Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Haggis took over from Rendell in 2012 after working as his apprentice for six years. This is his fourth draft in charge.
Yes, but he didn't have a 1st round selection to work with in 2012 or 2013 (courtesy of Tiprat Scum). This is only his 2nd first-round selection, with Lever being the only previous example.

Where marty36 errs is in underestimating the impact that Ogilvie had on Rendell's success.

Do they though? no club has ever released their order of preference list after a draft, let alone all of them, so we've never been able to compare.
It's human nature for recruiting managers to have different player ratings ......at the top of the draft though they'd be similar

Problem is despite all the rhetoric, players do draft on need

Take Weitering v Schache ......it was clear Schache was rated #1, but Carlton took Weitering preferring a KPD and factoring in go home

Ogilvie has had one draft to say he's responsible for Rendells work is ridiculous. He picked Lever with a first rounder that seems justified at this stage. To say he has the runs on the board is unbelievable. After one draft if he thinks he's that good that he can take punts I am thinking we may end up with some pretty sorry situations.

Elsa !!!!!!!!! Elsa !!!!!!!! (1)

Maybe it is because we aren't having a circle jerk over picking a player which isn't expected to be anything great with a first rounder. And some are questioning if it was or wasn't a wise decision at a moment in the AFC's life where a first rounder is very very important.

If it comes off I will get on my knees and bow to the great Ogilvie if it doesn't there should be ramifications if Milera doesn't come off I would put it down to bad luck

I'm pretty happy with Ogilvie's record, its superb since he took over. I feel you're attacking the only part of the club that has been doing a good job in recent years all because other people on the internet didn't rate the kid

Seems a dumb argument for mine

To be honest, yeah.

I'm happy to back in their judgment of Doedee over other options, and I understand why they wanted to take a risk that someone else was going to get to them (McKay, Himmelburg), but I though you could throw a blanket over everyone from 15 to 30, and in that case it would make sense to get two pieces instead of one.

I think the Bulldogs made the right trade, though I don't know about their choices.

To be honest, yeah.

I'm happy to back in their judgment of Doedee over other options, and I understand why they wanted to take a risk that someone else was going to get to them (McKay, Himmelburg), but I though you could throw a blanket over everyone from 15 to 30, and in that case it would make sense to get two pieces instead of one.

I think the Bulldogs made the right trade, though I don't know about their choices.
And by holding #9 and #13 ......if we had got Francis at #9 and Milera at #13 ......would you have bemoaned trading #13 for 2 x 2nd picks

This board would have had the biggest meltdown in history

No ....having two first round picks was absolutely the right strategy .....and we chose the next best talent ON OUR LIST .....not phantom drafters lists

I'm pretty happy with Ogilvie's record, its superb since he took over. I feel you're attacking the only part of the club that has been doing a good job in recent years all because other people on the internet didn't rate the kid

Seems a dumb argument for mine

It is like they want to set themselves up with an 'I told you so moment' but cover their arse if he turns into a good player by making statements that it has nothing to do with the player but its whether he was the best option.

You know this statement about the skill set he has (or lack there of).....reminds me for all sorts of different reasons the trade to snare JJ. Why bring in another tall forward when we already had Walker and Tippett...... It was insurance because there was a fair chance he was leaving. I just can't help think that this may be a similar situation. Probably wrong....but it just seems odd to add another defensive type when we seem to have a few.

So, who is leaving?

Ogilvie has had one draft to say he's responsible for Rendells work is ridiculous. He picked Lever with a first rounder that seems justified at this stage. To say he has the runs on the board is unbelievable. After one draft if he thinks he's that good that he can take punts I am thinking we may end up with some pretty sorry situations.

This is an honest question, how has Collingwood's drafting (not trading) been since Rendell's been there, in your view? I ask partly because I haven't followed it and am curious for the facts but also, from what little I understand of their drafting, it has only been about competition average I would say.

The major reason for Dangerfield was the go home factor, it wasn't over his selection prediction, and there may be a justification for that reason!

Don't rewrite history. That is untrue.

There were many people that wanted the SA player they had heard of, not the Victorian they hadn't.

But it wasn't a measured "I understand that this Victorian player has more talent but we may only get eight years out of him." It was jingoistic "pick the South Australian".

This is an honest question, how has Collingwood's drafting (not trading) been since Rendell's been there, in your view? I ask partly because I haven't followed it and am curious for the facts but also, from what little I understand of their drafting, it has only been about competition average I would say.
Rendell is not the Recruiting Manager at Collingwood .....he's not making the final calls, so no way of judging his contribution

And by holding #9 and #13 ......if we had got Francis at #9 and Milera at #13 ......would you have bemoaned trading #13 for 2 x 2nd picks

No ....having two first round picks was absolutely the right strategy .....and we chose the next best talent ON OUR LIST .....not phantom drafters lists

That's all fine. I'm not storming the streets in protest. I understand why they made the decision and that there may not have been downgrade opportunities on the table from other clubs.

But I personally would have looked to move down as the talent seemed very even.

Yes, but he didn't have a 1st round selection to work with in 2012 or 2013 (courtesy of Tiprat Scum). This is only his 2nd first-round selection, with Lever being the only previous example.

