Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was the AFC and I wanted to stop negative comment towards the club I would "plant" a few of our own to shout down any "agitators" and talk up the club to ridiculous levels.

I love a good conspiracy theory. Have you ever seen Phil Harper and Baccs in the same room at the same time?? Hmmm
I would love a job at an AFL club, where do I sign?!

Based on a dream draw and not beating or really even playing the best teams.

If you took out the doubles games against gc and gws, and we had doubles against sydney and hawthorn it would be considered a pretty hard draw, and even if we lost both we would still have finished with 15 wins, which I think would have made us 4th. In terms of beating other opponents, we defeated west coast and geelong all be it both at home, and Fremantle twice (3 if you count the final) who were the main competitors outside the top 4, we also beat sydney away in a close one, but probably got a little lucky. Deserved to make the prelim but probably not the gf, we were a top 4 side in 2012 it was just that there was a significant gap between top 2 and the rest of the competition.

If you took out the doubles games against gc and gws, and we had doubles against sydney and hawthorn it would be considered a pretty hard draw, and even if we lost both we would still have finished with 15 wins, which I think would have made us 4th. In terms of beating other opponents, we defeated west coast and geelong all be it both at home, and Fremantle twice (3 if you count the final) who were the main competitors outside the top 4, we also beat sydney away in a close one, but probably got a little lucky. Deserved to make the prelim but probably not the gf, we were a top 4 side in 2012 it was just that there was a significant gap between top 2 and the rest of the competition.

Maybe. I just think not enough of the fact that we played a prelim against a team struck down by gastro. we were nowhere near a flag in 2012. Pretenders enjoying as much luck as it's possible to have. Which we seemed to have none of in the coming years

Gee, this video clip i made is taking a while to upload to YouTube ......please, it's not a highlight tape, just a normal view of his game for Vic Country v WA

Doedee Number 21

80% of the game was in Vic Country's forward line ....and Doedee played last line of defense

Compared to other U18 players ...Doedee has broad shoulders and should fill out into a muscular unit
He's quick, with good hands ...highly competitive, but also has very good composure and leadership

Look i understand you can see a lot of these things in many players who didn't even get drafted .....and the num-nuts will look at this and say Meh?

Call it gut feel, but i can see in his movements, composure, speed and great hands, a very good player

Please be kind on my editing ....in an editing window it was hard to pick up Doedee ...so some excerpts may not be him :oops: .....btw i haven't seen the final video either

QUOTE: Knightmare
Tom Doedee (Geelong Falcons / 187cm / 80kg)

Havent seen a whole bunch of this kid but he really took my eye when I did. Has terrible run with injuries but has shown recruiters is capable of some special things. Tom is a lovely kick and really weights the ball to advantage, he can take a contested mark and is very courageous and happy to go backwards in the air. He has reasonable speed and very good agility and is pretty clean at ground level. I think he is probably best suited to a HB or wing type role. Came back late in the year and gave a couple of performances to scouts in the Falcons finals games.

Why: Have seen a bit of him and what I have seen I have liked. I genuinely think he is a player somebody might swing at a bit earlier. He has a bit of upside for mine.

Are you 10 years old?
You pick one example where we didn't get it right. What about the 25 we did get right?

FWIW a friend of mine played on Pavlich in high school and killed him. He wasn't that good as an 18 year old.
He wasnt an obvious choice at the time.
Marty is being so obtuse with this pick that he does not realise he is accusing the club of doing this year what he thinks the club should have done in 98.
In 98, the club chose the player that everyone thought should go first and did not pick the player that NOBODY valued at all, let alone at the pick that McGregor went at. This year we may have done exactly that but he's still unhappy. So, when he says he's not critical of the club per se, he's bullshitting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marty is being so obtuse with this pick that he does not realise he is accusing the club of doing this year what he thinks the club should have done in 98.
In 98, the club chose the player that everyone thought should go first and did not pick the player that NOBODY valued at all, let alone at the pick that McGregor went at. This year we may have done exactly that but he's still unhappy. So, when he says he's not critical of the club per se, he's bullshitting.

We are talking a player going nowhere near a 1st round draft selection except for the crows. I did say I was happy with Mcgregor previously played 150 games wasn't a bad selection just Pavlich was a superstar. I was replying to a poster talking about Johnstone saying how we had made right selections I was stating we had also made wrong

But continue to take out of context, I'm not fused the Crows are even trying to justify their odd ball selection. gee I wonder why? May have something to do with a few headlines!

- if we wanted Himmelberg (we obviously did), it was utterly negligent IMO to not bid on Matt Kennedy with our first pick, regardless of whether we rated Milera higher than him or not. It was universally known that GWS would match any bids from 3 onwards on both Hopper and Kennedy and we had an opportunity to make them match pick 11 for Kennedy, which was already a better result for GWS than many predicted.

