ANZ Stadium’s $350 Million Redevelopment Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

With the whole lock out saga going on Sydney would be losing a crap load. Well run transport out and around western Sydney would be the last thing on their minds.
Anz stadium is only good for State of origin and Grand finals when it comes to NRL, they won't fill it any other times rectangular or oval

so no one likes it. do they try and avoid it crowd wise because when watching nrl some of the games there seem kind of empty or is it just those sides lack fans?
how dare you say that;), there is 101 excuses why the NRL fans dont turn up to games & get decent crowds. but to say the NRL sides lack the fans, thats just the hard truth:eek:

im sure they do, but its popularity is vastly over rated. there is endless excuses for why they never turn up to games. but the crowds to games have always been terrible back to since the crowd counting started 1957
http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

I always find it interesting how much bigger bigfooty is than leagueunlimited in terms of members and number of posts. Makes me wonder if AFL fans are more passionate (passionate enough to join a forum and post) or if there are simply more things to talk about with the AFL than the NRL.

With the whole lock out saga going on Sydney would be losing a crap load. Well run transport out and around western Sydney would be the last thing on their minds.
Anz stadium is only good for State of origin and Grand finals when it comes to NRL, they won't fill it any other times rectangular or oval
Socceroos games they do, some other international soccer teams and Bledisloe Cup games - but the Wallabies better start beating the All blacks soon for that to be maintained.

I always find it interesting how much bigger bigfooty is than leagueunlimited in terms of members and number of posts. Makes me wonder if AFL fans are more passionate (passionate enough to join a forum and post) or if there are simply more things to talk about with the AFL than the NRL.
no there is just far more people that follow AFL than League

TV Ratings arent the be all or end all. theres also notable differences in broadcast arrangments that strongly favour a higher tv ratings average. However counting total ratings the figures are a lot closer than some care to admit.
Wasnt saying it was, and i love bagging the nrl as much as the next person, but its not as bad as bomber stated in his post.

MCG is only good for ANZAC Day and the Grand final when it comes to AFL, they wont fill it any other times rectangular or oval.

Seriously. I hate ANZ Stadium as a venue as much as the next guy. But it's really quiet pathetic watching Victorians s**t on it when almost every piece of s**t flung the way of ANZ Stadium is also applicable to the MCG as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MCG is only good for ANZAC Day and the Grand final when it comes to AFL, they wont fill it any other times rectangular or oval.

Seriously. I hate ANZ Stadium as a venue as much as the next guy. But it's really quiet pathetic watching Victorians s**t on it when almost every piece of s**t flung the way of ANZ Stadium is also applicable to the MCG as well.

I've been to the MCG 100s of times and ANZ probably 10-12 times

For footy:

Sitting in the front row on level Q at the MCG is better than the front row of level 6 at ANZ
Sitting in the back row on level Q at the MCG is better than the back row of level 6 at ANZ
Sitting on level P at the MCG is better than level 4 at ANZ
Sitting behind the goals on level M at the MCG is better than behind the goals on level 1 at ANZ
Sitting on either level N undercover or level M undercover on the wing at the MCG is better than sitting in the X Seats at ANZ

Of course for the Olympics, ANZ was terrific, the last night of the Athletics was a terrific spectacle from level 1 near the finish line

Did you happen to watch the NRL final last year? For a grand final clinching goal, it wasn't very loud at ANZ. Compare it to the 2009 AFL grand final or any other close AFL final at the MCG. Doesn't come near it. ANZ isn't made to deal with crowd volume as well as what the G is.

With NSW you can't believe any of this stuff until you see actual construction happening.

Looks like the NRL gave up on the Redeveloped Allianz Stadium idea pretty quickly once the NSW Government told them they weren't going to pay for it.

It isnt just Victorians who give ANZ Stadium crap, in Sydney its a national sport of its own. One is a stadium that is almost revered in Victorian sport, the other Ive seen calls to demolish...15 years in.

It isnt just Victorians who give ANZ Stadium crap, in Sydney its a national sport of its own. One is a stadium that is almost revered in Victorian sport, the other Ive seen calls to demolish...15 years in.
If the MCG was only 15 years old and in sydney there would be calls to demolish it as well. Its the in thing at the moment. Even the SFS is being looked at for demolition.
Hell only the SCG is safe and that's only because of its history.

If the MCG was only 15 years old and in sydney there would be calls to demolish it as well. Its the in thing at the moment. Even the SFS is being looked at for demolition.
Hell only the SCG is safe and that's only because of its history.

MCG has far more history, and is considered very fondly in Melbourne. We really are sports mad, and that's the focal point of a lot of it and not just the obvious sports, things like fun runs end there (and use ending there as a selling point), etc. It truly is an icon in the local psyche.

I imagine ANZ is more like Docklands in terms of how it's viewed. (Although I think if the financial return at Docklands were better, the view of it would improve, I'm not sure if ANZ has a similar 'fix').

Its revered, try criticising anything to do with the MCG, membership of the MCC is regarded by most Melburnians as social status.

people in Sydney have wanted it demolished since 2001 piece of junk built on the cheap a massive waste of tax payer dollars.
nothing but an oversized athletics track retro fitted for sports that attract crowds large enough to pay for the damn thing.

its a great example why building s**t for one off events is pointless. everyone's left scrambling to try to find a practical use for the new facilities.

Did you happen to watch the NRL final last year? For a grand final clinching goal, it wasn't very loud at ANZ. Compare it to the 2009 AFL grand final or any other close AFL final at the MCG. Doesn't come near it. ANZ isn't made to deal with crowd volume as well as what the G is.
might have something to do with the fact it was 2 x QLD teams ...

So why were the Swans/Eagles AFL grand finals so loud? It's the stadium.
An extra 18k crowd for one. Stadium has some effect, but its still an imposing structure when you're sitting in there. Might have something to do with the style of sport - a fair comparison would be first of all to compare to the noise from the Swans/WCE grand final vs State of Origin at the MCG last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back