news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

https://vid.me/MwDW

Heard about Wittman trying to stop the fight in the 2nd round of Gastelum/Marquardt back when the fight happened. Now looking at this and hearing Wittman trying to stop the fight pisses me off even more. He says "stop the fight" multiple times and someone working for the commission says "I can't". That's it? Doesn't even tell him what he should do to stop it?

I think some commissions allow throwing in the towel to end a fight and some don't. The commissions that don't, have made throwing in the towel a foul. I believe that means the result would be a DQ, which at least stops the fight. Knowing MMA, it's just as likely they'd take a point and restart the fight.

I don't know, maybe Wittman should have just thrown the towel in. Nick Diaz did that and the towel was missed, so I really don't know. I haven't heard the commission come out and say what Wittman should have done to stop the fight. If they haven't, they need to.

MMA: Where corners don't stop fights often enough and sometimes they can't, even when they want to.

the only possible reason for not allowing a corner to stop a fight on behalf of the fighter would be the idea of sabotage or something. What a bizarre rule. You would think the cornermen could scream at the ref to stop the fight maybe? I guess that wouldn't be super effective.

On another note how bad was Dan in that fight, also how bad must Kelvins ground game be to not get a sub at any stage there.

Here's Kizer talking about throwing in the towel: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/...hrowing-in-the-towel-remains-a-foul-in-nevada

One of the reasons makes some sort of sense. A fighter could get distracted by the towel and get hurt worse because of it. I still think since the corner desperately wants the fight to end that throwing a towel would stop it quicker and therefore be better than not throwing it. The other reason is stupid. Fans might bring a towel to throw in there haha. I don't think anyone would have thought to do that until Kizer mentioned it.

The way he says that a corner should stop the fight seems like it wouldn't have worked for Wittman. You tell someone from the commission you want to stop the fight and then you get an I can't response. That doesn't make that way seem a viable option here.

To me it seems like throwing in the towel would be far quicker and more effective than coordinating a fight to stop with the help of an inspector.

also how bad must Kelvins ground game be to not get a sub at any stage there.
That's really weird in fights where someone is basically done. It's like Miocic vs Hunt or Cain vs JDS 2/3 as well. Couldn't Miocic have just sunk in a choke on a basically defenceless Mark Hunt?

Just looked at the stats from those fights. Gastelum didn't attempt a submission and Miocic didn't either. Marquardt's a good grappler, so Gastelum was probably just sticking to his game plan. I can't recall Miocic trying to submit anyone, so it's likely that he was sticking to a game plan too. It's probably fighters being so intent on sticking to their game plan that they don't realise they could probably sink in a choke and easily finish the fight.

That's really weird in fights where someone is basically done. It's like Miocic vs Hunt or Cain vs JDS 2/3 as well. Couldn't Miocic have just sunk in a choke on a basically defenceless Mark Hunt?

Just looked at the stats from those fights. Gastelum didn't attempt a submission and Miocic didn't either. Marquardt's a good grappler, so Gastelum was probably just sticking to his game plan. I can't recall Miocic trying to submit anyone, so it's likely that he was sticking to a game plan too. It's probably fighters being so intent on sticking to their game plan that they don't realise they could probably sink in a choke and easily finish the fight.

Thats all you could assume, i was in Adelaide for the Miocic fight and it was disgraceful, can't remember who reffed that but it took the gloss off a great afternoon. I think Miocic would have had it a little harder as for the most part he had Hunt up against the cage in semi side control the whole time, Gastelum had an RNC just there... Like right in front of him, a white belt would have seen it and been able to finish it.

https://vid.me/MwDW

Heard about Wittman trying to stop the fight in the 2nd round of Gastelum/Marquardt back when the fight happened. Now looking at this and hearing Wittman trying to stop the fight pisses me off even more. He says "stop the fight" multiple times and someone working for the commission says "I can't". That's it? Doesn't even tell him what he should do to stop it?

I think some commissions allow throwing in the towel to end a fight and some don't. The commissions that don't, have made throwing in the towel a foul. I believe that means the result would be a DQ, which at least stops the fight. Knowing MMA, it's just as likely they'd take a point and restart the fight.