Allowing Kennedy to slip through to Pick 13 meant GWS gave up less for him, meaning they had more available with which to match our subsequent Himmelberg bid than they otherwise would have. It was widely thought that GWS would not match a bid of around pick 16 for Himmelberg (if you watched the telecast you'll already know that Don Pyke certainly didn't think they were going to match), but they were able to do so because Kennedy unexpectedly fell to 13 (and Hopper also went lower than expected), so matching 16 was only on par with what a bid in the 20s would have cost them if the other two went higher.....
This is annoying, that the AFL draft has become an exercise in gaming.

We are talking a player going nowhere near a 1st round draft selection except for the crows. I did say I was happy with Mcgregor previously played 150 games wasn't a bad selection just Pavlich was a superstar. I was replying to a poster talking about Johnstone saying how we had made right selections I was stating we had also made wrong

But continue to take out of context, I'm not fused the Crows are even trying to justify their odd ball selection. gee I wonder why? May have something to do with a few headlines!
You continue to talk like an expert on something you & most have no idea about.

Given this thread & the Sanfl thread & your venom towards the crows, I have my doubts you are actually a supporter of Afc. Would not surprise me if you were a non-crows media 'personality' who gets joy out of stirring up crows supporters.

I don't actually recollect you posting anything in support of Afc. You carry on like we have been a basketcase like the Dees or the blues.

Last edited:
You continue to talk like an expert on something you & most have no idea about.

Given this thread & the Sanfl thread & your venom towards the crows, I have my doubts you are actually a supporter of Afc. Would not surprise me if you were a non-crows media 'personality' who gets joy out of stirring up crows supporters.

I don't actually recollect you posting anything in support of Afc. You carry on like we have been a basketcase like the Dees or the blues.

That's fine your opinion doesn't concern me!

Fact is the crows have taken an odd ball decision supported by the fact they are trying to justify their decision and trust them. That's fine if it is the right decision I'm quite happy to swallow my anonymous pride and take it sweet. But if as most non spoon feed sheep who think it was a punt and the punt doesn't pay off they should be well and truly held accountable.

But with the fact we sit middle of the table and can't afford too many blunders especially with 1st round selections the punt seems huge

Gee, this video clip i made is taking a while to upload to YouTube ......please, it's not a highlight tape, just a normal view of his game for Vic Country v WA

Cheers for uploading this Wayne. I appreciate the effort :thumbsu:

I like that he reads the ball in the air well, and seems extremely safe overhead. Top speed is really nothing to get excited about, and he leans back on his kicks way too much - needs to fix his action because it's not pretty and produces slow, loopy kicks.

There's something there, but he definitely looks like a pretty big gamble at 17.

Last edited:

Doedee Number 21

80% of the game was in Vic Country's forward line ....and Doedee played last line of defense

Compared to other U18 players ...Doedee has broad shoulders and should fill out into a muscular unit
He's quick, with good hands ...highly competitive, but also has very good composure and leadership

Look i understand you can see a lot of these things in many players who didn't even get drafted .....and the num-nuts will look at this and say Meh?

Call it gut feel, but i can see in his movements, composure, speed and great hands, a very good player

Please be kind on my editing ....in an editing window it was hard to pick up Doedee ...so some excerpts may not be him :oops: .....btw i haven't seen the final video either

That sort of footage give much more of an idea of what he can be. I recon he has a bit of the hound dog in him. may not be the prettiest player around and can make a blue or two but affects the contest. looks to have some smarts about him and a hard edge, also a good read and grab. Feeling much better about his selection the more I see of him.

That's fine your opinion doesn't concern me!

Fact is the crows have taken an odd ball decision supported by the fact they are trying to justify their decision and trust them. That's fine if it is the right decision I'm quite happy to swallow my anonymous pride and take it sweet. But if as most non spoon feed sheep who think it was a punt and the punt doesn't pay off they should be well and truly held accountable.

But with the fact we sit middle of the table and can't afford too many blunders especially with 1st round selections the punt seems huge
It's been pointed out to you numerous times by numerous posters this recruiting team have nailed all their 1st rounders & have recruited better than most teams. Ie. They have a great reputation. They have made numerous calculated left field choices that have paid off.

Yet you are carrying on like they have stuffed up when you or anyone of us have no idea as we don't have the information they do.

To simplify this...
Afc recruitment team = a grade reputation.
Marty = poor reputation & only critical of Afc even of things done well just because...

Given your supposed expertise of being right all the time, which player would you have selected instead? Bet you won't name anyone as you have no idea & would prefer to sit back & criticise rather offer anything positive.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back