Crows Chat That 'Doesnt Deserve Its Own Thread' Thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching the 2007 Elimination Final on Fox. Always thought Franklin was closer to the boundary than he was for that last kick (even though I was on that wing). As it was it was a regulation kick by Franklin now in hindsight.

How the heck were we ever going to win with the likes of Nick Gill in the side. I shakes my head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching the 2007 Elimination Final on Fox. Always thought Franklin was closer to the boundary than he was for that last kick (even though I was on that wing). As it was it was a regulation kick by Franklin now in hindsight.

How the * were we ever going to win with the likes of Nick Gill in the side. I shakes my head.
Nick Gill was ordinary but Kris Massie was the biggest problem - the mismatch was not his fault though, especially when Nathan Bock begged numbskull Neil ‘Plan A or die’ Craig to let him man up Franklin at half time

Nick Gill was ordinary but Kris Massie was the biggest problem - the mismatch was not his fault though, especially when Nathan Bock begged numbskull Neil ‘Plan A or die’ Craig to let him man up Franklin at half time
The obstinance of Craig to refuse to move our All Australian key defender on to Buddy was when he lost many supporters that he should be coach of AFC.

This was an interesting experiment. As we examine eras in football clubs, ive always thought as an exercise, when does one era start and another end in terms of player generations? Some people use coaches, others use time frames. But what if we used a generational player approach? i.e. when does a generation of players start at a club and when does it end in terms of player influence.

The goal was how best do I link our current generation of players with our inaugural list? The criteria was to select a player who defines a generation. Its not about whose the best player on our list, this exercise is about defining each generation. Of course there is the McLeod, Riccuito, Edwards and Goodwin generation which is easily our most successful generation and then you have the Walker, Dangerfield, Sloane generation of players. Neither however link back to that first match against Hawthorn in 1991. So this means they are overlapping eras. It also means they were all part of the generational change but aren't the players who started the generational change.

The starting point was hard. Which player do I select in the inaugural squad? McDermott, our initial captain? or do I select our longest serving player from the inaugural match? Nigel Smart. The other option was Ben Hart as he was a member of the inaugural squad. But Ben didn't play until 1992 when he was in year 12 and didnt even train with the inaugural squad until that time. so according to my criteria by default this means he fell into the overlapping category.

So I went with Smart. Played in the first game against Hawthorn in Round 1 1991. This in my view was the most important factor.

Smart 1991 - 2004 278 games

Smart to me best defines that inaugural generation of players. He was the backbone of our playing list for a very long time throughout that period. Like him or hate him now, he was still a long serving star player of our list during that time.

So how does the next generation become recognised? Many long time team mates of smart played well past smarts last game. including many greats of the club. To me its the very first player added to the list after Smart left. That Player is Scott Thompson. He symbolises the next true generation of Crows players. He was traded to Adelaide from Melbourne at the end of 2004.

Scott Thompson 2005 - 2017 269 games

Using the same method unfortunately Bryce Gibbs was the first payer added to the list at the end of 2017. (not an exact science) But because he was delisted after 4 years he is DQ and the next player Sam Gibson is DQ as well. Both can neither be classed as the next true representative of the next post Thompson generation. So the honour now goes to...Darcy Fogarty by default. Drafted by Adelaide at the end of 2017.

Darcy Fogarty 2017 - Current 79 AFL games.

Each one of these players in my view represent the playing list upon 100% turnover from one generation to the next. Obviously as expressed in the intro many great players over lap each one of these players careers.

If you cross over with coaches
Smart - Cornes, Shaw, Blight, Ayres
Thompson - Craig, Sanderson, Walsh, Pyke
Fogarty - Pyke, Nicks

There actually isnt any cross over other than Thompson with pyke.

Anyways was just a quick thought experiment to pass the non football days.

Watching the 1998 GF against North.

First quarter thoughts.

Flogged at the contest. But two words that define that Crows team; Pressure and class. We should have been 5 goals down at quarter time, no question. But we kept ourselves in it by consistently applying pressure. Just enough enough pressure at the right times kept us in the game. Combined with the class of Jarman, Goodwin, Rehn and Riccuito just gave us enough to stay in the game.

That 3rd Qtr

Damn, if Mcleod played now he'd easily be the best player in the AFL right this minute. The class of the guy is beyond comprehension.

The Crows class all over the ground brought them back into the game. Jarman, Vardy, Hart and Smart just to name a few. But again, McLeod and Riccuito just pure gold.

That 3rd Qtr

Damn, if Mcleod played now he'd easily be the best player in the AFL right this minute. The class of the guy is beyond comprehension.

The Crows class all over the ground brought them back into the game. Jarman, Vardy, Hart and Smart just to name a few. But again, McLeod and Riccuito just pure gold.
Good luck for the last!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back