Wayne Carey at the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In his time at North Melbourne, Wayne Carey was the undisputed king on and off the field. Since his retirement, though, it seems like it's almost been forgotten that he spent the last two years of his career at Adelaide.

I looked up his stats and was surprised to see that he played 28 games for 56 goals -- quite a handy return.

Most people would remember his first game against his old club, which was heavy with emotion and Freudian overtones, although he actually played against the Kangas another two times. My only other memory of his time at Adelaide was having a day out against Essendon and kicking 6 at AAMI Stadium. There was also this goal:

So what are people's thoughts on Wayne's time at the Crows? Did the Crows fans/players embrace him, and do they still? Did North fans find it hard to watch the King playing for another team (I imagine so)?

Sad way to end his career that he couldn't finish up in the blue and white, but no one to blame but himself for that with the way he couldn't control himself off field.

It's funny...u talk to Adelaide supporters and most say he was a dud at Adelaide. On the contrary he was quite serviceable.

In his time at North Melbourne, Wayne Carey was the undisputed king on and off the field. Since his retirement, though, it seems like it's almost been forgotten that he spent the last two years of his career at Adelaide.

I looked up his stats and was surprised to see that he played 28 games for 56 goals -- quite a handy return.

Most people would remember his first game against his old club, which was heavy with emotion and Freudian overtones, although he actually played against the Kangas another two times. My only other memory of his time at Adelaide was having a day out against Essendon and kicking 6 at AAMI Stadium. There was also this goal:

So what are people's thoughts on Wayne's time at the Crows? Did the Crows fans/players embrace him, and do they still? Did North fans find it hard to watch the King playing for another team (I imagine so)?

At the time i hated him so much that i didn't care he was somewhere else...

Hey if Wells - a two time B&F winner by the way - is "serviceable" and an "underachiever", send more serviceable underachievers our way.
We stuffed up in not sending the pick to Fremantle for Pavlich who I think at the time was considering coming home. The pick was also pick 4 I think, and only became pick 2 after Carlton was deemed ineligible to partake given salary cap punishment. So Adelaide wouldn't have known they would have been able to select Wells. For someone picked at number 2, yes he's underachieved.

We stuffed up in not sending the pick to Fremantle for Pavlich who I think at the time was considering coming home. The pick was also pick 4 I think, and only became pick 2 after Carlton was deemed ineligible to partake given salary cap punishment. So Adelaide wouldn't have known they would have been able to select Wells. For someone picked at number 2, yes he's underachieved.

We screwed the pooch on this one. I would have happily kept our pick and got wells who is still playing instead of a guy that played for 2 years. That is huge to trade pick 4 for a 29 or whatever age he was when he came to the crows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tumblr_inline_ndqc17q6TM1sqqavy.jpg

There was an incident where Anthony Stevens tried to bump Carey then clung on desperately to his legs and wouldn't let go. It was like the son, rejected from the womb, seeking to bring down but also to regain acceptance of the almighty schlongfather.

Of all the weird posts I've read on Big Footy over the years, this is somewhere in the middle.

There was an incident where Anthony Stevens tried to bump Carey then clung on desperately to his legs and wouldn't let go. It was like the son, rejected from the womb, seeking to bring down but also to regain acceptance of the almighty schlongfather.
989.gif

The suggestion Pavlich would have come home is a myth that Rucci started.

In hindsight the trade was probably poor. But had he been able to play in 2005, and not retire in 2004 due to his neck injury I reckon we would have won the 2005 flag. That was what that trade was about. The missing piece for a tilt at the flag.

Getting real tired of the Port/Adelaide shitfights infesting every second thread on the main board.

This is a fairly decent off-season thread. Let's make it stay that way.

No further warnings.

It's funny...u talk to Adelaide supporters and most say he was a dud at Adelaide. On the contrary he was quite serviceable.

He was a bit rusty after coming back from a year off, but he was actually playing very good footy before he hit that bloody goal post.

That was the problem though. Knowing what he could do on a football field, and freshened up with a year off, he was expected to be more than serviceable. Silly trade in hindsight given what they gave up for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back