Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

Was always a favourite of mine due to the Bewick connection (number and as a junior). Plus it's so exciting watching skillful players with real speed and who can kick goals.

Massive what if...even moreso than someone like Gumby. Mainly because we got to see all too brief glimpses of him at his best and they were scintillating. Similar to Dean Rioli in that respect.

up there with Neil Daniher in the "if only" category. an absolute match winner in his day and he had plenty of them.

will never forget his "thread the needle" dribbling goal against (I think) Collingwood. takes a special kind of player to do that.

thanks Licka!

Feel sorry for him that his body just could not hold up

As others have said, was a match winner when fit. He was inconsistent at times but it was worth it for those match winning bursts

What could have been

Does anyone know what happened to this guy in 2015?
He wasn't at the B&F and almost made the quietest exit in the history of EFC.
Did he regret playing again in 2015?
Was he upset about Hird?
I would love to know, because he seemed like a great bloke and was a bit of an inspiration for me personally with his injuries...

Does anyone know what happened to this guy in 2015?
He wasn't at the B&F and almost made the quietest exit in the history of EFC.
Did he regret playing again in 2015?
Was he upset about Hird?
I would love to know, because he seemed like a great bloke and was a bit of an inspiration for me personally with his injuries...
Back was well and truly ****ed

Maybe deserved a media send off?

Was a prized essendon person.

Didn't seem the type of person that would want a big fanfare send off, especially as he kind of did his retirement road show a year earlier, then for some inexplicable reason decided to play on.

I think there was a lot in Winderlich's final 2 seasons that went on behind the scenes.

Didn't seem the type of person that would want a big fanfare send off, especially as he kind of did his retirement road show a year earlier, then for some inexplicable reason decided to play on.

I think there was a lot in Winderlich's final 2 seasons that went on behind the scenes.

100% agree with your final statement.
I would love to find out more. I definitely remember he was filthy with the way Hird was treated at the back end of 2014 so much so he went directly to the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game against the Bulldogs in 2013...

4 goals
Kicks goal of the year...
36 possessions

Then the game against Collingwood, he was everywhere, kicks 4 goals...

This is the player he was when fit...

A star when not injured...

I love how you added on 12 disposals, (24 disposals, 13 marks, 4 goals), haha. Not even close, mate!

He never kicked 4 goals against Collingwood either. Thinking of the Carlton game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back