Where marty36 errs is in underestimating the impact that Ogilvie had on Rendell's success.

Basically Ogilvie presented players to Rendell and a number of them if Ogilvie didn't present Dangerfield then he should have been sacked there and then. Rendell made the call on who to draft with direction from the coach

Did the forward line coach get accredited with the 1997 premiership for making the call to have Shane Ellen up forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"IF" didn't work out though did it, what you can judge it on is what did happen.

Francis went at 5 and Milera 9, not even close to your "IF".........

Don't rewrite history. That is untrue.

There were many people that wanted the SA player they had heard of, not the Victorian they hadn't.

But it wasn't a measured "I understand that this Victorian player has more talent but we may only get eight years out of him." It was jingoistic "pick the South Australian".

There was an enormous concern of the go home factor I know because I thought it at the time and read about it. As there would have been with picking up A number of Victorians. We had a bit of fighting to do to retain Sloane from a Victorian club even with the faith shown in him by the AFC. Unfortunately it's a fact of life but should be considered on drafting.

But aren't my posts always negative?

Anyway, I hope he is a gem, my issue with his drafting is could we have been smarter at getting him? The Bulldogs downgraded 11 for 2 picks in the 20. Had we done something similar I believe we could have used one of those picks on him and grabbed another quality player as well. We didn't need to upgrade Kelly who I feel will struggle to get a game next year with the players we have brought in.

Obviously we're both getting smarter, because I agree with both of those points.

I don't really understand the Kelly upgrade.

If we'd downgraded that pick, we could have had two picks in the 20s and one rookie pick (and still had Kelly), instead of just 13 and two rookies.

Maybe they were getting player manager pressure to upgrade him, but I'm not sure he plays for us without injuries.

Obviously we're both getting smarter, because I agree with both of those points.

If we'd downgraded that pick, we could have had two picks in the 20s and one rookie pick (and still had Kelly), instead of just 13 and two rookies.

Maybe they were getting player manager pressure to upgrade him, but I'm not sure he plays for us without injuries.

Does his dad manage any of our players?

We could have brought in Tom and Collins. Now that would have been a big steal.

Wayne talks about missing out on Francis and Milera but that was never an option seeing how low Francis went.

Also if we didn't pick up Milera at 9, he wouldn't have lasted to 13.

That's all fine. I'm not storming the streets in protest. I understand why they made the decision and that there may not have been downgrade opportunities on the table from other clubs.

But I personally would have looked to move down as the talent seemed very even.
Yes but we didn't have the list spots to take more than two draftees ? .......isn't better, that being the case, to have the two highest picks possible?

As it is we had to keep ROB on the rookie list :(

Basically Ogilvie presented players to Rendell and a number of them if Ogilvie didn't present Dangerfield then he should have been sacked there and then. Rendell made the call on who to draft with direction from the coach

Did the forward line coach get accredited with the 1997 premiership for making the call to have Shane Ellen up forward?

There weren't line coaches in 1997. Just Coach and assistant coach.

So, who is leaving?
Hopefully no one of importance. You'd hate to think he was brought in as insurance for Talia whose contract expires next year. I just can't think of any other reason we would go for someone like that because lets face it we have a lot of defenders:
Talia, Brown, Lever, Hartigan, Cheney, Laird, Shaw, Henderson, Kelly, Otten, Smith and Seedsman off the top of my head.

I don't believe anyone expects posters to be positive about Afc all the time, but are you really a supporter if you can never find anything good to say about your club. That's a pretty sad outlook on life if you have never got anything positive to say.

Everyone has ups & downs - that's life. Everyone makes good & bad decision - hopefully we learn from our stuff ups.

Off topic, I was lucky to recently see 2 inspirational speakers at a conference I was speaking at recently. One was Dr Fiona Wood, Australian of the year & another Michael crossland who I would urge everyone to listen to. People are positive more than not achieve more, whilst people who are negative most if the time tend to drag them & others down. I wish everyone could be more positive than not as it makes life much better. That is not to say we won't have down moments or times we need to be critical, as we also learn from constructive criticism.

End of sermon...

Top post, Kane I couldn't agree more with this. All the positive people in the world lift those around them and the negative nellies become the losers in life. One's attitude reflects your success, so it stands to reason if you are a shitty person, shitty things will happen to you.

Hopefully no one of importance. You'd hate to think he was brought in as insurance for Talia whose contract expires next year. I just can't think of any other reason we would go for someone like that because lets face it we have a lot of defenders:
Talia, Brown, Lever, Hartigan, Cheney, Laird, Shaw, Henderson, Kelly, Otten, Smith and Seedsman off the top of my head.

The more I think sbout it, the more I see him becoming a tall midfielder. That is the way AFL midfilders are going - 188 - 192 cms

Thank-you for validating the opinion that you have no understanding whatsoever of how an AFL club operates. :thumbsu:

It's human nature for recruiting managers to have different player ratings ......at the top of the draft though they'd be similar

Problem is despite all the rhetoric, players do draft on need

Take Weitering v Schache ......it was clear Schache was rated #1, but Carlton took Weitering preferring a KPD and factoring in go home

no, Weitering was widely considered to be the better player, Ogilvie mentioned it was probably a 3-2 for Weitering from our main recruiters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back