I don't know, maybe Wittman should have just thrown the towel in. Nick Diaz did that and the towel was missed, so I really don't know. I haven't heard the commission come out and say what Wittman should have done to stop the fight. If they haven't, they need to.

MMA: Where corners don't stop fights often enough and sometimes they can't, even when they want to.
what fight did Nick throw the towel ?

what fight did Nick throw the towel ?
Nate vs Thomson. Thomson knocked Nate down with a head kick I think. Nick throws the towel as Nate gets knocked down, but the ref doesn't see it. Finish comes very shortly after anyway.

Edit: Found a gif. Towel was thrown in just as the ref was stopping it.

ibmReerDReoWfd.gif

Last edited:
I remember that fight I never noticed the towel before
Nate vs Thomson. Thomson knocked Nate down with a head kick I think. Nick throws the towel as Nate gets knocked down, but the ref doesn't see it. Finish comes very shortly after anyway.

Edit: Found a gif. Towel was thrown in just as the ref was stopping it.

ibmReerDReoWfd.gif

I watched that fight never noticed the towel I think its something that needs to be looked at 90% of corners prob wont use it but the few that do would be good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rousey vs holm, UFC 195, jan 2nd.

WHAT THE ****?

Well that was unexpected.

I thought Holm would be next, after Miesha, and after a top 10 win (Jessica Eye? Alexis Davis?).

I feel stylistically and size-wise, and with Greg Jackson's coaching and gameplanning, she could seriously be Ronda's toughest test. Would still like her to have had another quality win before getting the shot, though. If she can be super-patient and listen to Jackson, Holm can maybe, maybe, decision Ronda. Don't go in with the mindset that you have to be really aggressive and "beat" her, like everyone seems to. Just be calm and know that you have five rounds to earn the win, and Holm maybe, maybe, could dethrone Ronda.

That being said, as a Ronda fan, it'd be fun as ever to see her steamroll through another challenger in less than a minute.

Last edited:
I'd expect rousey to come out, pressure holm on the feet and try to stop her there quickly. holm just doesn't have the stopping power in her hands and she sure as s**t won't be letting her kicks go with the threat of the take down. if rousey can't find early success on the feet, she will clinch, toss, submit.
RD1 finish

The fight makes sense from a sell ability point of view (it's more interesting than Meisha again and they're both undefeated) and Jack Slack has done a lot of articles about how Ronda eats punches to initiate the clinch (which she absolutely does) and how Hollys technical boxing means she should be able to circle off and jab to keep distance. Having said all of that Ronda will win. I think they should do Meisha v Cyborg on the same card, winner gets Ronda

Holm hasn't done anything to show that this fight makes sense to be next for Rousey or that she stands a chance. Still, I like it better than Tate getting a 3rd shot.

Tate stands no chance against Rousey. Doesn't have enough power in her strikes to win, won't submit Rousey and no way she outpoints Rousey to win a decision. Holm stands a slightly better chance as she could KO Rousey with a kick. Outside of that she doesn't have much hope. Holm might be able to keep Rousey at distance for a while and that would merely delay the inevitable. Rousey gets inside, throws her on her head and submits her, and it probably happens in the 1st round.

I'd rather see Nunes face Rousey though. Rousey charges in and Nunes could land a big punch. Power in Nunes' hands and being a better finisher than Holm would make it a more interesting fight imo.

I think they should do Meisha v Cyborg on the same card, winner gets Ronda
Why risk damaging what is probably the biggest fight they could make by having Cyborg face the woman that's already lost twice to Rousey?

Cyborg would almost certainly destroy Tate, but if they want to make Rousey/Cyborg then they should just make it. Correira and Holm are getting title shots against Rousey, so just give Cyborg the fight if they want to make it.

Personally think they are just keeping Ronda active for UFC200

I don't think anyone on here mentioned that Jedrzejczyk is expected to defend her title in the co-main on the Rousey/Holm card. Likely against Gadelha, which would be a great fight. It's not 100% yet because apparently Gadelha has an injury. If not Gadelha, then it'd be someone that Joanna will probably run through. Either way, sounds good to me.

Also, Nunes/Tate being talked about on that card. They already had that card with Rousey in the main event and Holm in the co-main. UFC 195 sounds similar to that one but better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back