Moved Thread Maj's trial - Majak found NOT GUILTY of three counts of rape

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That explains why I've had a few spare minutes from the garden work to check out BF.

Do lawn - called lazy for not doing BF.

Do BF - called lazy for not doing lawn.

The Yin and Yang of life.

We are only trying to help so you don't have to think. Just keeping bring in the moolah and all three of us will be sweet.

Article inside
Alleged rape victim ‘has nightmares’ about AFL star Majak Daw, court told
November 28, 2015 10:35pm
WAYNE FLOWERSunday Herald Sun
ceab959d4e00f4bee9a660623ec47370

Majak Daw. Picture: AAP
MAJAK Daw’s alleged rape victim has told a jury the footballer ruined her life — and denied she complained to police only after he became famous.

The woman told the Victorian County Court she was not motivated by anything other than a sense of closure in coming forward.

“I did it because of myself, because I didn’t want to see him any more, because I was sick of having nightmares, because I — all I saw was him,” she said.

“I don’t want to dream and have nightmares of him any more. That’s why I went to the police, ’cause I thought it would make everything better once I got it out in the open and ... once everyone knew what he did.”

Defence lawyer David Sexton told the woman she had Daw “well and truly in your sights because of his media profile”.

He asked: “Weren’t you upset that the man that was at the centre of this incident, that ruined your reputation, was now famous?”

Other Stories
Woman dies at Stereosonic

Swift shakes it off in Sydney

‘Sparks fly’ for Affleck, co-star

Ex-wife helps doc with love potion

Rogue cabbies preying on female passengers
v1

But she replied: “He didn’t ruin my reputation. He ruined my life. There’s a difference.”

Daw has pleaded not guilty to three counts of rape over the alleged attack on the teenager beside Skeleton Creek in Altona Meadows in 2007 when he was aged 16.

In court transcripts released to the Sunday Herald Sun, Daw’s barrister grills the alleged victim.

The woman, who was 15 at the time, claims Daw lured her away from a house party before savagely raping her.

She told the jury Daw had tried to kiss her as they wandered away from the party. At first, she thought he was joking but when she tried to leave, Daw grabbed her arm and raped her.

But Mr Sexton said Daw alleged the girl had walked off with him hand-in-hand. When they reached a rock, they both sat down. The girl told Daw she liked him.

Daw claims the girl leaned in and kissed him before sitting on his lap and making out.

The court heard she then instigated a sexual encounter.

“I’m suggesting to you that you very much liked what he was doing and you showed that by firstly clenching your legs around his,” Mr Sexton said.

He claimed the couple continued to kiss as they groped each other.

“You initiated this activity because you wanted to engage in this activity with Majak Daw. The sexual activity that did take place was utterly consensual,” he said.

But the woman denied that.

The trial continues.

Far be it for me to defend the HS, but if that is what was actually said in the court, I'm not sure that the HS has said anything detrimental to either party. It remains a case of differing stories from each of the parties and it will be up to the jury to work our which one is more believable.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Far be it for me to defend the HS, but if that is what was actually said in the court, I'm not sure that the HS has said anything detrimental to either party. It remains a case of differing stories from each of the parties and it will be up to the jury to work our which one is more believable.

Maybe I'm missing something here.
Because the article called him a ***ist without the presumption of innocence.

Because the article called him a ***ist without the presumption of innocence.

I assume you are referring to the sentence "At first, she thought he was joking but when she tried to leave, Daw grabbed her arm and raped her."?

If so then I think it is possible to read more into than is the case. To me it reads as though they are reporting what was said, rather than stating "he is a rapist". If it is possible for me to read that as reporting what was said, rather than the HS saying he raped her, then arguably it is very possible for others to see it the same way.

I just think this is a situation where we leave it to the court to determine the outcome. If indeed the HS or any other media outlet does either directly or by implication state that he is a rapist, then in the event that he is found not guilty, I am sure that there will be steps taken by his legal team to seek reparation for anything said that might be construed to be defamatory.

I assume you are referring to the sentence "At first, she thought he was joking but when she tried to leave, Daw grabbed her arm and raped her."?

If so then I think it is possible to read more into than is the case. To me it reads as though they are reporting what was said, rather than stating "he is a rapist". If it is possible for me to read that as reporting what was said, rather than the HS saying he raped her, then arguably it is very possible for others to see it the same way.

I just think this is a situation where we leave it to the court to determine the outcome. If indeed the HS or any other media outlet does either directly or by implication state that he is a rapist, then in the event that he is found not guilty, I am sure that there will be steps taken by his legal team to seek reparation for anything said that might be construed to be defamatory.
I was referring to:

The woman, who was 15 at the time, claims Daw lured her away from a house party before savagely raping her.

The author could have worded it a whole lot better. "Before allegedly raping her," is a lot better than using the word savagely for dramatic effect, which was used to develop a stronger insinuation that daw is already guilty.

I was referring to:

The author could have worded it a whole lot better. "Before allegedly raping her," is a lot better than using the word savagely for dramatic effect, which was used to develop a stronger insinuation that daw is already guilty.

