Michael Hurley v Josh Kennedy ( WCE )

Which player would you want for the rest of their careers?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough one - I'm of course horribly biased, but Hurley because of his versatility and his 'presence'. Kennedy is already one of the best CHFs in the league, so it's really what many expect Hurley to become.

Kennedy might actually turn out the better forward but Hurley makes up for it with his versatility, plus Hurley is 3 years younger and arguably has more upside to his game.

I voted Hurley purely for flexibility reasons.

I believe Kennedy will be the better forward however.

Really really weird poll, One is an established forward who just had the best season of his career and the other is an up and coming forward who has shown signs of becoming a power house forward of the game

I think Hurley is going to be a top 5 player in the league.

Kennedy is a pretty good player and will be a very good footballer, just does not have that something very special like I see in Hurley.

Hurley in 2 years should be Essendon's captain, will be the best young prospect for being a captain in the league. Not that I don't rate Watson, just think he is a Clydesdale, Hurley is a thorough bred, soon to be a stallion.
For Essendon to get anywhere they need Hurley and 1-3 others to overtake Watson.

Not that I don't rate Watson, just think he is a Clydesdale,
For Essendon to get anywhere they need Hurley and 1-3 others to overtake Watson.

So in you opinion we need 2, 3 or 4 players better than Watson to get anywhere, you underrate Watson.

Hurley is fast becoming Essendon's best player, has game breaking ability.

So in you opinion we need 2, 3 or 4 players better than Watson to get anywhere, you underrate Watson.

Hurley is fast becoming Essendon's best player, has game breaking ability.

Yep, you betcha, either better or equal with him, Swan, Pendles, Cloke, Thomas / Bartel, Chapman, Selwood, Stevie J / Franklin, Mitchell, Hodge, Rioli.
Will put you guys top 4.
but with just Hurley and Watson you will not be top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've gone Hurley because I think his ceiling may be higher. The guy can just do it all, contested marking, quality kick, great football brain, very aggressive in the contest and has real presence. That said he needs to translate his potential into consistent performances in the next couple of years if he wants to become a real star of the competition. I think he will do it. I won't pretend I'm not biased. I'd be surprised if he wasn't our future captain at some point.

Josh Kennedy is a real quality key forward however and what I love about him most is that he works both ways and is a very good tackler which is just a nice bonus. He's a pretty effective kick at goal (his routine is hilarious but hey it works), great mark, good pace. He's a very nice all round package with no real weaknesses and still some good upside. I'd be surprised if he wasn't an AA soon. He's probably current the 3rd best KPF in the game after Franklin/Cloke now that Pav/Brown/Riewoldt have dropped off, although he's still a fair way behind the first 2 names.

There's not much between them and in choosing Hurley I am just suggesting that 3 extra years development will be enough for him to bridge the gap between them. We shall see if that happens or not. Both are quality though.

Kennedy easily here and not even out of bias.

Power forwards are much harder to find or develop than defenders and essentially Hurley is playing back because he is weaker as a forward.

Or look at it like this, how many goals did kennedy kick and how many were kicked on Hurley?

Depends on which position you value more I guess.

Yeah i gotta say Kennedy. Hurley is a gun backman but failed up forward. I would like to see Kennedy play better out of Perth tho

Strange. So many people saying Hurley over Kennedy on here yet the poll has 0 votes to Hurley and 6 votes to Kennedy...

Back