats the brakes off Tate then its "The rightful #1 contender, smashed through Rouseys toughest opponent" etc. if she loses to Tate then we know she was never going to challenge Ronda.

I just dont understand how you can say that fighting a top 5er in the division doesn't make sense.

you know what Rogan brought up the IV ban and saying we need to have more weight classes there is too big of a jump between divisons im down for that be more champions but I think it really makes sense

If thaf happens we will start seeing cards during the week to keep up with the roster :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an interview with MMA fighting Connor says after Aldo he is done with 145, unless frankie does something amazing with mendes. I'm wondering if it's more to do with the Iv ban. I'm bummed out if he goes up so many good fights to be had. He also claims he has killed the division that's bs too, Jones killed the division, DJ and Ronda too. Connor has yet to really face the elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back