Yep, okay I accept that.

Speaking as a teacher, you cannot ask people to leave a state school without multiple proven breaches of the law or school rules. Majak was not found guilty of sexual offences while at school, therefore the school could not ask him to leave.

Numerous kids at my high school were told to take a hike for minor reasons, but I guess that was a fair while ago.

That article didn't seem too bad to me, mostly just stated what she claimed under oath and gave the defense's counter to her claims. Most hatchet jobs don't give both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That article didn't seem too bad to me, mostly just stated what she claimed under oath and gave the defense's counter to her claims. Most hatchet jobs don't give both sides.

From the very brief moment that I saw it in print it looked pretty s**t.

Massive headline 1/3 of the page with a photo of Maj.

If the article includes the atheistic of how it's packaged it was quite shite

It's not really what they're reporting on that's the problem; more the way that they've reported on it. The angle they've taken and the emotive language they've used is incredibly distasteful and seriously lacking in integrity. Language used in these type of articles is more important than what they're reporting on. Words like 'lure' and 'savage' and emphasising she was a schoolgirl while only adding on the end that Daw was 16 at the time is specifically designed to elicit an emotional response in readers; particularly one that's hostile towards the defendant. It's articles like this that contribute to people being persecuted in situations like this even if they're found innocent.

Yeah, reading it online from the link in this thread it looked OK to me as well. As far as HeraldSun garbage goes, it was pretty tame.

Gotta say I find this whole thing awful. I'm trying my hardest to not let my vision be clouded by my North goggles. I find it equally hard as a father of two daughters to not let that cloud my judgment.

The thing that worries me most is there will be no definitive outcome. I just hope at some stage there is evidence produced that proves it one way or the other.

What scarres me is if there is no real evidence, so even if Majak gets convicted or found not guilty there will always be the question mark.

I find rape completely unforgivable, I also find falsely accusing someone of rape equally unforgivable.

Man this is messed up

FOOTBALLER Majak Daw has taken the stand in an extraordinary effort to clear his name of rape allegations.

The move follows a week of gruelling testimony in the County Court by his alleged victim and her friends.

Daw has pleaded not guilty to three counts of rape over the alleged attack on the teenager beside Skeleton Creek in Altona Meadows in 2007 when he was aged 16.

Daw has fronted the jury before a courtroom packed with family and friends.

His barrister David Sexton will get the first opportunity to question Daw before Crown prosecutor Andrew McKenry is allowed to cross examine him.

v1

Last week she told the jury Daw had tried to kiss her as they wandered into the darkness away from the party.

At first she thought he was joking but when she tried to leave, Daw grabbed her arm and savagely raped her, she claimed.

But Mr Sexton said in his opening to the jury that it was the woman that instigated outdoor sex with the footballer.

Mr Sexton said Daw alleged the girl walked off with him hand-in-hand.

When they reached a rock they both sat down, where the girl told Daw she liked him.

Daw claims the girl leaned in and kissed him before sitting on his lap and making out.

The court heard she then instigated a sexual encounter beside the footpath.

More to come ...

Another article.

This isnt a so called 'borderline' scenario if such a thing exists (Im not sure it does). Its not a dispute over the clarity of the consent given etc. Someone is sinply lying to the court. Either that or one of the two people are mad and remember fictitious events.

The two stories are at complete and utter odds.

One has Majak lure the girl down to the creek away from the party attempt to kiss her, get rejected then hold her down and rape her.

The other the two walk away from the party hand in hand, sit down by a rock together, tell each other their feelings for each other, make out and then do some sexual things.

The stories are so different that one of them has to be fictitious. It is not a different interpretation on the same event. Either Majak or the girl is lying to the court.

Gotta say I find this whole thing awful. I'm trying my hardest to not let my vision be clouded by my North goggles. I find it equally hard as a father of two daughters to not let that cloud my judgment.

The thing that worries me most is there will be no definitive outcome. I just hope at some stage there is evidence produced that proves it one way or the other.

What scarres me is if there is no real evidence, so even if Majak gets convicted or found not guilty there will always be the question mark.

I find rape completely unforgivable, I also find falsely accusing someone of rape equally unforgivable.

Man this is messed up
Nobody can win here. Would really hate to be on the jury. He said, she said.....just a very sad situation for everyone involved.

Nobody can win here. Would really hate to be on the jury. He said, she said.....just a very sad situation for everyone involved.
Jury genders come into this, a female stereotypically will support the female's version of events over a man's. This is speaking generally and stereotypically, but still, it would be a factor of some sort.

I think this is quite interesting, from the HUN:

Daw, 24, remained composed through aggressive cross-examination by Crown prosecutor Andrew McKenry and showed little emotion until questioned about why his memory of the alleged event was so vivid.

“I’ve been accused of being a rapist since I was 16 so of course I’m going to remember,” he said.

There is no doubt the mental toll would weigh pretty heavily on him, either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back