Best player in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I will keep going - 1997!!!
Some years is tough so I have added the players in contention and highlighted the player I would take.

1999 - J Brown/M Pavlich
1998 - L Hayes
1997 - S Black/A Goodes/M Scarlett
1996 - B Pickett/N Brown
1995 - B Harvey/B Hall
1994 - S Lucas/S Grant/M O'Loughlin
1993 - N Lappin/B Johnson
1992 - J Leppitisch
1991 - S Crawford
1990 - J Hird
1989 - P Matera
1988 - C Grant

Few extra names that could probably be argued. If Father/Son picks are included, which at the time were completely off limits to other clubs if they nominated, then should include pre-selections, zones and such as they fall into that draft class.

1988 - Grant the clear stand out.
1989 - Wagnganeen and D.Jarman both a good chance in.
1990 - G.Jakovich deserves a mention.
1991 - Crawford would easily win in an ordinary draft, but Voss as a zone selection takes it.
1992 - Far better than the previous year, Buckley the obvious choice.
1993 - Agree Lappin/Johnson the stand outs, flip of a coin decision.
1994 - Lloyd as a pre-selection hands down.
1995 - Goodwin definitely worth a mention as well. Always seems to get left out of any list.
1996 - Picket isn't even close to Brown and Tredrea in 1996.
1997 - Probably the hardest to choose on this list, can't go wrong with any of the three.
1998 - Lenny clearly above a handful of players a rung below.
1999 - Solid draft, Enright definitely in the equation with McPharlin and Glass just behind.

Rocky is being undersold here. He is a jet. With a great team around him he could be anything
We will see how good he is this season hopefully. He finally has the midfield cattle to push a bit more outside and use his perfectly weighted inside 50 kicks more often. Reminds me a bit of Dane Swan and Luke Power hybrid.

There was a game last year with the craziest stats against the hawks

45 Disposals 20 contested 12 clearances 14 tackles and a goal #workrate

Not sure if that got him any brownlow votes
Yeh that was the first game he really looked like he was back to full fitness. First quarter he dominated had something like 18 touches and a goal and actually carried Brisbane to a three goal lead, obviously wasn't going to hold up all game and hawks obviously way to good run over the top from there.

As far as the Kerr - Burgoyne things goes, posters saying one is so far ahead of the other is just folly. Very hard to judge, two exceptionally good footballers.

s**t Kerr was good at his best. He was a capital S or scintillating. Injuries and other things stopped him from longevity at this level, but his best was as good as almost any. Probably suffers a bit of Simon Black syndrome (one of the all time greatest under-rated players, I put him right up there with the best) in that he was surrounded by sensational players who were successful and who got massive plaudits. Absolutely elite player.

As for Burgoyne? Impact. He has been a vital cog in some great teams and contributed meaningfully all his career almost. Changed and adapted his game accordingly and delivered when it is needed most. When James McDonald came to our training and gave us insights into stoppages in 2009, he told me (as a ruckman) and my on ball crew to watch Burgoyne and Lade. They were the benchmark. His work on the ball, reading taps, finding space and using his sublime skills was also severely under-rated by a lot, I mean a lot of football fans. Absolute gun.

If we are taking all things into consideration, overall I take Burgoyne if i'm starting a team from scratch. I take Kerr if I need someone to win a match if he's at his best. Basically I'm pretty much on the fence. One is not significantly ahead of the other and it's a bit of an apples and oranges situation.

Burgoyne just is my 2c.

Beams is one of the best midfielders in the game he would struggle to be in the top 20, while Naitanui is firmly in the top 20 players in the game.
giphy.gif

Cripps > Bontempelli for 2013.

Do you legitimately think this or is this another one of your passive aggressive responses to Bulldogs players being mentioned favourably like your monumental sook over Jake Stringer?

Do you legitimately think this or is this another one of your passive aggressive responses to Bulldogs players being mentioned favourably like your monumental sook over Jake Stringer?
I bet my left nut Cripps will be a better player at the end of their careers barring injuries. Bont is a good young talent I'm not saying he isn't.

I bet my left nut Cripps will be a better player at the end of their careers barring injuries. Bont is a good young talent I'm not saying he isn't.

Just like the comment you made that "stringer is a nice prospect but I just can't get excited by him at all" over this off-season. Before you admitted to only saying that because you were sick of Bulldogs players being talked up.

Forgive me for not taking you seriously

Just like the comment you made that "stringer is a nice prospect but I just can't get excited by him at all" over this off-season. Before you admitted to only saying that because you were sick of Bulldogs players being talked up.

Forgive me for not taking you seriously
It's okay. Look I'm not a Bulldogs supporter so I understand why you might feel the need to defend your players and club. It might be considered be a bit biased but I suppose everyone is on this forum to some extent. But as a neutral I'll have Cripps over Bont at the end of their careers. Nothing wrong with that because at the end of the day any number of things can happen. Wasn't long ago everyone was saying Jack Watts will save Melbourne when he was drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's okay. Look I'm not a Bulldogs supporter so I understand why you might feel the need to defend your players and club. It might be considered be a bit biased but I suppose everyone is on this forum to some extent. But as a neutral I'll have Cripps over Bont at the end of their careers. Nothing wrong with that because at the end of the day any number of things can happen. Wasn't long ago everyone was saying Jack Watts will save Melbourne when he was drafted.

"When he was drafted" - sure. 2 seasons is were they saying that? You make it sound like Bont is an unknown quantity or something. He's already proven to the best from 2013 and as much as I like Cripps he seems like a meat and potatoes sort of player (that's not a bad thing either, they're crucial for a club).

Lets just all agree Bulldogs youth is the best youth the AFL, nay the entire GAME has ever seen and if they dont win a premiership or three over the next six years there needs to be some serious questions asked.

Nice chip on your shoulder

2000: Reiwoldt
2001: Judd
2002: Goddard
2003: Shaw - beats Cooney IMV because he has sustained his best footy for much, much longer, Cooney was only good for a small period and has played average footy now for a long time.
2004: Franklin
2005: Pendlebury
2006: Selwood
2007: Dangerfield
2008: Beams
2009: Fyfe
2010: Heppell
2011: Wingard (Cameron)
2012: Grundy
2013: Bontempelli
2014: Moore

Look, I'm probably bias with 2012 and 2014 but both have potential to be there, a long way to go with those drafts but they are my prodictions. Heppell is a good reflection of a weak draft as is shaw/cooney
LOL

So many biased supporters in this thread...

2000: Riewoldt
2001: Judd
2002: Goddard
2003: Cooney
2004: Franklin
2005: Pendlebury
2006: Selwood
2007: Dangerfield
2008: Hannebery
2009: Fyfe
2010: Bennell
2011: Cameron
2012: Wines (not including Hogan)
2013: Bontempelli
2014: Heeney

will start at 95
95-Harvey (North)
96-J.Johnson (Essendon)
97-Black (Brisbane)
98-Fevola (Carlton)
99-Brown (Brisbane)
00-Burgoyne (Port)
01-Ablett (Geelong)
02-Goddard (Saints)
03-Shaw (Collingwood)
04-Roughead/Franklin (Hawks) - take your pick
05-Pendlebury (Collingwood)
06-Selwood (Geelong)
07-Rioli (Hawks)
08-Breust (Hawks)
09-Fyfe (Fremantle)
10-Heppell (Essendon)
11-Tom Mitchell (Sydney)
12-Wines (Port)
13-Cripps (Carlton)
14-Heeney (Sydney)
15-Hopper (GWS)

will start at 95
95-Harvey (North)
96-J.Johnson (Essendon)
97-Black (Brisbane)
98-Fevola (Carlton)
99-Brown (Brisbane)
00-Burgoyne (Port)
01-Ablett (Geelong)
02-Goddard (Saints)
03-Shaw (Collingwood)
06-Selwood (Geelong)
07-Rioli (Hawks)
08-Breust (Hawks)
09-Fyfe (Fremantle)
10-Heppell (Essendon)
11-Tom Mitchell (Sydney)
12-Wines (Port)
13-Cripps (Carlton)
14-Heeney (Sydney)
15-Hopper (GWS)

:drunk:

would be a no one in a less dominant team

will start at 95
95-Harvey (North)
96-J.Johnson (Essendon)
97-Black (Brisbane)
98-Fevola (Carlton)
99-Brown (Brisbane)
00-Burgoyne (Port)
01-Ablett (Geelong)
02-Goddard (Saints)
03-Shaw (Collingwood)
06-Selwood (Geelong)
07-Rioli (Hawks)
08-Breust (Hawks)
09-Fyfe (Fremantle)
10-Heppell (Essendon)
11-Tom Mitchell (Sydney)
12-Wines (Port)
13-Cripps (Carlton)
14-Heeney (Sydney)
15-Hopper (GWS)
Did you pick Breust as a distraction to sneak Heppell past us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back